• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Photomode |OT| The better you look, the more you can get away with.

Auctopus

The patch we've been all waiting for is here!

What? No, not weather.

It's photo-mode!\

Camera movement (Camera Type changes it to Free Camera):

driveclub_20141118113frqh4.jpg

Camera Settings:

So the screenshot thread doesn't collapse under the weight of the new patch, here's a thread where we can post our new screens to our heart's content...

My first attempt:

I'd take some pics, but I've decided not to play the game again until they've fixed the online issues and weather is available.

I look forward to seeing some lovely shots though.

eso76

Do we know if it's a proper photomode with visual enhancements and downsampling (a la' Forza, GT etc) or it's just "place your camera, adjust DOF etc" and snap with share button like Infamous and TLOU ?

Vein

Banned
I wonder how it looks. Will be trying out soon. Weather gifs with photo mode will redeem this game.

JON4495

Tried it out for a quick 5 minutes, seems cool but I'd need to have a better understanding of what all the picture processing stuff does.

What do 'Bokeh' and 'Focal point' change? I set focal point to max and the sky turned green, and bokeh didn't seem to do anything as far as I could tell.

Danlord

Do we know if it's a proper photomode with visual enhancements and downsampling (a la' Forza, GT etc) or it's just "place your camera, adjust DOF etc" and snap with share button like Infamous and TLOU ?

No downsampling, filters, depth of field, shutter speed, angle etc with borders and filters.

Shaneus

iR80OWeLcnNyW.jpg

Quick and dirty first one, was hoping it would use more than just the share button because as you can see, there's some gnarly compression going on there.

The problem is that although Sony have allowed us to extract the images via USB, they are still compressed, so the best option is to set up the shot and then use a capture card.

eso76

My first attempt.

I've posted screens in the OP now.

Nice set of options, glad they're sticking to real values for aperture and shutter speed.

Shame about no added AA solution, but at least you could say that this kind of photomode is representative of ingame graphics.

Share function though....when will Sony give us the possibility to capture uncompressed images and compress them only when it's needed for uploading to fb or wherever ? : \

No replays in this patch yet right ?

EDIT: and quick, someone show us how high you can place your camera above the track and how close to the cars !

benzy

So the post-processing AA is in real-time and you'll see it gradually appear (and jaggies disappear) if you leave the settings alone for a bit. Guess this is the only way they could do it considering the game doesn't actually take an image for you, you have to use the share button, which means compressed images. Wish it was like in GT/Forza where the game actually renders a supersample high-quality image that we can export to our PCs.

zzzjwv.jpg

tgteqj.jpg

hxwkbs.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice set of options, glad they're sticking to real values for aperture and shutter speed.

Shame about no added AA solution, but at least you could say that this kind of photomode is representative of ingame graphics.

Share function though....when will Sony give us the possibility to capture uncompressed images and compress them only when it's needed for uploading to fb or wherever ? : \

No replays in this patch yet right ?

EDIT: and quick, someone show us how high you can place your camera above the track and how close to the cars !
At the very least, motion blur and DoF can hide a lot of the aliasing and other not-great aspects of the visuals.

eso76

So the post-processing AA is in real-time and you'll see it gradually appear (and jaggies disappear) if you leave the settings alone for a bit.

Ah, i see.
Forza does that too, with DOF, motion blur and AA being rendered and refined in several realtime passes, but it's so quick you hardly notice. Of course when you actually snap the pic it gets re-rendered in even better quality though.

Caayn

So the post-processing AA is in real-time and you'll see it gradually appear (and jaggies disappear) if you leave the settings alone for a bit.
Jup. However the LOD and shadows also improve in photo mode, depending on how long you let the image sit still.

Non-photo mode
driveclubnormalcaayn3bs9i.png

Photo mode
driveclubphoto1caaynbksxz.png

Photo mode letting it render for a few seconds
driveclubphoto2caayn4lsnr.png

Just like with Forza and GT, photo mode drastically improves the image.

benzy

Jup. However the LOD and shadows also improve in photo mode, depending on how long you let the image sit still.

Non-photo mode

Photo mode

That non-photomode capture has natural in-game blur that's blurring the details found in the stand-still photos though. The shadow quality and LOD look the same to me.

Vein

Banned

Non-photo mode

Photo mode

DEAR GOD look at those soft shadows and better AA!

UHG! Torture sometimes.

Top Bottom