• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Courtesy of I See.

I know this is a review thread, but as a 'junior' I can not start a new thread so I'll post here and
-i'll be quick, I promise. Maybe someone could make a new thread?

PCgameshardware.de posted first PC benchmarks for the game. (with unoptimized drivers!)

Game seems to be very CPU demanding. Players with a modern Intel Quad Core with around 3 GHz should be fine, older or weaker processors with outdatet performance-per-clock ratio, however, may have problems.

An I7 - 920 @ 3,8 ghz seems to have troubles to reach 30 fps on max settings.

Some Benchmarks for graphic cards with max Settings. (DX11 only?)

GTX 750Ti ~ 17
R9 270x ~ 28
GTX 770 ~ 37
GTX 970 ~42
R9 290 ~45
GTX 980 ~48
R9 290X ~50

Mantle seems to improve performance
A bloomfield Intel CPU like the I7 920 gets a boost of ~ 45% with mantle and a R9 290x
Even a modern I7 4970k gets a 10% boost with mantle.

ikHdaIg.png

So, some repeat advice. I know most of you did, but...

Remember to CLEAN install your video card drivers if you want the smoothest experience in DA:I.
For those with Mantle, clean install seems to alleviate MOST loading and stuttering problems you may encounter.

Turn off ALL overlays. This includes FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, Geforce Experience/Shadowplay, Raptr and ORIGIN (Don't use Steam either if you forced it on for DA). They seem to conflict with the game and cause massive fps issues.

These are the most common command line arguments to implement when running DA:I single player to get a "smoother" experience (it WILL break multiplayer if you use it.).
60 FPS Example (because your monitor is most likely not 60Hz exactly):
Code:
-GameTime.ForceSimRate 59.94+ -GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 59.94 -GameTime.MaxSimFps 59.94

It seems like animations in cutscenes were recorded at 30fps, therefore it will always seem like it's stuttering if you're used to 60fps. Removing ForceSimRate will make the cutscenes smoother, but all the animations will be sped up to compensate.

EDIT: For those who wish to use SweetFX SMAA and effects... Use the version listed near the bottom of this topic http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390465&page=4. As of now, it is only compatible with DirectX11. Just remember to edit the settings because the default one has HDR and a bunch of other settings activated that might skew your perception of the game. Also, it seems to crash your game if you do not cap the FPS with the above settings or similar.

Corpekata

Banned
Hopefully those drivers are a big help (or the benchmark is not indicative of the majority of the game) because that's a bit worse than I expected.

ISee

Thank you :)
Now I can post the benchmark. Please keep in mind those benchmarks aren't final!

Source: pcgameshardware.de

http://i.imgur.com/ikHdaIg.png

EDIT:

a rough, quick and dirty translation...

... the Frostbite Engine is being pushed to it's maximum. A view-distance we never experienced beforehand, whithout any kind of obvious LOD ... mostly gorgeous high-resolution textures, an impressive and highly dynamic lighting system and stylized, but very detailed faces. And all this is presented completely without lens flare and depth-overkill...
Almost every texture is very high resolution and not just meters away from the player but to the horizon. Even the mountains in the background are covered with extremely detailed textures... good parallel maps in combination with tessellation

There is more, but genrealy they sound very impresed. And most of the time they aren't impressed at all.

EDIT 2:

Mantle and DX11 benchmarks (still unoptimized drivers)

http://i.imgur.com/bxEN00d.png

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah, they're not great. But them being unoptimized I bet plays a bigger role than anything. I imagine those who can run BF4 will probably get comparable performance when drivers are actually updated.

Jira

They had 4 x MSAA enabled combined with the fact that this is a massive open world game, it's not surprising it can't handle 60 fps. Just bump the AA down or off and you'll be golden.

deeptech

They had 4 x MSAA enabled combined with the fact that this is a massive open world game, it's not surprising it can't handle 60 fps. Just bump the AA down or off and you'll be golden.

SMAA it is. Plus drivers and 60fps should be easy with 970 i hope.

Shadownet

Banned
So from the look of this a max GTX 760 will get on average 30fps. And that is with unoptimized drivers. Let's hope those will come soon so I can get a stable 30fps.

If not I can turn down a few options.

Realyn

Was just about to say. 4 MSAA, a game that good looking with no optimized drivers ... those results are pretty much worthless at this point.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Was just about to say. 4 MSAA, a game that good looking with no optimized drivers ... those results are pretty much worthless at this point.

Yeah. Performance will be substantially better in final release I'd wager. If at 4MSAA and unop'd drivers, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

yami4ct

I really need to upgrade my PC. Still running that GTX 260 I got like 5 years ago. Well, my specs are still more than the minimum and as long as I can get a stable 30 on low/med settings, I'll be happy with that. Just playing PC for those M+K controls.

New PC setup is the first thing I'm doing when I get some cash in the next couple years, though. Really pushed this one as far as it can go.

ISee

So from the look of this a max GTX 760 will get on average 30fps. And that is with unoptimized drivers. Let's hope those will come soon so I can get a stable 30fps.

If not I can turn down a few options.

You should be fine with new nvidia drivers down the road.
Also the games seems to be beatuiful on max settings.

a rough translation... (sorry for my bad english here)

... the Frostbite Engine is being pushed to it's maximum. A view-distance we never experienced beforehand, whithout obvious LOD ... mostly gorgeous high-resolution textures, an impressive and highly dynamic lighting system and stylized, but very detailed faces. And all this is presented completely without lens flare and depth-overkill...
Almost every texture is very high resolution and not just meters away from the player but to the horizon. Even the mountains in the background are covered with extremely detailed textures... good parallel maps in combination with tessellation

There is more, but genrealy they sound very impresed. And most of the time they aren't impressed at all.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I guess we'll have to wait and see, especially for SLI. If a single 770 is able to keep the framerate above 35 FPS all the time at max settings, I expect my 680 SLI to be able to keep 60 FPS with AA turned down a notch.

At least, I would hope to...

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
I was really hoping my wife's i3-2100 would last until next year, but she's dying to play this and it doesn't look like two cores are going to cut it. Of course with the processor upgrade comes a new mobo and power supply. This is going to be an expensive game.

MaddenNFL64

I was really hoping my wife's i3-2100 would last until next year, but she's dying to play this and it doesn't look like two cores are going to cut it. Of course with the processor upgrade comes a new mobo and power supply. This is going to be an expensive game.

If you're a cheapo like me, you can scrape by without getting hurt too much. Get dem deals!

KePoW

Banned
I don't think 4x MSAA is necessary in this day & age.

So I'm hoping that was a big reason for the somewhat low framerates.

ISee

MSAA basically cuts the performance in half in BF, so these results aren't very surprising.

Also they are using MSAA 4x... I think even a 750Ti is going to reach at least stable 30fps on high settings with fxaa.

It is frostbite 4XMSAA. Frostbite already has a horrible MSAA resolve, completely unnecessary for a good experience IMO. I wonder if this game will hold on to FXAA though, seems like a lot of teams don't use SMAA just so they do not have to pay homage to Crytek/Tiago Sousa or Jorge Jiminiez.

Bittercup

The VRAM requirements sound strange.
Doch besonders die Speicherbelegung der Grafikkarte scheint verbesserungswürdig, denn ein unter Umständen auftretende Speicherruckeln tritt unter Mantle nochmals deutlich verstärkt auf. So genehmigt sich Dragon Age: Inquisition etwa 2,6 GiByte Speicher in 1080p unter Direct X, unter Mantle sind es derer 4,1 GiByte - offensichtlich genug, um dann und wann ein Ruckeln zu produzieren, auch wenn wir eine Hawaii-GPU mit 4 GiByte Speicher nutzen. Steigt die Auflösung, dann steigt auch der Hunger nach Grafikkartenspeicher - leider deutlich über die 4 GiByte hinaus. Zudem gibt es noch einige störende CPU-Spikes. Diese treten zwar auch unter Direct X und mit einer Geforce-GPU auf, dennoch sind sie unter Mantle stärker wahrnehmbar.

This means in English: The game uses 2,6GB with Direct X in 1080p while mantle uses 4,1GB, causing especially with mantle memory access stuttering even with GPUs with 4GB VRAM. Increasing the resolution will increase the VRAM requirements significantly beyond 4GB. In addition occacional CPU spikes with both, DX and mantle, more so with mantle.
Hopefully this gets fixed fast.

EdLin

Neo Member
I have a i3 4130 and a GTX 750 ti here, I can forget about running this game at reasonable settings, right?

ISee

Will it be better on my PC or on PS4, do you think. My PC is better than last-gen consoles, lots better in some cases, but my PS4 is probably better for a game like this?

Your PC is about as strong as a PS4. I bet you'll get the PC version running @1080p, FXXA, High Settings with, at least, 30fps.
It's also cheaper on PC, you can choose between gamepad (more action orientated gameplay) and mouse+keyboard (better for the tactical-view combat). with SSDs your loading times are going to be better. There are things like mods etc. (even for Dragon age 1 and 2) for PC.

When in doubt go PC.

Renekton

Will it be better on my PC or on PS4, do you think. My PC is better than last-gen consoles, lots better in some cases, but my PS4 is probably better for a game like this?
I'm leaning towards PC because Frostbite engine tends to scale well on PC and looks good even on lower settings.

But maybe you could wait for benchmarks and DF analysis this week.

I hope I can run this with my 660gtx and i54440.
Might have to lower the settings to get a stable 30 fps. I am starting to regret investing in an anemic processor.

Some parts quickly translated by me:

Introduction:
Now, with the engine known from the online-shooter Battlefield 4, the studio shows that it has answered to fan criticism. Technically Dragon Age: Inquisition has succeeded brilliantly and is sure to be the best looking role playing game thus far.
It only takes seconds to show us clearly, that Bioware wants to distance itself as far as possible from the heavily criticised second part of the franchise. While the constantly repeating levels in Dragon Age 2 were still small and mostly kept in boring red-brown, the sheer complexity of the outside scenes nearly overwhelm us and now every upcoming role playing game must measure itself with the unbelievable view distance and graphical finesse. Yes, even The Witcher 3. Bioware strikingly demonstrates what it can accomplish with new (console-) hardware, modern technology and most of all enough time on their hands. Wow!

[...] (battlefield 4)

Features:
For the Bioware role playing game the lightning and shading model was changed to Physically Based Rendering, additionally the developers consistently use all modern engine features. Including high resolution, albeit subtle textures, Soft Cascading Shadows, Volumetric Lighting, Parallax-Mapping, Tessellation, Imaged Based Lighting as well as Sub Surface Scattering and so forth. And the AMD-API Mantle, that especially helps older processors and those with rather below average performance-per-watt along. In some cases this is sorely needed, because the gigantic levels including scarcely perceptible level of detail and a lot of small finesses cause rather high hardware hunger that can't be satisfied with just a fast GPU.

[...] (character creation and depth of field)

Almost every texture is high resolution, and not only just two meters around the character, but rather until the horizon. Even the mountains in the backdrop are covered by exceptionally high resolution textures. Many of the surfaces are covered by parallax-maps, often in combination with tessellation. The plastic depth is by and large excellent. Okay, with a bit of effort you can find a few blurry textures or low-poly level objects, but those are really high-level nitpicks.

Issues:
One annoyance is the 30 fps lock during cutscenes that always feel quite suttery while the game runs with a 200 fps lock (that can be disabled). Additionally the lip movements aren't synced to the german localisation and some of the animations feel a bit wooden, even though the characters react very nicely to outer circumstances like the slant of the ground, and pronounced specular flickering.Sadly this isn't easily solvable. The many and maybe a little exaggerated glossy and reflecting surfaces are thanks to Physically Based Shading very beautiful in most cases, but have a severe downside: Typical anti aliasing methods like MSAA or FXAA don't or only insufficiently reduce shader aliasing. Bokeh-Depth of field in cut scenes amplify the issue. Some of few methods that work are only partly functional. In Dragon Age: Inquisition the resolution can only be upscaled from a lower to the native resolution. Internal resolutions above 100% don't work, not even per console command. That is irritating, but regarding the system requirements not dramatic, because those are steep.

Requirements:
On the highest settings Dragon Age: Inquisition is quite the hardware devourer. While the graphics card requirements are understandable for every gamer, it is first and foremost the CPU that is challenged. For hardware-affine gamers this might be reasonable, after all the wide view, level of detail and number of NPCs is quite impressive. But after many years of stagnation in this area the demand of the role playing game on the processor will surprise one or two. Gamers with a moderate Intel Quadcore with 3 GHz need to bring little sorrow, older or weaker processors with outdated performance-per-cycle circumstances will perhaps get into a pretty pickle. For instance, the Intel Core i7-920 of the author doesn't even get 30 fps at max details in Full-HD despite a overclock to 3.8 GHz. And even our test PC, a Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.5 Ghz has using DX11 one thread near maximum load. Admittedly it is possible to distribute the load a bit, if we reduce the resolution and anti-aliasing - the Haswell manages 120 fps in 720p - but each and every additional Megahertz expresses itself in additional fps even in 1080p with 4xMSAA.

Enters AMDs low-level API Mantle. Especially impressive are the performance improvements of Mantle for old or weak CPUs like the author uses. In combination with a R9 290X can the aged Bloomfield gain 45% performance compared to DX11. That is the difference between a intolerable Stutterfest and an adequately fluid game experience. Even with a Core i7-4790K @ 4.5 Ghz the low-level API can gain 10% compared to the overhead-plagued microsoft API. Thus the R9 290x can clearly pull ahead of the much stronger overclocked GTX 980.

[...] (Benchmarks and conclusion)

Top Bottom