• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo removed Tharja trophy from SSB to avoid a higher age rating

SykoTech

Uh, wow if true. And people thought Bayonetta actually had a chance at getting in.

Can't say I'm really bothered, but I don't see what the big deal a T rating would have been. I sincerely doubt that's a big of a detractor to audiences like a M rating, or R rating when it comes to movies.

Marcel

I'd bet some of the offended parties have actual physical waifu trophies they can ogle. Perhaps you should take care of your waifu situation at home before you start worrying about some unattainable girl that may or may not be a hoax.

You'll have to regale back to the days of NES then.

Xbox Live Indie games has me covered.
mqdefault.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
isn't Fire Embelm Awakaning rated T as Smash?
and if a "too sexy" trophy was the reason, why don't just create a model following the FE Awakaning model, that was rated in the same way Smash was?

-Horizon-

and if a "too sexy" trophy was the reason, why don't just create a model following the FE Awakaning model, that was rated in the same way Smash was?

Fire Emblem Awakening was rated T in NA and it was still censored (in DLC of all things). NOA mindset.

Veeboy

Thats the thing, they wanted to avoid a T rating. The Tharja trophy might've bumped it up from E10+ to T.

jwhit28

Fire Emblem Awakening was rated T in NA and it was still censored (in DLC of all things). NOA mindset.

Why do you believe a developer would go through the extra work if not for ESRB input? I mean this isn't the same Nintendo from SNES days. Cross promoting with Shin Megami Tensei and publishing Bayonetta 2 while allowing Platinum to dress her up as wholesome Nintendo characters is pretty progressive.

Marcel

The removal vs. censorship thing strikes me more as a expediency issue anyway. It's easier to simply drop something than fashion a new trophy model.

zruben

Banned

ESRB is the one giving the ratings, not Nintendo.

Probably the bikini scene bumped the game to an "M" rating or something and it was something that Nintendo wanted to avoid for some reasons, (probably marketing and "ease-to-sell")

pantsmith

Maybe not a T rating, though I'm sure someone somewhere at Nintendo entertained the idea of that trophy in a "kids game" might inspire some kind of negative attention and it was best avoided.

-Horizon-

Why do you believe a developer would go through the extra work if not for ESRB input? I mean this isn't the same Nintendo from SNES days. Cross promoting with Shin Megami Tensei and publishing Bayonetta 2 while allowing Platinum to dress her up as wholesome Nintendo characters is pretty progressive.

What I don't get is why they went this censoring route with Fire Emblem of all things which they already got a T rating for? I doubt it would've been bumped up to an M if they showed all of Tharja in a DLC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Seems like more a case of Nintendo simply being tasteful.

Character popularity aside, is there anything particularly distasteful about the Tharja trophy? Especially considering the inclusion of ZSS? I don't see it. Which is also why I don't buy the "avoiding T rating" rumor.

Nintendo is so particular about these sort of thing that I don't doubt it. Course I'm not a Tharja fan cause if I'm looking for yandere-eque girl there are so many better options out there.

Character popularity aside, is there anything particularly distasteful about the Tharja trophy? Especially considering the inclusion of ZSS? I don't see it. Which is also why I don't buy the "avoiding T rating" rumor.
Yeah, that is my main issue as well. I really do not see anything not tasteful in her outfit. Sure it is a nylon like material, but it is still covered. I seen 8 year olds on dance teams wear skimpier outfits than Tharja.

-Horizon-

ESRB is the one giving the ratings, not Nintendo.

Probably the bikini scene bumped the game to an "M" rating or something and it was something that Nintendo wanted to avoid for some reasons, (probably marketing and "ease-to-sell")

ESRB are a bunch of prudes then if a bikini is enough to bump it up to an M.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I want a Zero Suit Seamus. Scottish guy with the classic Mega Man from SFxT physique with a long ginger beard.

zruben

Banned
ESRB are a bunch of prudes then if a bikini is enough to bump it up to an M.

not that I agree with them, but it was a bikini + a slightly suggestive pose.

kinda NSFW (anime girls in bikini)
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478390-25d0b14fd95890fab2abd7cbfd1f6d101367603443_full.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478389-16f0c7c7541ec7225cb0180ae721ef781367603480_full.jpg

this, however, remained uncensored.
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478397-sumia.jpg
LOL @ URL, she's not Sumia.

so, I don't really know what the hell is going on with ESRB. Seems to depend too much on the mood of the person checking the content.

There are thumbnails of all the trophies dumped from the game somewhere.

Are we absolutely sure that Tharja is the only one to have been omitted?

People were thinking a few days after Smash 3DS release that she was a link trophy (think Samus Gunship and Mario & Yoshi in Melee, no in-game method to get those two).

Tharja makes me laugh though. In Europe the swimsiut scene wasn't censored, instead some other dialogue in a different piece of DLC was.

There's an additional hole where Ice Climber's all star trophy would have went and a few other random holes we don't know what they were for.

-Horizon-

not that I agree with them, but it was a bikini + a slightly suggestive pose.

kinda NSFW (anime girls in bikini)
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478390-25d0b14fd95890fab2abd7cbfd1f6d101367603443_full.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478389-16f0c7c7541ec7225cb0180ae721ef781367603480_full.jpg

this, however, remained uncensored.
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/12/120766/2478397-sumia.jpg
LOL @ URL, she's not Sumia.

so, I don't really know what the hell is going on with ESRB. Seems to depend too much on the mood of the person checking the content.

Cordelia wishes she was Sumia.
then she could actually S-rank Chrom HA!

But yeah, ESRB is inconsistent.

kick51

Banned
That's a good change IMO. Th\e panties in Brawl served no purpose other than having something for perverts to drool over.

well the black hole is a little ridiculous too. give her some old timey bloomers or something if panties are a problem.

they designed something too sexy at Nintendo is a strange concept to think about

Tharja deserves a solo game rated to Bayonetta standards or put her in Fatal Frame V lol

Marcel

The black-or-white fallacy should be avoided.

Everyone would say Smash Wii U looks more "realistic" than previous games.

It's more making light of people 'concerned' with the business going on underneath Peach's skirt. It's the same thing as 'concerned' people who want to ogle a digital trophy.

It's pretty obvious where their intentions and motivations lie. The Life and Hometown reference was already made by someone earlier. Does it need to be made more obvious?

Top Bottom