• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Arizato

Well, holy shit!

I decided to recalibrate my entire overclock (also increasing in with 100Mhz) along with going back to (by making a clean install) to the Nvidia 344.75 driver. Game now runs perfectly on Medium-High.

I have no clue what I just did right.

Kezen

Banned
Well, holy shit!

I decided to recalibrate my entire overclock (also increasing in with 100Mhz) along with going back to (by making a clean install) to the Nvidia 344.75 driver. Game now runs perfectly on Medium-High.

I have no clue what I just did right.

You can also try the latest drivers.

Arizato

The latest drivers are the 347.52.

Yeah, which is why I said that I went back to the 344.75 drivers. Now I installed 247.52 and the game seems to still run great.

So all this crap was probably due to something in my previous overclock. I am having no stuttering at all now. Feels great! FPS constantly over 53, no dips under that anymore!

Arizato

With what settings ?

1920x1080 60.00Hz
Vertical Sync = Off

Mesh Quality = High
Tesselation Quality = Medium
Texture Quality = High
Shadow Quality = Medium
Terrain Quality = High
Vegetation Quality = Medium
Water Quality = Medium
Post Process Quality = Medium
Ambient Occlusion = SSAO
Effects Quality = Medium
Post-Process Antaliasing = Medium
Multisample Antialiasing = Off

Kezen

Banned
1920x1080 60.00Hz
Vertical Sync = Off

Mesh Quality = High
Tesselation Quality = Medium
Texture Quality = High
Shadow Quality = Medium
Terrain Quality = High
Vegetation Quality = Medium
Water Quality = Medium
Post Process Quality = Medium
Ambient Occlusion = SSAO
Effects Quality = Medium
Post-Process Antaliasing = Medium
Multisample Antialiasing = Off

That's better than I expected for this CPU.

Phionoxx

Anyone else having issues with CPU utilization staying at / around 100% while playing?

I have been waiting until I had some free time to get into the game, and as is, it is near unplayable for me. I experience FPS all over the place, from the low teens, to the high 80s. It will also frequently come to a stand still and pause for 3 - 5 seconds at a time, and not respond to any inputs at all. During NPC conversations, during gameplay, during cutscenes.

Playing on High settings / 1080p, with MSAA off.

2500K (OC @ 4.5 ghz)
eVGA 780 GTX SC (3GB)
16 GB RAM
Win 7 64 bit

I have disabled the origin overlay, steam is not running, not using MSI afterburner / Riva Tuner (read that overlays / frame limiters don't play well with the game). Any thoughts on what else I could try? Game seems fun but it isn't enjoyable in it's current state for me on PC.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
I installed the Windows 10 TP and using the Nvidia driver 349.65 I'm averaging between 70-90 fps in crowded areas, and 60-70 in combat.
The driver is buggy for a lot of other games but for Dragon Age the performance gain is legit.
Previous performance was:
30-40 fps with dips in the 20's during combat on Win 7
50-60 fps with dips in the 30's during combat on Win 8.1

Setup:
1920x1080p Max settings- MSAA-off Motion Blur-off
i7 4790k@4.5ghz
8gb DDR3 Ram
PNY GTX 660TI unlocked
Win10 TP 9926
Driver 349.65

daninthemix

I installed the Windows 10 TP and using the Nvidia driver 349.65 I'm averaging between 70-90 fps in crowded areas, and 60-70 in combat.
The driver is buggy for a lot of other games but for Dragon Age the performance gain is legit.
Previous performance was:
30-40 fps with dips in the 20's during combat on Win 7
50-60 fps with dips in the 30's during combat on Win 8.1

Setup:
1920x1080p Max settings- MSAA-off Motion Blur-off
i7 4790k@4.5ghz
8gb DDR3 Ram
PNY GTX 660TI unlocked
Win10 TP 9926
Driver 349.65

Wow, that's some nice frame rates. How is W10 achieving this, do we know?

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Playing that game without AA though . . .

Can you get some SMAA with ReShade and SweetFX 2?

Yeah I hear you... but the post processing AA isn't bad for what it is.
Reshade v14 works but has been causing some really strange issues. Performance with reshade enabled (even with all the options off) causes frequent drops into the 30's and a few CTD on my rig. I am hoping that once 349.72 drivers drop we will have custom resolutions available again so I can go back to 2560x1080p.

Wow, that's some nice frame rates. How is W10 achieving this, do we know?

The 349.65 driver installed via the Windows update is definitely responsible. Prior to that I was using the 347.52 drivers with very little performance gain being on the new OS. If you have an Nvidia card and enough Hdd space you should try a dual boot setup to test things out.

Diablos

I created my character; the game froze and I crashed straight to desktop.

I then tried the benchmark... crashed straight to desktop again. No error messages either time.

No idea what the hell is going on but I'm about to take advantage of that 24-hour window you get if you want to return your game. This is ABSURD.

I updated to the nVidia 350.05 hotfix, we'll see if that works.

robgrab

Has anyone tried running this under Windows 10 yet? I'm currently running Windows 7 but I heard DAI ran much better under Windows 8.1 but didn't want to upgrade with 10 being so close. So now that it's out does it runs as well, or better, under Windows 10?

Has anyone tried running this under Windows 10 yet? I'm currently running Windows 7 but I heard DAI ran much better under Windows 8.1 but didn't want to upgrade with 10 being so close. So now that it's out does it runs as well, or better, under Windows 10?

I just upgraded to 10 from 8.1. I don't have any 8.1 benchmarks saved, but I'll run DA:I this weekend and see how she holds up. Only game I've ran so far is Witcher 3 and it runs about the same. Synthetic benchmarks put 10 on par with 8.1 right now, so I guess we'll see.

I started the new DLC, and now it's running real choppy. Low fps and drops abound. I've upgraded since I last played from a 770 to 970, so the last thing I expected was worse performance >.>

Is it a Windows 10 thing? Anyone else have choppy performance with a 970 or Windows 10? Latest NVIDIA drivers btw

Soren01

Sorry for bump this thread, but today I started Inquisition.

While the engine maitain 60fps, everything is super smooth, but when fps reach 50/55, the game stutters like hell...

If I lock the game at 30fps, it becomes unplayable... Last year, when I played on PS4, the experience at 30fps was great.

Any fix for this case? Is this game 60fps+ obligatory?

dr_rus

What videocard do you have? If it's GF then you may try forcing adaptive vsync and/or setting prerender limit to 1 and see if that helps.

Soren01

Hm, what happens if you restore the defaults in driver CP and force vsync off there? Does it stutter all the time?
After restore everything in CP, I had less stuttering at higher framerates, but still unplayable when reach 45fps-

I really want to play this game at 30fps with almost everything maxed

Edit: setting Maximum pre rendered frame to defined by application instead of 1, results in almost 0 stuttering :)

Top Bottom