• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has 343 Industries redeemed themselves with Halo:MCC

Xav

I personally loved Halo 4 and find the idea of 343 Industries "redeeming" themselves with Master Chief Collection to be incredibly insulting.

When Halo 4 is your DEBUT game, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

The Halo 4 hate on GAF is overblown out of proportion. Then again, this is the same forum that was FOR Metroid Other M so what would you guys know about quality.

Slixshot

Banned
lol, porting a collection of games doesn't make a developer awesome. Halo 4 was awful compared to bungies games and pretty much ruined the franchise.

I8kq0uJ.gif

I personally loved Halo 4 and find the idea of 343 Industries "redeeming" themselves with Master Chief Collection to be incredibly insulting.

When Halo 4 is your DEBUT game, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

The Halo 4 hate on GAF is overblown out of proportion. Then again, this is the same forum that was FOR Metroid Other M so what would you guys know about quality.

It seems like most of GAF (or the vocal minority) has an everlasting hatred for 4 :p

Kssio_Aug

I blieve that 343i working that much with Halo MCC will help them to get a good idea of what people want and what made the serie a success. So I wouldnt say exactly redeemed, but they certainly deserve more credit for Halo 5.

jesu

They've redeemed themselves by releasing old games made by somebody else?

That were remade by somebody else...

The collection was developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games and Saber Interactive.While 343 designed the interfaces and online networking, Certain Affinity developed the multiplayer and Saber developed the updated Halo 2 campaign.The updated Halo 2 cutscenes were produced by Blur.

wiki yo.

Bread

Banned
MCC is an amazing apology.

"We messed up Halo CE Anniversary, so here is Halo 1-3, including the multiplayer running in 1080p/60fps but otherwise unchanged for the purists."

"We messed up Halo 4, but at least now you get to try all the multiplayer content without being splintered by the DLC."

"We know you have doubts on our ability to make Halo 5's multiplayer, so try the included Beta and give us feedback."
Exactly, this is 343 saying 'give us another chance'. The Halo 5 beta stuff is really the underappreciated part of the bundle.

Jaxx

Banned
No idea until I play it, but I am surprised it's outselling every version of CoD at Amazon US in the week that COD is coming out. That's pretty impressive.

Salz01

So they are taking existing games made from another company, porting it, and that's redemption? I don't think so.

Pop

not yet. 4 is total balls, if 5 stinks they should stop

That's how I feel but the sales of H4 gives them at least two more fuck ups not counting MCC.

Halo is the only franchise I care about on the Xbox brand and I will be buying a X1 for it. But first I'll see how it is once it comes out.

MCC is great, but it's mostly Bungie's work. The touchups they did they had the guideline already there. Creating a new product will be the test if they can actually make a good Halo game. They're saying all the right things, but i'm going to remain skeptical until I see the beta.

Alucrid

Banned

"We messed up Halo CE Anniversary, so here is Halo 1-3, including the multiplayer running in 1080p/60fps but otherwise unchanged for the purists."

"We messed up Halo 4, but at least now you get to try all the multiplayer content without being splintered by the DLC."

"We know you have doubts on our ability to make Halo 5's multiplayer, so try the included Beta and give us feedback."

Halo 5's apology is going to be even better!

VinFTW

So in your eyes 343 "redeemed" themselves by copying someone else's work. (I don't think there is any redemption necessary but I'm also not a Halo superfan)

So we should never give Bluepoint, Sumo, etc any credit for porting games well?

Don't mind the fact that they're completely upping the FPS of a traditionally 30FPS franchise (which is a big deal for Halo fans) and including all of these goodies (Blur cinematics, new music, an entirely new MP engine/game, plus a beta AND a new digital series).

Yup...

343i put no effort into this collection, just a port, all it is.

/s come on now.. Give them credit.

This.

This guy said it better than I ever could have :p

What exactly are 343i doing here?

Watch the Vidoc. Then tell me 343i is doing nothing and just copy/pasting a bunch of games.

rokkerkory

apology accepted! :p

This is one case where I would feel safe crediting the good decision to higher management.

I severely doubt 343 had final say as to whether or not Halo MCC was getting made. This is likely a project that started with Phil Spencer as I believe he was head of WW studios for MS? And was probably decided upon in concert with Mattrick as a good move to maintain the strength of the Halo brand.

As per pricing and content, I again would not think that would fall to 343 to decide. Well perhaps the absolute breadth of content but the developers wouldn't decide upon the pricing structure or how you paid for all that content.

So I guess I believe in Phil Spencer? :)

It's a great product though that's for sure and if there were any doubts of 343's technical prowess [which I never thought there was???] then this would clearly put those to rest

abadguy

Banned

Don't mind the fact that they're completely upping the FPS of a traditionally 30FPS franchise (which is a big deal for Halo fans) and including all of these goodies (Blur cinematics, new music, an entirely new MP engine/game, plus a beta AND a new digital series).

Yup...

Nah, man It's just a port. derp!

jesu

Yup...

What exactly are 343i doing here?

Reducing the tech and additions to Halo 2 Anniversary and the release of the mainline Halo titles as one product to "porting" is saddening.

This project could simply have not happened. Or it may only have been a fraction of the scope that it has become. Their commitment to, at the very least, try do good by the fans is worthy of praise.

Whether or not the playlist management is suitable or not will take time to really judge. I don't know what better gesture 343 could possibly make. Certaintly going to give it some time.

Tunavi

Banned
On paper; yes. This is what I've wanted for years.

In reality; Can't say, the game is not out yet, and I was hyped for halo 4, which let me down.

JayEH

It was definitely a good move for them to do it and everything they've done so far makes it seems like they realize their mistakes. We'll have to wait until Halo 5 if they fully understand what they did wrong with Halo 4.

And hey even if they mess up Halo 5, we can all just go back to the MCC.

Phreaker

Heh, when the news leaked it seemed so far fetched, but low and behold it will be in my hands in just over a week. I played through Halo 4 more than once with friends and played some multiplayer. I am curious to see what the Halo 5 MP Beta will be like in the first couple weeks of the New Year!

-PXG-

MCC is a good start but they will be entirely forgiven once and if the Halo 5 beta and the final game is good.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I just cannot wait for classic Halo MP. Destiny only lightly brushed the itch for me.

Solidsoul

Banned
Speak for yourself. Halo 4 was a great game both by general standards and Halo standards for me.

In my eyes they don't need to redeem anything because I was happy with their efforts in 4, I honestly liked it more than 3.

With that being said, we all have different opinions and many were disappointed in Halo 4. Factoring that in I feel like 343 is making all of the right moves. They are on the best possible path for those who need to see them redeemed.

I feel for the long term Halo is in much better hands than Bungie. As Bungie said themselves, Halo has become it's own beast and it's time for fans to breathe new life into it.

Having one property ruled and dictated by the same entity forever can be harmful to the material in ways the same or worse than by new hands, for example watch Star Wars Episode 1-3.

Ichabod

Banned
Halo 4 campaign was well done, even if the antagonist was lame. I really enjoyed the chemistry between Cortana and the Chief and found myself shedding a single, manly tear at the end. MP was meh and everyone in my circle had moved on not even a month post release. That said, bring back the pro-pipe from Reach for H5 and all will be forgiven.

Pudge

Nope. I'm willing to give Halo 5 a shot, but this game is basically just 343 organizing other companies in releasing even another company's games and throwing Halo 4 in there as basically a bonus. I'm totally psyched for it and appreciate it, but it hardly reflects on if 343 can actually produce a good Halo game.

Halo 4 is better than Destiny, so there's that.

This is also true.

Top Bottom