• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2014. The Wakandan turkey leglock is a time-honored tradition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I'll finish the write-ups and header tomorrow. Sleep now.)

1vTr6xV.png

tCUaKcQ.png

Let's check out some of the comics you'll be reading between bites of turkey and cornbread stuffing this November:

MR6n8.png

KHUnmna.jpg

ILrh2Cf.jpg

+Amazing Spider-Man #9 & 10 by Dan Slott and Olivier Coipel (Nov 5, 19).
+All-New Captain America #1 by Rick Remender and Stuart Immonen (Nov 12).
+Superior Iron Man #1 & 2 by Tom Taylor and Yildiray Cinar (Nov 12, 26).
+Avengers #38/New Avengers #26 & 27 by Jonathan Hickman, Stefano Caselli and Kev Walker (Nov 19, 26).
+Spider-Woman #1 by Dennis Hopeless and Greg Land (Nov 19).
+Secret Avengers #10 by Ales Kot and Michael Walsh (Nov 26).

QV0uw.png

ZPaZFYl.jpg

VIUK6O9.jpg

+The Kitchen #1 by Ollie Masters and Ming Doyle (Nov 12).
+Batman #36 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Nov 12).
+Harley Quinn #12 by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin (Nov 19).
+The Multiversity: Pax Americana #1 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (Nov 19).
+Wonder Woman #36 by Meredith and David Finch (Nov 19).
+Gotham by Midnight #1 by Ray Fawkes and Ben Templesmith (Nov 26).

9sam5.png

f1XGtEk.jpg

CXYtcAx.jpg

+The Fuse #7 by Antony Johnston and Justin Greenwood (Nov 5).
+Tooth & Claw #1 by Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey (Nov 5).
+Intersect #1 by Ray Fawkes (Nov 19).
+Sinergy #1 by Michael Avon Oeming and Taki Soma (Nov 19).
+Ody-C #1 by Matt Fraction and Christian Ward (Nov 26).
+Southern Bastards #6 by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour (Nov 26).

9CWx4.png

LFzhZ45.jpg

Ss94Jcj.jpg

+Ghost Fleet #1 by Donny Cates and Daniel Warren Johnson (Nov 5).
+Grindhouse: Drive In, Bleed Out #1 by Alex de Campi and R.M. Guera (Nov 12).
+Itty Bitty Comics: The Mask #1 by Art Baltazar and Franco (Nov 12).
+Resurrectionists #1 by Fred Van Lente and Maurizio Rosenzweig (Nov 12).
+BPRD: Hell on Earth #125 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi and James Harren (Nov 19).
+Tomb Raider #10 by Gail Simone, Rhianna Pratchett and Derlis Santacruz (Nov 26).

ymY7S.png

jtPgVtO.jpg

oPZW2QA.jpg

+Angry Birds/Transformers #1 by John Barber, Marcelo Ferreira and Livio Ramondelli (Nov 12).
+Ragnorok #3 by Walter Simonson (Nov 12).
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #40 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman and Mateus Santolouco (Nov 12).
+Transformers #35 by John Barber and Andrew Griffith (Nov 12).
+Cartoon Network Super Secret Crisis War #6 by Louise Simonson and Derek Charm (Nov 19).
+Shadow Show #1 by Joe Hill, Jason Ciaramella and Charles Wilson III (Nov 26).

4T1fu.png

UcfLhf7.jpg

KREO0Wm.jpg

+Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel #1 by Peter Milligan and Cary Nord (Valiant, Nov 5).
+John Carter: Warlord of Mars #1 by Ron Marz and Abhishek Malsuni (Dynamite, Nov 5).
+Terrible Lizard #1 by Cullen Bunn and Drew Moss (Oni, Nov 5).
+Deep State #1 by Justin Jordan and Ariela Kristantina (Boom!, Nov 12).
+Afterlife with Archie #7 by Roberto Aguirre Sacasa, Francesco Francavilla and Jack Morelli (Archie, Nov 26).
+Capture Creatures #1 by Frank Gibson and Becky Dreistadt (Boom!, Nov 26).

5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

HdRtPS8.jpg

1ST PLACE WINNER:
Harley Quinn #11; written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti; pencils by Chad Hardin; colors by Alex Sinclair; published by DC Comics (27pts)

2ND PLACE FINISHER:
Grayson #3; written by Tim Seeley and Tom King; pencils by Mikel Janin; colors by Jeromy Cox; published by DC Comics (25 pts)

3RD PLACE FINISHER:
Batman #35; written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV; pencils by Greg Capullo, Danny Miki and Kelley Jones; colors by FCO Plascencia and Michelle Madsen; published by DC Comics (19 pts)

Here's How It Works
In the last week of the month (or earlier, if you're confident about your choices), any GAF member can send me a private message with their personal picks for the three best single issues released that month, from any publisher. These picks should be arranged in order of rank -- first, second, and third place -- and each ranking will be worth a specific point value. A first place ranking for a comic is worth 5 points; a second place is worth 3 points; a third place, 2 points. Then before next month's COMICS! OT goes live, I'll tally the results and point values from each ballot, and post the top three overall winners in the next OP as last month's, GAF-approved, best of the best. Then, maybe at the end of the year, we'll have a showdown between the year's top finishers or something similar.

A Sample Ballot
This is an example of how a sample ballot submitted by you might look. You don't have to use this formatting but I do ask that, however you send it to me, you are CLEAR on which comics you are voting for and in what order they are ranked.

Average GAF Member said:
1st Place: "Super-Fun Team Adventures" #14 (Mystery Comics; story by Jack Johnson, art by John Jackson) [worth 5 points.]
2nd Place: "Children's Bedtime Stories, Only With Nudity and Cursing" #69 (Happy Puppy Publishing; story by Jane Doe, art by John Doelner) [worth 3 points.]
3rd Place: "Grimdark, Extreme, and McDarkerson" #474 (Amazing Comics; story & art by Smitty Smithengen) [worth 2 points.]

The Voting Rules
1. Only single issues released that month are to be considered for voting; no trade collections, and no "just caught up" considerations for issues released one/two/however many months ago. Sorry if this excludes you from the voting process, trade-only readers and mail-order folk. I didn't see any other way.
2. Each GAF member is allowed one ballot, and once that ballot has been cast you are done for the month. If an issue comes out and you think it's the best comic you've ever read or will ever read, but you already cast your vote the week before, that's too bad. In other words, there are no take-backs so VOTE THOUGHTFULLY.
3. Three comics per ballot, and no more. You could send me a list of the ten best comics that month, with full paragraph summaries on why you ranked them in what order; but in the end, I'm only going to tally points for the top three and ignore the rest. You CAN pick just one book as the best that month... but that one vote is still worth only 5 points.
4. No ties on the ballots, please. You have to pick three comics as the best that month, and you have to rank them "1st, 2nd, 3rd" so that I can assign points to each. If you're torn between two issues of two different series as the best that month, and you can't decide which one you loved more than the other, TRY.
5. To make things a bit easier on me when it comes to making the OP, I'm establishing a deadline for casting ballots of 6pm Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the month. You can cast your ballot at any time during the month that you wish; however once that deadline has passed, any ballots sent to me will be ignored.
6. Again, to make things easier I would prefer that your votes be cast via private message sent to me, rather than through an open post in the OT. In addition to keeping the voting process a secret, using the PM method means I won't have to search through thread pages for someone's vote posted as an afterthought to an unrelated discussion.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules MAY result in your ballot getting thrown out.

Other rules and stipulations may follow, but for now we'll roll with these for the first round and see how it goes. Have fun voting!

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
All DC comics winning?!?! Haha haha. Shows that October was a down month. November looks great though.

fauxtrot

Banned
Harley's in her rightful spot once again (thanks to a little help from PG)! I can now go to bed happy.

All DC comics winning?!?! Haha haha. Shows that October was a down month. November looks great though.

October had one of the strongest line-ups in a while... but whatever helps you sleep at night, homie. November's looking great too, though.

Sorry guys, I voted for Harley, Grayson, and Deadly Class.

Wall of Shame for October:
Messi
Freezasaurus
Zombine
Kipp
GAMEPROFF
ViewtifulJC
Tyrant Rave
GrandHarrier
tim1138
fauxtrot

Not even, I liked October for comics. Hell, Southern Bastards alone made sure it wasn't a down month. We could have had SB #5 and the entirety of Maximum Clonage be the only books that came out and I would've said October was the shit.

fauxtrot

Banned
Not even, I liked October for comics. Hell, Southern Bastards alone made sure it wasn't a down month. We could have had SB #5 and the entirety of Maximum Clonage be the only books that came out and I would've said October was the shit.

I'm not gonna lie, when I was 11, Maximum Clonage made Citizen Kane look like Weekend at Bernie's. I was a shitty little kid.

I voted WicDiv, Sex Criminals, and Superman. I only pull less than like 8 books a month consistently. I forgot about Lumberjanes though, i would've put that in over Superman

fauxtrot

Banned
I voted Harley, Wytches, then Sabrina... but I should have voted Harley, Southern Bastards, then Starlight. Ah well.

Wicked + Divine is our version of a one hit wonder. That book will be doing mall shows in no time.

Yeah, that book is starting to lose me. I might replace it if it doesn't pick up again soon.

Wytches was amazeballs. How did it not place? Ya'll don't appreciate good comics.

Guys. I forgot about Grayson. And I fucking loved Grayson. Two of my other picks made it though. Third had no chance but it was the principal of the matter.

Wytches was amazeballs. How did it not place? Ya'll don't appreciate good comics.

Because anything Snyder does outside of Batman is outshined by the Lords work he is doing in Batman.

Guys. I forgot about Grayson. And I fucking loved Grayson. Two of my other picks made it though. Third had no chance but it was the principal of the matter.

Because anything Snyder does outside of Batman is outshined by the Lords work he is doing in Batman.

How you forget about Grayson brah? It was my number 1. Batman and Catwoman were my other picks.

How you forget about Grayson brah? It was my number 1. Batman and Catwoman were my other picks.

My shame is deep and eternal. That book is really something special. Only a handful of issues so far but they've all been consistently good. I'm glad they were allowed to take the chance they did with the character.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ugh. Absolute Batman Incorporated has been pushed back 5 weeks into January according to Amazon's dates. Son of a bitch.

Messi

so-beautiful.gif

They told us we would never get back here and that our heroine would never succeed once more but here we are. Back at the top after a fantastic issue. This months issues were very hard to pick. Lots of top books came out. I a, glad to see Grayson beating Batman. As great as Batman was this month Grayson was better. That issue sat with me.

I vote Harley, Grayson , Gotham Academy.

karasu

Man is that a great looking Wonder Woman. I'm interested to see what the new team does with her. Besides "making her human", whatever that means.

yeah i only just started reading new 52 wonder woman today. the art style pulled me in.

the one in the OP is not up to snuff imo, way too...megan fox

Messi

Yeah, that book is starting to lose me. I might replace it if it doesn't pick up again soon.

It didn't place because it is a Snyder book that isn't Batman. See American Vampire.

Rat Queens never had that draw for me. All tumblr hype.

Did you finish that nightfall? Last night I was partaking in Halloween things.

Nope. Idled out while I had switched over to watching DVR Flash (that last episode was fucking hype!) and rebuilding my Blue Krillin DBZ CCG deck.

Also, my Amazon cat food order arrived. 15% less calories for indoor fatty cats.

/lewd

/hipster-nerd

Zombine

Banned
Nope. Idled out while I had switched over to watching DVR Flash (that last episode was fucking hype!) and rebuilding my Blue Krillin DBZ CCG deck.

Also, my Amazon cat food order arrived. 15% less calories for indoor fatty cats.

/lewd

/hipster-nerd

Hey that looks a bit like my cat. We'll have to
Do nightfall today. I bought that sniper too which is awesome.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Whoa. No #1s in the top 3. Impressive.

Someone just needs to ask for a digital code in the November thread. Guaranteed 10,000 posts for the month.

You're welcome. I really took one for the team there.

Also, wooooooooooooooooo! We made 10k posts! Well done, guys
Messi
!

Ugh. Absolute Batman Incorporated has been pushed back 5 weeks into January according to Amazon's dates. Son of a bitch.

That suits me just fine. When I order that, I'll also be ordering Absolute B&R, so delaying spending all that money is nice. :p

Zombine

Banned
:(

I swear I pressed Reply in the November thread! And then my reply landed in the October thread. I was tricked. This isn't my fault.

October thread was the best. I can see why you would want it to stay around longer.

Best month, best thread. No coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom