• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix shares their new plan for what their Japanese and Western studios make

StuBurns

Banned
That number for Human Revolution is from September of 2011, weeks after it launched.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-04-deus-ex-human-revolution-sells-2-18-million

As for Hitman, 3.6 million copies of Absolution were shipped by March 2013. Blood Money's lifetime sales or copies shipped are around 2.1 million as of 2011. Square Enix's overzealous projections don't really speak if a IP has value or not, not to mention we have no concrete budget numbers for most of their titles.

Do Eidos properties damn Sony? Absolutely not. Are they valuable if they're budgeted correctly? Absolutely. Square Enix has had terrible business sense this past gen when it comes to console games.
It's not SE's fault, it takes like sixty million to build and market a AAA game, and that's being extremely thrifty. If you can't sell three million, there's no point existing. It's worthless for the full price console game market.

Wish they'd publisher a new Kane & Lynch 3, Sleeping Dogs 2, and make sure that Deus Ex Universive game design is more Human Revolution and less Triad Wars

it's odd as a guy who grew up playing FFs since the SNES, that I would barely associate Square with black mages and chocobos anymore and more with shootouts in Chinese cities.

MormaPope

Banned
It's not SE's fault, it takes like sixty million to build and market a AAA game, and that's being extremely thrifty. If you can't sell three million, there's no point existing. It's worthless for the full price console game market.

Whose putting a gun to their heads saying all the games that come from Eidos have to be AAA titles? We also have no idea what the budget for most of their games are, which is essential in this conversation if we're trying to judge which IPs have value or not.

For all we know the games coming from Eidos are profitable, but they're leaning on those games heavily to fund their biggest AAA titles such as Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3.

StuBurns

Banned
Whose putting a gun to their heads saying all the games that come from Eidos have to be AAA titles? We also have no idea what the budget for most of their games are, which is essential in this conversation if we're trying to judge which IPs have value or not.

For all we know the games coming from Eidos are profitable, but they're leaning on those games heavily to fund their biggest AAA titles such as Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3.
Did you read the OP? This thread is about SE announcing their plans for their studios, and guess what their plan is for Eidos? AAA and smaller online focused games.

So instead of focusing on just the big three (KH, FF, DQ), Square Enix will now revert to the Squaresoft model of producing a few big titles and many mid-size titles like Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier, Einhänder, Bushido Blade, etc.? That sounds pretty good.

MormaPope

Banned
Did you read the OP? This thread is about SE announcing their plans for their studios, and guess what their plan is for Eidos? AAA and smaller online focused games.

After seeing Triad Wars and Just Cause 3, "smaller online focused games" sounds a lot like free to play or something of that nature. Sure, those devs aren't Eidos, and they could be making those decisions on their own, but anything that isn't a time exclusive will probably have micro transactions and be very different when it comes to design structure.

You even pointed out how odd it is to pay for timed exclusivity, why should Microsoft or Sony pay for Deus Ex or Hitman when they are probably modestly profitable but aren't huge hits? They are valuable IPs, but they aren't heavy hitters.

If I had to guess, Deus Ex will be a timed exclusive, while Hitman will be a AAA game with tons of microtransactions. Absolution already tested the waters of a social Hitman game. While Deus Ex was released for ipad and had microtransactions.

Christhor

I just hope that they let Yoko Taro be in charge of one of those "numerous small-size" titles.
Maybe even mid-size? :(

Hindle

Banned
It just strengthens my theory that Square will sell Eidios for the right price, if they relying on outside development etc. If not, I think TR will stay Xbox exclusive for the most of this gen. Maybe Deus Ex as well.

I don't understand why SE Japan is wasting time making any console games. They're horrible at it. They should be making handheld games and porting those games to mobile after a few months. Save money on development and double-dip. SE West should be the one making the big console games because they actually know how to do that.

Hindle

Banned
As for whether the Eidios Ip has any value? There has always been huge potential there, but due to the incompetence of SE, growth has been stunted.

What does this mean for the next Deus Ex?

A microtransaction riddled mess like Just Cause 3 is shaping up to be or can we at least expect that to remain somewhat traditional?

Longsword

They did report very healthy financial results thanks to their MMOs and mobile titles such as Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light, so this does seem very business-savy (if not very GAF-friendly) approach.

I'd love to see the return of the mid-tier console games, but it really does not seem that there is a market for them anymore. So they are going for mobile for steady revenue stream with hits like DQMSL, and then big bets on console in the West (with other people's money?) to see if they can get the 6-10 million copy-seller.

That's my take at least.

Hindle

Banned
Someone needs to swoop in and buy the Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain IP before they get any ideas...

I want someone to buy them completely. MS as they have the resources to do the IP justice, or Bethesda as they have Arkane. SE will never sell to a rival publisher though.

So roughly:

Large = Tens of million of dollars.
Medium = Just under 10 million dollars
Small = A few million dollars.

Man, I'd love to see what we could do with a "small" budget of a few million dollars.

Dont fall into that trap man, you just keep making what youre making and let them throw their cash into the shredder.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How much did Bravely Default cost to make? Cause I would like to see more titles from Square with dat budget and dat staff.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
So instead of focusing on just the big three (KH, FF, DQ), Square Enix will now revert to the Squaresoft model of producing a few big titles and many mid-size titles like Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier, Einhänder, Bushido Blade, etc.? That sounds pretty good.
:( I wish

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

This would definitely be the ideal situation... but it probably means just more focus on mobile and less traditional Japanese console/handheld games. :(

I'm just hoping that "new RPG studio" thing they talked about a while ago leads to something good. And that they throw tri-Ace a few bones here and there to do something other than being codemonkeys on Lightning games.

Instro

The mid size games from Japan are interesting, could lead to some cool stuff. I would imagine the new console studio is part of that.

Sesto

Banned
I don't understand the number of those bubbles. Do they mean that now SE is only working on one big title (FF XV) and some midsize titles or is that big bubble for more potential AAA games like FFXVI?

S-E-New-Console-RPG-Studio.jpg

Hopefully this is still a thing

Neogaf resident Falk who works with S-E on music hinted that Uematsu might be involved with this. Please jeebus let this be true.

Top Bottom