• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

I'm on the fence for buying this on release. I'd love to see what I'd be able to get with my specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.2
8 gigs RAM

I expect everything maxxed with maybe no MSAA. I realize the game is CPU heavy but the 4.2ghz should help.

From http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138338767&postcount=48

Requirements:
On the highest settings Dragon Age: Inquisition is quite the hardware devourer. While the graphics card requirements are understandable for every gamer, it is first and foremost the CPU that is challenged. For hardware-affine gamers this might be reasonable, after all the wide view, level of detail and number of NPCs is quite impressive. But after many years of stagnation in this area the demand of the role playing game on the processor will surprise one or two. Gamers with a moderate Intel Quadcore with 3 GHz need to bring little sorrow, older or weaker processors with outdated performance-per-cycle circumstances will perhaps get into a pretty pickle. For instance, the Intel Core i7-920 of the author doesn't even get 30 fps at max details in Full-HD despite a overclock to 3.8 GHz. And even our test PC, a Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.5 Ghz has using DX11 one thread near maximum load. Admittedly it is possible to distribute the load a bit, if we reduce the resolution and anti-aliasing - the Haswell manages 120 fps in 720p - but each and every additional Megahertz expresses itself in additional fps even in 1080p with 4xMSAA.

Enters AMDs low-level API Mantle. Especially impressive are the performance improvements of Mantle for old or weak CPUs like the author uses. In combination with a R9 290X can the aged Bloomfield gain 45% performance compared to DX11. That is the difference between a intolerable Stutterfest and an adequately fluid game experience. Even with a Core i7-4790K @ 4.5 Ghz the low-level API can gain 10% compared to the overhead-plagued microsoft API. Thus the R9 290x can clearly pull ahead of the much stronger overclocked GTX 980.

Tovarisc

GeForce Experience?

A tip, disable it and try for yourself.

I've had several performance issues in some games like Shadows of Mordor or Wolfenstein TNO that were solved just by shutting down GFExp. And I have a 2500k, GTX 970 G1 and 16GB RAM.

Just try the settings by yourself.

I always put in setting manually in-game.

And tweak them until where I want Look to FPS ratio to be or go for pure FPS.

turcy

hrmmm, games lately be making me think i should invest in a 1080p monitor [currently on a 1440p setup] instead of a second video card...

game doesn't blow me away in screenshots, but is still impressive on many technical levels.

GavinUK86

i7 2600k and 660 sli should be fine. i can max out bf so i don't see see why this would demand so much more. never use 4x msaa anyway, bit op.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Without the AA, my laptop should max this at 1080p/30fps.

I'm sure Nvidia will be dropping a Game Ready driver for this by next Monday.

AMD? Who knows....

UnrealEck

Will Mantle be useable with an nVidia card? If not, I sure hope those nVidia drivers bring something special because the i7 920 is the CPU I'm using. Served me well so far even in great CPU utilised games like Crysis 3.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My 670 is ready. Just drop AA to 2x or a cheaper alternative and I can run it at max at around 40fps.wont complain!

wiggleb0t

Banned
Frostbite engine with BF4 blows me away with its graphics & the hunger of it chewing threw rigs esp cpus. Utiizes all cpu on i7 3770k @ 4.6 & so/so SLI 7704gb scaling.

The screens of DA;I look very underwhelming. Is it not pic friendly but gorgeous in motion?

JudgeN

How well does Frostbite Engine scale with more CPU cores? Will an i7 5820k make a big difference if the game is CPU bound?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Frostbite engine with BF4 blows me away with its graphics & the hunger of it chewing threw rigs esp cpus. Utiizes all cpu on i7 3770k @ 4.6 & so/so SLI 7704gb scaling.

The screens of DA;I look very underwhelming. Is it not pic friendly but gorgeous in motion?

Well it is a cross gen game. We have to wait for DA:I 2, to be blown away.

Fortunately ME4 will be current gen only.

Kevyt

Bought an MSI GTX 970 a few weeks ago. I was hoping it would last slightly longer before I had to dial down the quality settings substantially. Jesus.

Wait for Nvidia drivers, set AA to 2x MSAA and you'll be at 60+ fps easily. Also don't forget this is an AMD title.

Hmm well BF4 ran pretty damn well on my 7850, I know I'm below recommended but wondering how my machine is gonna fare with this. Have a 3570k @ 3.4 and 8gb. Can't be as bad as unity :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that picture in the OP says "Retail - Steam"

... :(

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I'm just waiting for early adopters to let me know if this is worth getting on pc. C'mon Bioware don't fuck this one up!

There's more to how a game runs than just what engine it uses.

The engine and API are what I was mentioning, and they determine what goes to the screen. If there is anything in there that heavily favors a specific architecture it's kind of shiesty. I believe it was Star Citizen which made it so the DX11 version was identical across cards but when you used Mantle it removed a Motion Blur effect that added a good chunk of fps by itself. I'm wondering why there is a huge disparity between 2 GPU's using the same engine and API. There no real reason why at the same settings, using DX11, at the same resolution, a 290X would outperform a GTX980.

In that chart, AMD used Mantle while Nvidia used DX11

I think?

In the charts I linked to all are running DX11 to give a fair comparison. Obviously Mantle favors AMD cards much like PhysX favors Nvidia setups. In the chart posted in the OP it shows the Mantle numbers and DX11 numbers for AMD cards and the DX11 numbers for Nvidia cards.

How well does Frostbite Engine scale with more CPU cores? Will an i7 5820k make a big difference if the game is CPU bound?

It scales up to 8 threads, possibly more. I know BF3 which uses an older version (2.5?) of the engine scaled up to 8, so for all I know full blown FB3 could use up to 10 or 12.

I wonder how well will my PC fare?

AMD PhenomII x4 955 BE
AMD HD 7870 OC
8gigs of RAM

I heard good reviews on performance, and I hope I can at least get smooth gameplay on high. I might sacrifice shadow to med, if I have to.

You need a new CPU. Phenom II's are pretty dated at this point and even with a healthy OC even a Sandy Bridge or later i3 is better in most games.

You need a new CPU. Phenom II's are pretty dated at this point and even with a healthy OC even a Sandy Bridge or later i3 is better in most games.

Well, yeah. My PC is already 5-year-old, not including the GPU (it was 5770 when I built it). I'm planning to buy a new CPU in February (for the Witcher 3).

Well, yeah. My PC is already 5-year-old, not including the GPU (it was 5770 when I built it). I'm planning to buy a new CPU in February (for the Witcher 3).

Haha- sounds a lot like my original PC that I built at the end of 2009- Phenom II X3 720 that I unlocked the 4th core (basically making it a 955) and a 5770.

Pretty much gutted the thing last fall and put in a GTX 760 and an i5 4670k and the processor change alone helped games tremendously.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hopefully my i5 4690k handles it nicely. just built the rig like 1 month ago and everyone kept saying "i5 is enough i5 is enough", and now im regretting not getting a i7 :/

oddjobs

So, my rig has:

- i5 2320 @ 3.0ghz
- 560 Ti @ 1 Gb VRAM
- 12 Gb RAM

The question is, PS4 or PC? Feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here :/

4xMSAA is a 40% performance hit in BF4. A 290X should approach 100FPS at 1080p without MSAA. That's reasonable performance.

So, my rig has:

- i5 2320 @ 3.0ghz
- 560 Ti @ 1 Gb VRAM
- 12 Gb RAM

The question is, PS4 or PC? Feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here :/

PS4 for you unless you're planning to upgrade that GPU.

ISee

So, my rig has:

- i5 2320 @ 3.0ghz
- 560 Ti @ 1 Gb VRAM
- 12 Gb RAM

Go PS4. Both your CPU and your GPU aren't up for the task to be honest.

I have an Ivy Bridge i3 and a GTX 650ti...I am most likely fucked. Although, I WAS able to run Shadow of Mordor at pretty high settings at ok frame rates. Ugh. Not sure if I should buy Dragon Age now.

Skirn

It should be solid, since it doesn't have nearly as much crap going on in one scene as BF4.

Low versus Ultra
Yup I think modest old rigs will still get a decent-looking game.

That looks surprisingly good for low settings, well except the jaggies, which can be fixed with post-processing AA. I'll probably have to use a mix of Low, Medium and High to gain a stable 30 FPS with my HD6950 2GB (8GB RAM and i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz).

yami4ct

Reading the System Requirements for this game, what defines a "Quad Core Intel CPU"? At a certain point, they have to be so old not to work, right? Currently running an i5 750 clocked at 3.2, but that thing is really old compared to a lot of processors. I'm thinking of grabbing a new Video Card to get a couple more years out of this build, but if I can't even run it at low/medium settings at 1080p, I guess it wouldn't be worth it.

I guess what I'm asking, could my processor with a reasonable video card upgrade (Thinking 270x given my budget) run this thing at 1080 with low/medium settings ~30 FPS or should I be looking PS4? Really don't want to use a controller on this and I don't have a budget for a full PC rebuild.

EDIT: Well, reading up and seeing that DA:I's M+K controls aren't that amazing anyway. Will probably just take the money I would've spent on that GC and put it aside until I can do a full rebuild. Just grab it on PS4.

Rolfgang

hopefully my i5 4690k handles it nicely. just built the rig like 1 month ago and everyone kept saying "i5 is enough i5 is enough", and now im regretting not getting a i7 :/

I have the same CPU and you don't have to worry. For gaming the difference between an i5 and an i7 the difference is minimal, because the multi-threading of an i7 doesn't get used in games, only with stuff like video-editing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Looks like Mantle really making a difference at the high end(290/290X). Good to see. Hopefully DX12 can achieve something similar.

The only Mantle game I've tried was Thief and I experienced a huge performance boost on my current setup. (I own BF4 but I haven't booted it up since before Mantle was released.)
I'm planning to move to an Nvidia card but I'm glad AMD forced the issue.

shootfast

I have 460 sli, if they did sli correctly I would be just on the recommended specs as it is better then a 660 by a smudge. If they didn't :(
Also validates my decision to get the i7 when nothing was even stressing out the i5.
Edit:Anyone used EA refund? May have to use it if this doesn't pan out, not ready for gpu upgrade yet. Maybe next year.

Considering those benchmarks are made with an i7 and give a good performance boost i guess we'll finally see how good mantle is when people start using their FXs and i3/i5

Kinthalis

Banned
Why do benchmakrs always turn on MSAA? Who seriously uses that AA method in deferred engines anymore?

It does nothing for shader, temporal and transparency aliasing and it's a DOG to run on these engines.

The game offers SMAA, which is going to achieve way better results and it's MUCH cheaper to run, it's what most people are going to use (with FXAA as a secondary option), and you'll likely see those frame rates double.

Makes no sense.

Gumbie

Why do benchmakrs always turn on MSAA? Who seriously uses that AA method in deferred engines anymore?

It does nothing for shader, temporal and transparency aliasing and it's a DOG to run on these engines.

The game offers SMAA, which is going to achieve way better results and it's MUCH cheaper to run, it's what most people are going to use (with FXAA as a secondary option), and you'll likely see those frame rates double.

Makes no sense.

I know it's frustrating. I really want to see some benches with 2xMSAA and SMAA. Also does anyone know if this is for sure a DirectX 11.2 game? If it is and (I think it is) I suspect it will run a little bit better in Windows 8/8.1 similar to Battlefield 4.

SpotAnime

I'm glad they mention the i7 920 in the benchmark - so many performance comparisons use only top-of-the-line CPUs. I have a i7 950 with a GTX 970, and it sounds like I can run at high-ish settings and still get fps in the 30s.

I really need to upgrade my CPU. Damn if reloading Windows wasn't so much of a chore...

Xando

So when Nvidia (hopefully) releases a optimized driver next week how much of a perfomance gain are we talking? a few fps, >10 fps?

Top Bottom