• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shares their new plan for what their Japanese and Western studios make

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This illustrates what they used to do and what they do now.

I suspect "outside funds" is a mix of deals like Tomb Raider with Microsoft and more traditional insured completion bonds for multiplat titles. Online titles are things like Triad Wars.

To be clear on the right side that box explains the old strategy of only making major games to now making a couple major games, but also a ton of arcade, browser, and smartphone titles.

squarejapan1fauxs.png

squarejapan2bvuec.png

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q2slides.pdf

Rocky

Banned
So they'll spend several billion yen on major titles for smartphones but won't localize DQVII on 3DS?

SE is becoming more dead to me with each new announcement.

SPAW

So they'll spend several billion yen on major titles for smartphones but won't localize DQVII on 3DS?

SE is becoming more dead to me with each new announcement.

nowhere in that statement does it say that the new major titles will be mobile only.

They really should explore PSN/XBL for smaller RPGs games and for releasing the mobile ports. I would snap up all these remakes they have on mobile on PSN.

DirtyCase

Geezus not sure what to think, at least now it seems like they have a 'plan'.

New Deus ex game for ps4/One/pc plzz

don't the ff xiii sequels count as mid budget ? i think this kinda confirms ff xv-2, ff xv-3...
Did 13-2 and LR really cost that much less than 13? Also this doesn't really confirm 15-2 and on. Maybe they will just stick with the same engine for awhile again in an attempt to make games quicker and cheaper. They don't have to be sequels like that.

EDIT: Apparently sequels were confirmed in that sense of reused assets.
They really should explore PSN/XBL for smaller RPGs games and for releasing the mobile ports. I would snap up all these remakes they have on mobile on PSN.
Dunno what's with Japanese Square and being really apprehensive about digital platforms that aren't mobile. Then again that's most of Japan.

Interestingly this is yet another piece of evidence that digital sales are beginning to account for 25-33% of all sales for " HD " games.

Stark

Banned
There AAA titles are no longer sure to sell millions so this is to happen. It's not like they're pulling out only mobile either. It's a fair strategy and allows for HD titles to continue. I think people are jumping the gun a bit here with the mobile comments.

Don't forget Steam, although they really need to improve the quality of their mobile to non-mobile ports. That Deus Ex mobile game port was terrible.

MilesTeg

Banned
At least Square seems to largely be keeping budgets intact for western devs. I wonder if Triad Wars falls under the "mid size online titles" category.

As for Japanese budgets, it would seem that Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts are all we can look forward to for large budget games from here on out.

u_neek

What was the last Japanese home console title from S-E that didn't have Final Fantasy in the name?

So even more focusing on smart devices?

SE, I give up do whatever you are going to do just keep main Final Fantasy games on consoles coming and I'm fine.

So they intend to supplement the development of fewer large budget games with more small and mid size ones? I would laud a publisher for finally realizing that diversifying your portfolio is a good thing but after what they seem to be doing to Just Cause 3 they've got a lot of negative assets to work through first.

I think they mean handheld titles like FF Explorers, Bravely Default, and Dragon Quest spin-offs instead of PS2 style mid-tier budget games on home consoles.

At the rate SE going won't surprise if they port them to home consoles after a while for the west on DD.

Top Bottom