• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has 343 Industries redeemed themselves with Halo:MCC

Killer

Banned
Ok, let's start this by saying Halo 4 wasn't a bad game, it was a bad Halo game. The influences from other games was so apparent and disappointing for a lot of fans. Sprint and perks do not belong in Halo. It was always about fair start, map control weapon control. They basically threw that out of the window and tried to appeal to COD fans and ended up with neither.

As for the SP, the first cutscene in the game was INCREDIBLE. The story just went downhill from there. Didact reveal was really weak and the character as a whole isn't that interesting. Plus, the game lost the open areas which is stamp for the series.

Anyway, I think they learned their lesson and hopefully they fix all that in Halo 5.

Now for Halo:MCC, i don't think anyone believed they would make such a collection. 4 halo games, all MP maps ever released playable online and a remake of Halo 2 for $60. The package is simply incredible and it's the best love letter to fans of the series.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and it's releasing in a little over week. HYPE!

Edit 2 : For people saying "it's just a port". Watch this video(youtube).Xbox video

Edit: forgot the question mark in the title :p

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The console FPS KING has returned. This was an amazing plan and will sell shit load of Halo 5 next year.

rokkerkory

Sales will tell but I have a feeling it'll do pretty well and bunch of folks will jump in because of it. (including me)

Silky

Banned
Don't know until it's out and I can play 2v2 lockout with no hiccups.

When I can play a full match of classic Lockout, no hiccups, no bullshit, then I'll know if we back

Lets see the Halo 5 beta first.
But the MCC is a good way to serve most Halo fans for this gen maybe next gen if it has backward compatibility.

Slixshot

Banned
The console FPS KING has returned.

yessssjim.gif

SerTapTap

Isn't halo 5 by far the better litmus test? MCC is a crazy value but doesn't really say anything about their ability to create new games.

VinFTW

So far so good and in a better state than post Halo 4 release.

Whether or not that good will continues will be dependent on Halo 5.

If it's good, based 343. If it's a repeat of Halo 4, then no.

For now I am very optimistic about the future of Halo in 343's hands, more so after watching that MCC ViDoc.

Moaradin

I'd say it's a step in the right direction. Outside of the graphical improvements, the best thing they've done is preserve the work Bungie did. Need to see how Halo 5 shapes up before I'm back on the Halo train.

RoKKeR

They are certainly much more aware of how to handle the franchise than they were a few years ago, that's for sure. Whether or not they get it right in Halo 5, they have done a fantastic job with the MCC.

Omni

Ok, let's start this by saying Halo 4 wasn't a bad game, it was a bad Halo game

I hate this cop out. 343i wasn't making another game. They were making a Halo game. And they fucked it up.

It's bad.

I'm prefacing this with a reminder that I used to be a diehard Halo fan:

It's a collection of ports/remakes. While I haven't played the MCC and I'm sure they did a fine job in porting it all over, restoring someone elses masterpieces does not a master make of you.

Their only new entry in the series to date is Halo 4 and Halo 4 was garbage.

I hope they don't fuck up with Halo 5, but I think the soul of the series departed some time ago.

Magwik

Banned
lol no
Have you seen all of the hand-holding waypoint and HUD shit on the H2:A MP? It's awful. Still have loadouts as well. But I can't complain because if Halo 5 isn't what I would like from it I can simply go back to Halo CE, 2, or 3 at any time. The options are nice and I really respect it, but they still have a lot to prove.

RdN

I don't think so.

The people who came up with the idea for this Collection deserves all the praise in the world, but most of the project was outsourced.

The teams responsible for all the big design, gameplay, multiplayer mistakes in Halo 4 didn't really come into play, since they're working on Guardians, which will be the real test.

Haines

Banned
I can't wait for the backlash. I'm serious. There will be something just something that will destroy the game in fans eyes.

A little premature for any statement like this. Wait until people are actually playing it and see if the general sentiment is positive or not.

has this company redeemed themselves by making a collection? lol 3 old ass games made by somebody else so dont kid yourself. with h2a they're still going after the people who drive-by games for a week then move on to something else

I don't know if remaking the "good" Halo games makes them a good studio, but I think they have the talent to make the next one good.

Sponge

Banned
It was always about fair start, map control weapon control. They basically threw that out of the window and tried to appeal to COD fans and ended up with neither.

Have we heard if Halo 5 is going back to this instead trying to appeal to COD fans?

How about you wait until MCC and Halo 5 releases?
Halo 5 is actually their game. Just like Halo 4.
MCC is more like "Bungie Anthology" (- H4).
So having a product that is 3/4 someone elses work along with their own underwhelming entry is redeeming themselves?

So having a product that is 3/4 someone elses work along with their own underwhelming entry is redeeming themselves?

Have we heard if Halo 5 is going back to this instead trying to appeal to COD fans?

didn't the last we hear it was ADS?

Slixshot

Banned
I actually think it shows how much they care about the series. They could have just put out the second game with some flare, but this is easily the best collection I've ever seen (and I think most would agree). It's actually warranted a system purchase for me.

Now I trust them with the series, but that doesn't mean they will definitely deliver. Fingers, toes, nuts, are all crossed though!

343 hasn't redeemed anything. They remade the worst halo and rereleased a few others. They'll redeem themselves once their level design stops being Killzone-tier.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sales will tell but I have a feeling it'll do pretty well and bunch of folks will jump in because of it. (including me)

pw1C5Py.png

just took this a min ago, and Halo MCC ranks #60 on best selling item of 2014. And yes COD AC and GTA V are not even in the list yet.

Halo thirst is real guys.

lol, porting a collection of games doesn't make a developer awesome. Halo 4 was awful compared to bungies games and pretty much ruined the franchise.

I liked Halo 4, wasn't anything to redeem but I am going to pay mind to Halo 5's multi.

People can say Halo 4 was awful but truth is it was great! The Multi I can get the complaints for however.

You're saying 343 redeemed themselves because they ported the more successful games made by another studio?

Wut.

You should wait till Halo 5 comes out to make that judgement.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I think its important to credit some of the smaller dev teams from other companies (Sabre Interactive, Certain Affinity, Blur) (?).

I dont have an opinion on 343i. I liked Halo 4. If i like Halo 5 as well, then well done 343i :)

I do appreciate the passion and effort they are putting into the MCC. This should be a new standard for re-masters.

abadguy

Banned
I liked Halo 4 personally, even if MP wasn't the greatest. I still feel the single player campaign was pretty good despite the flaws. (Constant switch pulling, despawning weapons,Prometheans weren't as fun to fight as the covvies, COD style boss fight at the end) if they can fix those problems and bring back the large open levels and huge battles ( as well as something along the lines of Halo 3's dual Scarab boss battle) great enemy AI, that Halo is known for it would be great. MCC is a good start though. Unlike others i am not going to completely dismiss them over one game, their first game. We'll see what they have learned from Halo 4 going forward with 5 when it releases.

They've redeemed themselves by releasing old games made by somebody else?

They're doing a hell of a lot more than simply re releasing old games. Obviously a lot of work is going into to this collection. The amount of content alone is a tall order for other collections to stand against.

MCC is an amazing apology.

"We messed up Halo CE Anniversary, so here is Halo 1-3, including the multiplayer running in 1080p/60fps but otherwise unchanged for the purists."

"We messed up Halo 4, but at least now you get to try all the multiplayer content without being splintered by the DLC."

"We know you have doubts on our ability to make Halo 5's multiplayer, so try the included Beta and give us feedback."

Anth0ny

You're saying 343 redeemed themselves because they ported the more successful games made by another studio?

Wut.

You should wait till Halo 5 comes out to make that judgement.

Came here to say this. MCC doesn't redeem shit.

It's also not out yet!

Top Bottom