• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo removed Tharja trophy from SSB to avoid a higher age rating

But that's due to the affect of not even being able to get into a R rated film if not of age.
Anyone can buy a T rated game still.

Not at Walmart, GameStop, or Best Buy, those three businesses have an official policy of enforcing the ESRB for ratings T and above. At Walmart the cashier can be fired for selling a T or above game to someone too young without their parent present.

Not at Walmart, GameStop, or Best Buy, those three businesses have an official policy of enforcing the ESRB for ratings T and above. At Walmart the cashier can be fired for selling a T or above game to someone too young without their parent present.

Really? Not at anyone I have ever been to. Only M games get that kinda treatment.

Tamanator

Did Nintendo remove the Tharja trophy to test our social justice fortitude?

Seriously though, would one trophy really impact the rating of a game? Surely that would be asinine and a showcase of the arbitrary nature of the classification process.

In regards to the above posts, that's surprising. In Australia you only need ID/parents present for a MA15+ game, and R now of course. I was buying M rated games on my own when I was 12/13 with no problems.

OK.

ZSS & Sheik are separate characters because the 3DS can't handle it? OK. This worked out for the better.

3DS can't handle that Popo & Nana because Ice Climbers be so chill? A bit miffed about this.

Remove best waifu's trophy? LET'S FIGHT NOW!!!

Shulk in trunks is okay. Skin tight ZSS is okay. ZSS all is okay. Draw the line at Tharja. Thanks Nintendo.

Now I really want to pick up Tharja's Scale Figure...

kick51

Banned
I figured this would be a case. There is little reason to cut a trophy other than it was going to get a ratings bump. The thing that annoys me is the look at the Candy Trophy. It is just as barely clothed, but it is ok because she is an animal?
Reference:
CCJT4dQ.jpg

"just by glancing at them, she makes guys wonder if she likes them"

was this written by a 10 year old

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Guys its already explained why they went for the E rating instead of letting it go to T, its so they can market it on channels/programs they wouldnt be able to otherwise.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Someone should show Nintendo their own demographic profile.

Guys its already explained why they went for the E rating instead of letting it go to T, its so they can market it on channels/programs they wouldnt be able to otherwise.

Smash has always been T-rated, though, hasn't it?

It's always been rated USK12 here in Germany and I bet it wouldn't have pushed that rating in the slightest if that Tharja trophy had been included.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not calling you a liar, but I think you may be mistaken. The rating is only enforced on Mature games. Unless this has changed in the past year, which it may have.

Is this a rumor or just speculation? Either way it's probably accurate though, the ESRB has an established vendetta against Tharja's butt.

Marcel

Someone should show Nintendo their own demographic profile.

Nintendo still tries to be popular with all ages to varying degrees of success. They'd like to have the younger and casual market again, despite the actual market trends working totally against them.

Into

If it was a entire character i could see a dilemma, but even then id cut a whole character to get that rating for marketing purposes unless the character was iconic like Mario or Pikachu.

But its just a trophy, something only a fraction will even care about, and even smaller fraction will spend 9 seconds rotating on their 3DS to look at it once. Its about as insignificant as it gets. So yeah, makes sense

It's always been rated USK12 here in Germany and I bet it wouldn't have pushed that rating in the slightest if that Tharja trophy had been included.

Melee was only T because E10 didn't exist at the time. And Brawl was T because of Snake IIRC.

zruben

Banned
well, if this is true, I'm guessing that the ESRB is the one calling the shots here. They rate the games before release and they probably make some sort of report for the reasons of the rating they are giving it.

also, Fire Emblem: Awakening is rated T and that game feature Tharja in a significant role. She also appears in bikini there... I really don't see the reason as why Nintendo would voluntarily chose to remove the assist trophy.

Wanting a "T" instead of an "M" in a family-friendly game seems totally reasonable for Nintendo.
Rating an "M" instead of a "T" for an assist trophy of a "T-rated" game seems unreasonable for ESRB.

Grow up Nintendo, seriously. It's 2014 not 1984. Smash isn't catering to 7 year olds.

The difference between an E10 rating and a T rating is being able to advertise on channels like Disney and Nickelodean. It's not about 'growing up' it's about trying to net as large of an audience as possible.

My god, if Nintendo goes for the hardcore, they get attacked for pandering to a diminishing audience. If Nintendo goes for an expanded audience they get yelled at for not catering to the older more hard core audience. How the hell Iwata hasn't gone insane is beyond me.

Wanting a "T" instead of an "M" in a family-friendly game seems totally reasonable for Nintendo.
Rating an "M" instead of a "T" for an assist trophy of a "T-rated" game seems unreasonable for ESRB.

E10 versus T, not T versus M.

What about SSB64? Was that rated T as well?

That one was rated E actually but that was also before the ESRB got more strict I believe. That and the way Smash 64 ran and played it was definitively more playful suiting to a E rating than the later games.

Cause 10 year olds have never seen movies or tv shows with women wearing a swimsuit. Lol.

Nah man its banned on children's TV lol.

Cause 10 year olds have never seen movies or tv shows with women wearing a swimsuit. Lol.

Nintendo wants to advertise to children. Most TV networks have rules about showing ads for mature content on their channels (actually think it's FCC regulations, but not sure).

That one was rated E actually but that was also before the ESRB got more strict I believe. That and the way Smash 64 ran and played it was definitively more playful suiting to a E rating than the later games.

I believe this was before the addition of the E10 rating.

Monster Zero

Is this a rumor or just speculation? Either way it's probably accurate though, the ESRB has an established vendetta against Tharja's butt.

They Literally use the words conjecture, and unconfirmed speculation, but its too late for Nintendo, this now goes in the vault with other unconfirmed Nintendo rumors that will get spouted off as fact.

Marcel

How can we fight back against the nefarious ESRB and their agenda against partially visible buttcheeks?

I think Tharja fans should begin a letter writing campaign to take the buttcheeks back. Be sure to mention that she's your 'waifu' and want her buttcheeks as visible as possible because reasons.

I think Tharja fans should begin a letter writing campaign to take the buttcheeks back. Be sure to mention that she's your 'waifu' and want her buttcheeks as visible as possible because reasons.

Having played the heck out of FE:A, I'm still not sure why people are so obsessed with Tharja... people just into emotionally damaged characters?

jwhit28

I wonder just how different the ratings board criteria across Japan, Europe, and USA for the same age group can be.

Jawmuncher

Seriously? That's some ridiculous shit.
Do they have the same practice for PG-13 films or are they hypocrites?

I was just gonna suggest boycotting every game with an ESRB rating.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

No, the only one that was rated T, and stayed that way was brawl, most likely because of snake melee was originally T but dropped down to 10+

Top Bottom