• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Review Thread

Geometry-Wars-3-Dimensions-key-art.jpg

Destructoid 10/10

For a game that's all about iteration, it's somewhat surprising that Dimensions includes a throw-back to its roots. Under a heading called "Classic Mode," the majority of Retro Evolved 2 is present in the format that fans will recognize it in. No 3D grids, no supers or drones -- just the gameplay from 2008 that was so popular. There are also local cooperative and online competitive multiplayer modes to round out all that Adventure has to offer.

Classic Mode's inclusion might just be a nod to the mindset of Lucid Games when developing Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions -- improve as much as possible while still staying true to the core of the franchise. That old game is still there, it's just unspeakably better now. It may have been past installments in the series that were billed as evolution, but Dimensions is where Geometry Wars truly evolved.

Polygon 8/10

That inclusion isn't Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions' saving grace, exactly. Tallying its original content on its own, Dimensions offers a very replayable, highly varied take on a too-long dormant modern classic. That new take doesn't hit quite as strong a note as its predecessors, but the presence of the modes that made Geometry Wars so beloved makes for a game that feels much more definitive, and much more worth recommending.

Gamezone 9/10

Dimensions is a great return of the franchise. Crammed with content for just about any player, whether they're looking for single player challenges or just want to kick back and spend the night trying to perfect their scores in the game's Evolved mode, it's all there, ready and waiting. Score Attack purists might not love the inclusion of Drones from Galaxies, as they'll undoubtedly skew results, but thankfully the Drones are only tied down to the single player campaign. So what are you waiting for, go shoot at some shapes!

More reviews to follow. Kevin from gamespot will have his review up sometime today

Is it out? They took my money today but i have not checked.

As someone who thought this was xbox exclusive and loved the original, i screamed a little when i saw it on gaff last week as ps4 as well :)

Is it out? They took my money today but i have not checked.

As someone who thought this was xbox exclusive and loved the original, i screamed a little when i saw it on gaff last week as ps4 as well :)

It came out for PC and NA Playstation today.

It will come out tomorrow for Xbox and EU Playstation.

I don't understand why the Xbox One page says releasing 11/26 but just below in the description it says unlocked 11/25 at 7:01 est

Xbudz

Recently got $10 credit for completing a survey on Expert Zone, so for $5 this is a nobrainer.

Purchased and preloaded.

Is the game as leaderboard-focused as the first two games? Please tell me it is.
yes. it has obviously more mode selection from the main screen, but every single campaign level has leaderboards upon selecting it, and each classic mode has leaderboards easily viewable before you get started. you can also filter leaderboards by friends and worldwide with a single button press.

Duallusion

Bought it on US PSN about 8 hours ago. It's basically a sequel to GW Galaxies with classic modes included. Awesome, in other words.

naib

me too , i am in dunkin donats right now
and thank god they decide to keep the free wifi on this time
but its very very slow
I've brought my PC up to work for a few games.. I shouldn't be doing that.

I think I have just enough data left for this one. =D

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yep, it's Geometry Wars. Classic modes seem the same. Adventure mode seems interesting, especially as I never played Galaxies.

Weird, mine fully unlocked at 6pm.

Evolved is different, the tacks from GeoWars RE are back... but it's mostly the same

Deadline sees o have slightly loosened the wave timing based on enemies killed... killing one enemy at start launches second wave... iirc you needed two... so this leads me to geting a gate with 2:45 best case... though in 360 version i'd get a gate at 2:40 or 2:42

But beyond that... still feels the same outside of the gravity wells

Zeth

Just played through to the second boss in Adventure mode - pretty fun. More Geometry Wars. Upgrades and unlocks in the campaign seem interesting (haven't played Galaxies etc). Haven't even tried Classic yet - but I'm sure that will give lots of enjoyment.

120v

i was hoping adventure mode would be more akin to Galaxies. otherwise its lots of fun... i plan on binge playing all thanksgiving

Top Bottom