• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBO users who have fully pre-loaded CDO:AW reportedly having to redownload all 46GB.

Mugatu

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2l24zr/a_warning_for_all_who_preloaded_cod_aw/

I have preloaded my game a week ago, and as soon as the clock hit midnight my game started updating. It has been updating for over an hour and is still at 6%.
A quick look at the bandwidth usage on my console and I can see that I am re-downloading all 46gb of the game.
So much for day zero huh?
EDIT: As far as I know there is no way to check whether your install is ok before actually starting the 'update'. If, when the game unlocks for you, it starts updating and it says 99% then it should be fine and it should just be doing the 250mb patch. However if it says 0% Updating, then you may be redownloading the whole thing.

There are a couple of threads on Reddit that I saw and quite a few people this seems to be happening to. I wonder if it's an issue with COD:AW only? It doesn't seem to be related to the dashboard preview program as there are people not on the beta who are having this as well.

EDIT: There is an unverified "fix" - one person says to do a hard reset if it tells you to re-download again but so far nobody other than the person who suggested this said it actually works.

EDIT2: Supposedly (according to one Redditor) MS are aware of the issue and working with Activision to resolve it.

RoKKeR

Yeah it seems pre-loading has been wonky recently. I will be won't be too pleased if this happens with MCC on launch day.

Damn, that would piss me off.

Maybe it's a glitch with the system trying to auto-download the game? Like it releases at midnight so your system is trying to preload it for you, but it's just not checking if you already did it or not?

Mugatu

Is this not due to region switching?

There's one person who says they region switched and this is what he said - perhaps that's the problem?

Im in canada region but i switched to AU, I had a call of duty tagged pre order and then one waiting to install. Im installing it now. It seems i have 2 CoDs now.

If this happened to me, that would be the end of me pre-ordering digital games on that particular platform. That suuuucks.

Nodnol

There's one person who says they region switched and this is what he said - perhaps that's the problem?

From what I can make out;

- Purchase and download in one zone.
- Switch region and attempt to play in another.
- Game redownloads for new region.

Not sure why you'd switch; I pretty much constantly play in US region (UK based) and don't have a problem. Always on EU servers etc.

I'm guessing that the issue comes from switching to a region where the game preload isn't yet unlocked?

Mugatu

Eh, it seems it's from people switching regions to buy it and switching back.

If that's it then I'm so glad I never tried doing that just to save a few bucks. I have a feeling you're right but hopefully it gets sorted either way.

This digital future sucks. There are a good bunch of people that have 100gb and 250gb data caps. They download games or demos like this, you have hit the cap at 5 games basically. I knew in the past before I started to wind down on my play time that I would easily buy 5 games in October or November. And that doesn't include doing anything else on theirnconnection. Are these data caps really needed unless people are downloading terabytes.

Omni

If that's it then I'm so glad I never tried doing that just to save a few bucks. I have a feeling you're right but hopefully it gets sorted either way.
People also do it to circumvent release dates. More so than to save money, I'd expect

jmood88

This digital future sucks. There are a good bunch of people that have 100gb and 250gb data caps. They download games or demos like this, you have hit the cap at 5 games basically. I knew in the past before I started to wind down on my play time that I would easily buy 5 games in October or November. And that doesn't include doing anything else on theirnconnection. Are these data caps really needed unless people are downloading terabytes.

If people know that they have data caps, then they shouldn't be buying digital versions of games.

Bsigg12

You don't have to buy it again, it just prompts a message on the dashboard of Game "ready to play" and then it ask you to install it.

Well yea, it's seeing you have a license for the game but then it's trying to tie the game to the region your console is currently in so say you buy it in the NZL region and let it download, then switch to UK, it would then want to download the UK version of the game if they marked that it's different for whatever reason. This is just speculation on my part on why it's happening but it does seem like it's a region switching thing.

Ghazi

If people know that they have data caps, then they shouldn't be buying digital versions of games.

What about the people who bought Dead Rising 3 and then had to download many, many gigs of mandatory DLC and updates? Physical doesn't solve everything.

Larogue

Happened to me!
I thought I was delusional when I found out my already downloaded CoD was again at 26%. I checked bandwidth usage and it was over 80GB (and I have downloaded nothing else other than CoD which should be 46GB). What the hell.

Dragon

Banned
What about the people who bought Dead Rising 3 and then had to download many, many gigs of mandatory DLC and updates? Physical doesn't solve everything.

What about MCC? I find less and less reason to go physical since I don't sell games back.

MCC disc version has a 20GB update for MP content, Wolfenstien has a 13GB day one update, other games also do the same thing.

The problem is that there's no strict size limits this gen and everyone making a game is abusing it to finish their games while they send off a semi working build for cert.

jmood88

MCC disc version has a 20GB update for MP content, Wolfenstien has a 13GB day one update, other games also do the same thing.

The problem is that there's no strict size limits this gen and everyone making a game is abusing it to finish their games while they send off a semi working build for cert.

Neither of your examples have anything to do with the specific problem that this thread is about, nor do they address why someone with a data cap would buy the digital version of a game.

DieH@rd

Banned

Not on PS4 if I remember correctly. I don't know why, by Xbone games get really big patches [Dead Rising had big one].

So with the xbone trying to go close all digital this gen before they backed that off, pc games are more or less download only at this.point, I.don't think there are going to be more options in the future. The industry wants to kill off the 2nd hand market as quickly as possible.

ddikxela

Wow.... I am allotted 160 gb a month from my ISP. Speedtest says my d/l speed is roughly 12 mb per second. I'd get all Justin Timberlake and cry a river if I had to redownload this AFTER trying to play the game on Day Zero.

Hopefully it wont be too hard to implement the fix.

JPS Kai

Not on PS4 if I remember correctly. I don't know why, by Xbone games get really big patches [Dead Rising had big one].

PS4 definitely had a patch that was at least 6gb, I don't know the amount offhand. I just got an optional Day One patch for Lords of the Fallen that was about 5gb last night.

Top Bottom