• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo removed Tharja trophy from SSB to avoid a higher age rating

maxcriden

If you remember the Tharja trophy from the SSB 3DS leak, you might not be too surprised to find it's not in the final game.

630x.jpg

Tharja was apparently supposed to be in the game as a trophy, and pre-release screenshots have been found online — apparently leaked by the ESRB (and shown below) — which back up this claim. However, the game is now available in Japan, North America and Europe, and none of those versions contain any trace of the aforementioned trophy.

Conjecture suggests that Nintendo removed Tharja because her clothing is too revealing and would have forced the game into a higher age rating bracket, thus limiting the total audience it could potentially reach. We're not sure we totally buy this story, as some of the other female characters in the game are arguably just as scantily-clad.

We really can't stress enough that this is all unconfirmed speculation at this stage — but what are your thoughts?

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...super_smash_bros_to_avoid_a_higher_age_rating

This isn't the first time Nintendo has censored Tharja: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uit_nintendo_of_america_didnt_want_you_to_see

Although, they have no issue showing Chrom in his swim trunks:

630x.jpg

Reply with utter outrage if old.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I guess that rules out Tharja DLC.

Or hey; maybe future DLC will include that Tharja trophy?

To be honest will people care about something that has minimal effect on gameplay?

Considering Nintendo markets to younger audiences, I think this was a good call.

Tripon

I don't think the Japanese version would have taken out Tharja too if it was just for a ERSB rating.

That said, seeing all these Fire Emblem Awakinging Trophies and not being able to get Tharja hurts.

I don't know why they'd be so afraid of the T rating anyway. I think the people most interested in this game have no issue obtaining it.

-Horizon-

Should've censored it then. Throw a cape or some magical curtains onto the trophy. NOA knows how to do that.

We should've gotten a Cherche trophy instead :[

I heard this in one of the Smash threads. I still don't really believe it. Maybe Nintendo was afraid of a higher rating and pulled it, but I just don't see the ESRB upping the rating solely due to this trophy.

Why would a higher rating matter, anyway? Would it affect sales that dramatically?

Skimpy clothing would have gotten you above a T rating?

Oh wait right. I keep using Melee as a reference. I forgot that Nintendo has been using E10+ a lot ever since its creation and they used it for Brawl as well as this game.

Welp.

Haven't the past several Smash games been T rated? Unless they think T is ok on a console but not a handheld.

Melee was but that was before 2005 when the ESRB made E10+.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I blame America for this. It's the only option.

Or maybe they decided to save her for the Wii U version.

I figured this would be a case. There is little reason to cut a trophy other than it was going to get a ratings bump. The thing that annoys me is the look at the Candy Trophy. It is just as barely clothed, but it is ok because she is an animal?
Reference:
CCJT4dQ.jpg

Silky

Banned
What about that other trophy with the large gazongas

Nintendo cool with life, but not hometown

Fuck you nintendo

Why would a higher rating matter, anyway? Would it affect sales that dramatically?

Marketing like what channels the commercials will allow to show the product, store placements like what sections as well as what kind of stores, and probably a few more but I forget the specifics. But for sure a T rating restricts certain avenues that an E rating would allow.

There are thumbnails of all the trophies dumped from the game somewhere.

Are we absolutely sure that Tharja is the only one to have been omitted?

People were thinking a few days after Smash 3DS release that she was a link trophy (think Samus Gunship and Mario & Yoshi in Melee, no in-game method to get those two).

Tharja makes me laugh though. In Europe the swimsiut scene wasn't censored, instead some other dialogue in a different piece of DLC was.

TL21xx

Banned
Skimpy clothing would have gotten you above a T rating?

Oh wait right. I keep using Melee as a reference. I forgot that Nintendo has been using E10+ a lot ever since its creation and they used it for Brawl as well as this game.

Welp.

Brawl was rated T. That being said, they have been averse to the T rating on mainline entries in their big series.

Sapiens

I figured this would be a case. There is little reason to cut a trophy other than it was going to get a ratings bump. The thing that annoys me is the look at the Candy Trophy. It is just as barely clothed, but it is ok because she is an animal?
Reference:
CCJT4dQ.jpg

sf4I3dG.gif

A part of my brain says that is an understandable decision given that they want to appeal to a bigger audience and Tharja outfit is truly hyper sexualized... But I really like Tharja . _ .

It's fine. Tharja and yandere is so 2012 anyway. It's healthy to make 'those people' move on.

I tried man, I tried...

Marcel

A part of my brain says that is an understandable decision given that they want to appeal to a bigger audience and Tharja outfit is truly hyper sexualized... But I really like Tharja . _ .

I tried man, I tried...

Nintendo is cutting you off and putting you in yandere detox. It's for your own good. You'll thank them later.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm fine with this. There's already a ton of Awakening trophies in the game anyway. I could understand people being upset that it was removed if there were only one or two, but that's not the case.

There are thumbnails of all the trophies dumped from the game somewhere.

Are we absolutely sure that Tharja is the only one to have been omitted?

People were thinking a few days after Smash 3DS release that she was a link trophy (think Samus Gunship and Mario & Yoshi in Melee, no in-game method to get those two).

Tharja makes me laugh though. In Europe the swimsiut scene wasn't censored, instead some other dialogue in a different piece of DLC was.
Yep, the texture dump had all 685 trophies. There was another blank spot presumably for the Ice Climbers alt.

maxcriden

But that's due to the affect of not even being able to get into a R rated film if not of age.
Anyone can buy a T rated game still.

Oh, good point. I guess the argument would only extend as far as some parents not wanting their younger children to have T-rated games, then.

Sephzilla

Meh, I can understand that they want to market the game to as many people as possible. But I still wish Nintendo would stop trying to act like an overbearing parent. I can't complain about Nintendo too much though, they are giving us Bayonetta 2.

Top Bottom