• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next step for display tech: dynamic strobing with variable refresh rate

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looking at my new monitor and thinking about how ULMB (strobing backlight to avoid eye tracking blur) and G-Sync (variable frame rate to avoid vsync stutter) can't be used at the same time, I thought "why not?".

They don't do that right now because with a fixed strobe intensity the perceived brightness would change as your framerate changed - it would look like a lightbulb that was about to burn out and you'd feel like your monitor was broken. To compensate for that effect, they could strobe at the same time the frame is displayed (on demand) and vary the strobe intensity frame-by-frame - brighter (longer) if more time had passed since the last frame, dimmer (shorter) if less time had passed, so the total light delivered per second is constant. Of course the hardware would need to be in place to be able to do that.

Having put all that together, I thought "there's no way I'm the first person to think of this", and yup, beaten by a year by Mark Rejhon here:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/creating-strobe-backlight/#variablerefresh

He goes into more detail about the options for implementation and offered the idea up for free, just asking for credit if anyone files a patent using the idea.

I thought it would be good to get a thread started for it. Are any manufacturers looking at this yet? It would have obvious benefits for VR headsets, but would work just as well for larger panels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would love for this to happen. Motion resolution is something I'm quite sensitive to and it makes me sad how ignored it's become over the years.

GavinGT

Banned
I have a Lightboost-capable monitor, but I don't like how it messes with the screen brightness. I don't use it any more.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Does strobing produce a CRT-like flicker?
I remember back when I had a CRT anything under 85hz was unpleasant.

Yup, it would flicker at 60. That's why ULMB is only available at 85-120Hz.

The proposal I linked suggested pulsing backlight at 60 without going off completely, which might be ok.

Wouldn't strobing at less than 60hz be straining for the eyes? Honest question..

It would only start strobing at the higher frame rates, otherwise it's a normal constant backlight.

I have a Lightboost-capable monitor, but I don't like how it messes with the screen brightness. I don't use it any more.

Yeah, I have this problem with the Swift, although the VG278H with the strobe utility hack was fine. Depends on the strength of the backlight I guess.

Instead of constantly strobing, why not lead every refresh with a quick blink of the backlight?

That's what being suggested - flash once at the beginning of each frame as it's displayed, with an intensity determined by the ms elapsed since last frame.

ULMB already does one strobe per frame, it just can't do the variable timing and intensity.

Top Bottom