• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ambient music vs. melodious music

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Melodious might not be the right term, and ambient probably isn't 100% accurate either... I mean, all music has melody, but I'm trying to make a distinction in the purpose behind the music. I tend to find western games lean towards the former, and Japanese lean towards the latter.

An example of ambient music can be found in Skyrim or World of Warcraft, and has generally has more a more sweeping, "atmospheric" feel to it.

Whereas melodious music focuses much more on creating a piece of music that can stand on its own, but also function as a background piece. Castlevania is more like this.

There isn't always a clear distinction - there are tracks like House of Sacred Remains, which leans towards the melodious side of things, also has a sense of ambiance to it. But, for the most part, a game will choose one or the other. And despite the generalization I made about western/Japanese games, it isn't always the case - Shadow of the Colossus is very ambient and Hollywood-esque, despite being a Japanese game.

What's your personal preference?

Edit: I guess "melodic" would be the more appropriate word.

Thoraxes

I don't really have a preference. It's more on the composer for me than anything.

Like, I love everything Masashi Hamauzu composes, from his ambient works to his melodic works. I have a really good auditory memory and classical training though, so my capacity for retaining, memorizing, and analyzing audio is greater than the common person. I can tell how both styles are composed simply by listening to them, and I always understand how they construct their music, ambient or melodic.

Having an ear to recognize the nuance in ambient music is something that's really hard for the common listener.

I think the tendency to associate western games with ambient or incidental music stems from the tendency for western, mostly personal computer-originated genres in games to offer more freeform and much less deliberately paced action and progression. I don't think it's more than that, though, and Japanese games traditionally favored the forced-scroll, more linearly designed progress and a more showy and focused thematic approach that came from arcades for their short sessions which bled right into console games. Beyond that, I think there is quite a lot of overlap between the two sides of the world as each influenced the other and had to make choices that fit the games they worked inside of.

I prefer more strong melodies backing the action, defining the world, personally, but some choice moments for ambient sounds does help break up the constant radio-playlist effect of too many songs playing next to each other.

desmax

Depends on the situation.

For a Boss Battle I prefer a more melodious theme, while a calm moment I prefer an ambient one

Ansatz

It was sad to read that Konami higher ups considered the soundtrack of OoE to be too "feminine" and wanted to go for the opposite in LoS, whatever the fuck that means.

Basically, to me this is Castlevania, while this is something awfully off-putting. I would probably die of boredom if I played a Castlevania game with that as its music, even if it was mechanically sound.

I love melodic music. Stuff like Final Fantasy and the Chrono games stay with me forever because of their music. Games with ambient music aren't nearly as memorable.

WillyFive

Melodies are what makes music come alive and bring the game/movie/show into another level. Ambient music doesn't really do that well, I've found; only rarely do I even remember them and never bother to listen to them outside of the game/show/movie it was on. It's exactly what it is, background noise; melodious music aims to be more than that, and usually does just that.

I prefer melodic music over ambient music. It's more memorable and stands out more. My favorite tunes of all time are melodic. Ambient music even when appropriate just seem kind of boring at times. Most ambient music I can't even remember after I'm done with the game.

Razzer

It really depends on my mood, and how I want to listen to the music. Melodic music can be great for getting me pumped for a level, or help me find my flow state, amongst other various tasks. Ambient music is better to just, shut off and listen to whilst wandering. Rather than inspiring specific feelings, it gets me into a mentality. A good example would be the Ecco ost which I rediscovered today thanks to that thread earlier.

Melodic works in more situations, I think, but ambient can be incredible in the right situation.

Skilletor

Really depends on the game. I would never want melodious music in my old Tomb Raider games and I wouldn't want Ambient music in Bayonetta.

Really depends on the game. I would never want melodious music in my old Tomb Raider games and I wouldn't want Ambient music in Bayonetta.

This post brings up a good point, a third option: silence. TR worked, IMO, especially well because your stimulation level was set to pay more attention to the world you were looking at rather than having part of your brain busy being entertained by the loops of music when the only audio that wasn't sound effects from in-game actions and entities was short chimes. A throwback to older games in the 80s before everything was made to include music playing all of the time, but for a lonely environment traversal and exploration game, like Tomb Raider, it was perfect.

Ansatz

What category does Phendrana Drifts fall under? It's definitely slower paced / more ambient than the typical upbeat Japanese soundtrack, but at the same time I find it extremely appealing.

Hubb

I like both and both have their own places in games. I prefer melodious more just because I am more likely to listen to it outside of the game.

woopWOOP

Ambient music works very well with adventure/open-world type games I feel. Maybe because it doesn't distract as much? I dunno.

I prefer melodic music though.

Hubb

What category does Phendrana Drifts fall under? It's definitely slower paced / more ambient than the typical upbeat Japanese soundtrack, but at the same time I find it extremely appealing.

It sounds like a hybrid of the two, but I would say it is more ambient than melodious. Though it does have a simple melody that is present throughout the piece.

Scratch that, going by OPs definitions I'd say it falls under ambient.

WillyFive

Ambient music works very well with adventure/open-world type games I feel. Maybe because it doesn't distract as much? I dunno.

I prefer melodic music though.

Melodic music has the power to add even more to an adventure game than ambient ones, compare the Zelda overworld music to the tracks Skyrim plays. One adds so much to the feel and worldbuilding to the gameplay, while the other just barely keeps the game from having dead air.

Lime

I'm a huge sucker for ambient. I love the way it gives texture to an experience in subtle and organic ways. The early stuff by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick in Mass Effect 1; Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill soundtracks; Siren: Blood Curse's OST; Machinarium OST; Rik Schaffer's work on Vampire: Bloodlines; Red Dead Redemption's OST (bordering on melodic though); Austin Wintory does some nice ambient stuff as well on Banner Saga.

kevm3

Melodic easily. I guess ambient is cool when I'm just riding around in some big, open landscape, but it never really adds anything to the game for me. On the other hand, music from all the snes Square classics, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc., have melodic music that can instantly bring you back when you hear it.

I think both have their place, but sometimes I also think people don't believe a balance can be attained by way of using both. You really don't see games that try to to balance the use of ambient and melodic music(or see it less now than before). I think, while we are on Castlevania, Super Castlevania IV actually balanced the OST between use of atmospheric, ambient tracks and heavily melodic tunes(even some Progressive Rock-ish styled tunes, which this one gives me some Alan Parson's Project vibes). In a way, I actually kinda prefer that, and in SCV4's case, no song felt out of place. The ambient ones added to the feel fo those stages and the heavily melodic ones added to the energy of their stages. There's a place for all styles. I think studios have to stop being afraid of going either one way or the other, and try to incorporate both in choice situations. I wouldn't think it's hard, you just need a keen eye(and ear) to distinguish what works best at when. Maybe even an open-mind(as the trend to have either one or the other, ONLY, has no doubt conditioned some to believe that's the ONLY way you can have it).

Veldin

Obviously both have their place among soundtracks depending on the type of game and the events/environments that it sends the player into.

I feel like ambient, atmospheric music definitely doesn't get enough credit by comparison though. There's a lot of MMOs with great soundtracks that go for that style for the most part, like Anarchy Online.

klee123

Much much prefer melodic tracks simply because they are memorable.

Which probably further explains why I enjoy Japanese games more in general. Music is a very important part of the overall experience to me.

It's funny with Fallout 3 and New Vegas which I enjoyed both a lot. I spent the entire time listening to the vintage radio stations instead of the ambient music.

The problem with most music under the "cinematic" or "atmospheric" isn't that they're that, it's that they're completely subservient and groveling non-entities. They are mixed into the background, almost in shame. Hans Zimmer work.

Compare that with Character Creation or Lurking in the Chasms that are memorable by BEING worth remembering. An entirely better result.

I -hate- when a game has only atmospheric music. Music is one of the most important things in a game, and can completely change everything about it, so when you take that music and make it something in the background? Like it doesn't matter? Well guess what your game doesn't matter to me.

If I don't come away from your game thinking about the music, and the effect it had on the game, then I just don't care. I only know the one iconic Halo track. You could play the whole OST for me, minus that one song, and I'd never figure out it was Halo. Play three notes of Castlevania and I'm swept back into it.

Hell even Dark Souls, which very rarely even -has- music, has great musical design. The chaotic dissonance in the boss themes sticks out and gives it personality!

It's all about whether or not you felt like music was important in your game, or if it's just there to fill silence so people don't complain about your game being quiet.

EDIT: Exactly this.

The problem with most music under the "cinematic" or "atmospheric" isn't that they're that, it's that they're completely subservient and groveling non-entities. They are mixed into the background, almost in shame. Hans Zimmer work.

Compare that with Character Creation or Lurking in the Chasms that are memorable by BEING worth remembering. An entirely better result.

Teremap

Banned
I tend to be on the side of "melodic." Ambient styles have their place, but there's something so boldly theatrical about attaching a melodic piece to events in games, movies, and TV. Something that calls attention to itself because it's deliberately not simply filling out a scene, but playing a role in that scene. Even atmospheric titles like Demon Souls where you'd think ambiance rules the day are improved in those moments where melody takes over.

I think a combination of both can work very well though. Ambient tracks to set the tone and melodic ones to drive home big moments and give scenes a unique identity. Rockstar has done great things with that strategy in games like Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This distinction is why I think Final Fantasy XII's soundtrack is so divisive. It's a more ambient soundtrack for a series, genre and cultural origin that is typically more melodic.

That's why you get some fans who were like "WTF the music sucked and was not memorable" when it's a fantastic soundtrack. Its appeal is just completely different.

saturnine

The problem with most music under the "cinematic" or "atmospheric" isn't that they're that, it's that they're completely subservient and groveling non-entities. They are mixed into the background, almost in shame. Hans

This is the thing.
"Melodious" music is like a speech : it adds another possible layer of meaning to a scene/setting in a very clear manner. It can flow with the part of the game it is used with, it can clash against it, it can go in a completely different way to express an idea that was not evident in the first place. It is an incredibly powerful tool.

It's not impossible to do so with "ambient" music but it is a lot harder to pull off.

Of course most of the time it works best when both styles are present in the same soundtrack.

Phil S.

Banned
I definitely love melodic music more than atmospheric stuff. If a soundtrack is mostly made up of the latter, it's a turn-off. It just reminds me too much of "gaming turning into Hollywood" for one, and secondly, I just love to have something that will stick in my head long after I'm done with the game. That doesn't mean atmospheric stuff is bad. I just don't want a whole game full of it, save for a main theme or something.

GamerJM

Banned
Melodic. I have trouble getting into ambient music in general. Just not really my thing I guess. Melodic music just gives me more pleasure to listen to and that's ultimately what I'm looking for.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Melodic. I have trouble getting into ambient music in general. Just not really my thing I guess. Melodic music just gives me more pleasure to listen to and that's ultimately what I'm looking for.

Yeah. If you're engaging with music, really want to listen to it, maybe even outside of the game on an audio player even, of course melodic has the advantage.

Frologic

I -hate- when a game has only atmospheric music. Music is one of the most important things in a game, and can completely change everything about it, so when you take that music and make it something in the background? Like it doesn't matter? Well guess what your game doesn't matter to me.

If I don't come away from your game thinking about the music, and the effect it had on the game, then I just don't care. I only know the one iconic Halo track. You could play the whole OST for me, minus that one song, and I'd never figure out it was Halo. Play three notes of Castlevania and I'm swept back into it.

Hell even Dark Souls, which very rarely even -has- music, has great musical design. The chaotic dissonance in the boss themes sticks out and gives it personality!

It's all about whether or not you felt like music was important in your game, or if it's just there to fill silence so people don't complain about your game being quiet.

EDIT: Exactly this.

I think ambient music does a better job in setting up a particular tone or atmosphere in certain parts of a game. A lot of the tracks you don't remember in Halo aren't as iconic as the main theme but the ambient tracks do an amazing job of highlighting a contemplative moment or setting a certain atmosphere. Example: You may not remember this music but when used at this moment, it worked wonderfully, especially since this took place right after a huge battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAx3oWG6vQk

Limbo is one of favorite game soundtracks and it's all ambient music. Can't imagine it with a melodic soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FDmIJ4n3U

I think ambient music does a better job in setting up a particular tone or atmosphere in certain parts of a game. A lot of the tracks you don't remember in Halo aren't as iconic as the main theme but the ambient tracks do an amazing job of highlighting a contemplative moment or setting a certain atmosphere. Example: You may not remember this music but when used at this moment, it worked wonderfully, especially since this took place right after a huge battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAx3oWG6vQk

Limbo is one of favorite game soundtracks and it's all ambient music. Can't imagine it with a melodic soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FDmIJ4n3U

And others do both, as I have already proven. It's like half a song except in rare cases of austere "empty" areas, like abandoned mines and such as "audible silence"

Jawmuncher

Melodious all the way.
Ambient rarely does anything for me.
To the point where I can have the music turned off and be just as good to go with whatever they were trying to set.

Steel

Banned
Can't say I really have a preference though I find the latter more memorable and the former less distracting.

I prefer melodious music. I can respect those who enjoy ambient music, but it hardly ever does anything for me. I often see some people laud certain tracks (such as the previously mentioned Phendrana Drifts), but I've always been apathetic toward the popular ambient tracks.

Top Bottom