• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASW JP Twitter: "PS3 version of Guilty Gear Xrd features a visual toggle"

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Original tweet and Dustloop translation.

This might be a bit far-fetched, but could this mean that the toggle option switches between 60 fps/720p & 30 fps/900 or 1080p? Crazy if they allowed cross play between platforms running at different framerate. Don't know what to make of this.

AAK

I assume the arcade hardware is more powerful than the PS3, hence I definitely expect the visuals to take a huge hit to maintain 60fps.

impact

Banned
Why would anyone want to play this (or any fighting game) at under 60fps? I don't want to be rude but you're a moron if you do that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
wouldnt make sense for online play if its cross-play with ps4 users. unless they force you to 60fps in that instance

Kakulin

Banned
On PC, everyone plays online against each other at different framerates and resolutions from each other in like, every game.

duckroll

Xrd uses Unreal Engine right? Could it be a loading time setting? For example if you prefer better visuals, it takes longer to load into matches but there's zero texture pop-up, but if you prefer speed it loads into matches faster but you might get texture pop-up in the first few seconds? That makes more sense to me than it being a resolution/fps setting. :p

fader

maybe its 1080p to 720p, 720p being speed and nothing more drastic than that...
Hopefully...

Xrd uses Unreal Engine right? Could it be a loading time setting? For example if you prefer better visuals, it takes longer to load into matches but there's zero texture pop-up, but if you prefer speed it loads into matches faster but you might get texture pop-up in the first few seconds? That makes more sense to me than it being a resolution/fps setting. :p

that brings up a good point. Perhaps we are mistranslating what they mean by "speed"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Those hoping for parity with the arcade version will probably be disappointed. The base hardware they used when developing the game(ringedge 2) was a 500gflop GPU with 1gb GDDR5 and an i3 along with 4gb of DDR3 memory, and even with that they could not get beyond 720p. Regardless of what one wants to say, that is far beyond the PS3's base capability. There will be cutbacks to places beyond simply resolution for the PS3 release

fader

Those hoping for parity with the arcade version will probably be disappointed. The base hardware they used when developing the game(ringedge 2) was a 500gflop GPU with 1gb GDDR5 and an i3 along with 4gb of DDR3 memory, and even with that they could not get beyond 720p. Regardless of what one wants to say, that is far beyond the PS3's base capability. There will be cutbacks to places beyond simply resolution for the PS3 release

you are making me extremely sad...

Wonko_C

From an older thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139905262&postcount=66

So probably the visual toggle won't do very drastic stuff, we'll have to wait and see.

Laconic

Banned
Wasn't the PS3 version being used at some recent tradeshow and nobody was the wiser? No need to panic here.

Basically, yes.

This topic is just for pushing those who are panicky enough to go buy a PS4, a new stick, and a subscription to Plus, over the slightest worry, into the realm of Based Regret.

Next gen vs old gen D3, this ain't.

jett

D-Member
It's UE3 on the PS3, it's a nightmare to make it run at 60fps, according to Netherrealm, the only studio to ever release a 60fps PS3 game that runs on UE3.

I imagine there's a sub-HD version with pared-down graphics at 60fps, and a more normal looking one at 30fps.

Uraizen

Banned
Ahh, I see what this is, I remember somebody mentioning the PS3 version had longer load times. This probably eliminates that issue.

Wonko_C

Fresh from dustloop:

you can stop panicking.

This seems to imply the game runs at 30fps on Quality Mode, or maybe at variable framerate (while maintaining the game's speed).

Speed Mode seems like something Capcom did with the Vita version of UMVC3, the backgrounds had less animation (or they were static), but it still looked pretty close and gameplay was intact.

Xater

It's UE3 on the PS3, it's a nightmare to make it run at 60fps, according to Netherrealm, the only studio to ever release a 60fps PS3 game that runs on UE3.

I imagine there's a sub-HD version with pared-down graphics at 60fps, and a more normal looking one at 30fps.

Yeah I don't want to know what dark magic these guys delved into to make that shit work.

RobRSG

I thought about a Vsync option.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on PS3 paid with performance in order to have Vsync on.

Top Bottom