• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Zesteria Trailer is up !

Mifec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lKuuu26hk4

Edit : just noticed the date of the vid but don't think it was posted yet .

Was posted in the other Zestiria thread.

Game looks great, love all the Japanese VA's except the two female party members, umbrella girl and longhaired tenzoku chick.

Glad we are getting dual audio in the western release. Love the open world/instant battle thingy too.

Combat doesn't look like graces even if made by the same people so I hope I will like it :)

I'm kind of irritated that I need to keep my PS3 around for this, but it's looking decent enough that I think I've got to. Ufotable doing good work as ever!

Verder

Hmm I'm not sure.

The game environment seems to be lacking detail. Hopefully I'm wrong .

Still getting though

kewlmyc

Was posted in the other Zestiria thread.

Game looks great, love all the Japanese VA's except the two female party members, umbrella girl and longhaired tenzoku chick.

Glad we are getting dual audio in the western release. Love the open world/instant battle thingy too.

Combat doesn't look like graces even if made by the same people so I hope I will like it :)

That's been confirmed?

Lol No Gameplay in that trailer.

There actually was, but it only lasted for 5 seconds at most.

Mifec

That's been confirmed?

There actually was, but it only lasted for 5 seconds at most.

Hideo Baba said he would like for it to be in and that it could also be DLC but that he would rather it's on disc and later it was confirmed.

It's not like being on the PS4 would be any help to the graphics or Japanese sales.

The west is the main reason for a PS4 version at this point, I think even NAMCO knows that. There's only a PS3 version of Godzilla in Japan while the western announcement revealed there to be a PS4 version to launch alongside the PS3 version. And the recent Jump All Stars announcement included a PS4 version as well. I'd honestly be surprised if Zestiria launched in the west next year without a PS4 version.

3Kaze

The west is the main reason for a PS4 version at this point, I think even NAMCO knows that. There's only a PS3 version of Godzilla in Japan while the western announcement revealed there to be a PS4 version to launch alongside the PS3 version. And the recent Jump All Stars announcement included a PS4 version as well. I'd honestly be surprised if Zestiria launched in the west next year without a PS4 version.
They might as well release the game on ps4 in Japan then, it would be the biggest game on the platform.

They might as well release the game on ps4 in Japan then, it would be the biggest game on the platform.

Zestiria probably won't be released in the west until sometime late next year, and the Japanese version is due out in less than a month. So if the PS4 version even exists (and I think it does), then it's unlikely that it's close to being finished.

Mifec

Zestiria probably won't be released in the west until sometime late next year, and the Japanese version is due out in less than a month. So if the PS4 version even exists (and I think it does), then it's unlikely that it's close to being finished.

It's gonna be released by July actually, so not late next year.

It's gonna be released by July actually, so not late next year.

Well, middle of the year then. Baba acknowledged how quick the west has moved on, so that makes me think there's a possibility for a PS4 launch along with the PS3 version in the west

Oh, and I asked Hideo Baba if, inspired by Persona 5’s recent jump from PS3 to PS4, he was considering a similar move. He noted that while the western market for Tales is important, Japan is still its most important territory, and Japanese fans have no issues playing it on PS3. With that said, he admitted that he was surprised how quickly western audiences have taken to next-gen hardware, and that they may have to reconsider their approach in the future. Does that mean that there will one day be a PS4 iteration of Tales of Zestiria? Not necessarily, but it does mean that it’s on the series’ producer’s mind.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09...stirias-all-new-take-on-a-classic-jrpg-series

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Namco isn't going to make any platform or porting decisions based off of the meager western sales. We'll get the PS3 version in the west next year and that's it. You should just wait for the inevitable japanese Tales of Zesteria DX port for PS4 in 2016.

If I repress the horrible VA Milla had hard enough I can say for a fact that I enjoyed Xillia a lot.

Same here. I didn't have a HUGE problem with her VA, though; it was only mildly annoying.

Reaction to the first Xillia on GAF seems mixed, but most appear to have a comparatively positive opinion of Xillia 2.

Enjoyed both but xillia 2 was annoying with all the reused assets.

I'm enjoying Xillia 2 more personally. Even with the reused assets, the story is a lot more serviceable than Xillia 1; I feel like the reused assets is the only thing really holding it back (the debt system is manageable), because without the context, it's a much better game than Xillia 1. However, you can't really help looking back at its predecessor. Still enjoyed them, even though they are middling Tales titles.

I really hope Zestiria turns out to be a return to form, and it really looks like it's going to be.

Namco isn't going to make any platform or porting decisions based off of the meager western sales. We'll get the PS3 version in the west next year and that's it. You should just wait for the inevitable japanese Tales of Zesteria DX port for PS4 in 2016.

Western sales aren't meagre.

Xillia did over 1 million in the West (outdated sales figure btw), thats over 300k sales from West and no doubt the numbers much higher now. Thats a notable chunk of its sales. Not to mention many franchises are declining on PS3 not just in the West but in Japan as well. Publishers will eventually have to move on and Baba has said that PS4 is where they are going so would it not make sense to bridge the gap and start building a base on PS4 sooner than later.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Western sales aren't meagre.

Xillia did over 1 million in the West (outdated sales figure btw), thats over 300k sales from West and no doubt the numbers much higher now. Thats a notable chunk of its sales. Not to mention many franchises are declining on PS3 not just in the West but in Japan as well. Publishers will eventually have to move on and Baba has said that PS4 is where they are going so would it not make sense to bridge the gap and start building a base on PS4 sooner than later.
I would love to see the source for Xillia's 1 million sales in the west. Or even 300k.

And you are totally right that it makes sense to bridge the gap to the PS4. But they'll do that with an updated version of Zesteria in 2016, not with a western exclusive port at the same time as the PS3 version. In fact, the inevitable Zesteria DX is a good reason why they won't make a PS4 port next year for the west: it'll take away one of the selling points for the updated version of Zesteria.

Of course, at this point we are arguing HOW Namco is going to do it vs what they'll inevitably do, which is a bit silly :)

HMD

Ugh why are Tales games so afraid of original character design, abyss had an anime looking cast but they still had some originality to them, not this time though, literally every character is an anime stereotype.

I would love to see the source for Xillia's 1 million sales in the west. Or even 300k.

And you are totally right that it makes sense to bridge the gap to the PS4. But they'll do that with an updated version of Zesteria in 2016, not with a western exclusive port at the same time as the PS3 version. In fact, the inevitable Zesteria DX is a good reason why they won't make a PS4 port next year for the west: it'll take away one of the selling points for the updated version of Zesteria.

Of course, at this point we are arguing HOW Namco is going to do it vs what they'll inevitably do, which is a bit silly :)

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=695968

I can see Namco going your route as well but I actually think that Namco wants to make Tales an annual franchise and that we might get another Tales (PS4) in 2016.

dramatis

He probably meant to say 1 million worldwide. Assuming the figure is sales (and not shipment) and it is true, then Xillia's sales in the west should be at least 230k, since in Japan Xillia's sales are about 670k.

So no, it's not 300k in the west, but 230k is a sizable number for a game that's probably considered niche outside Japan.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The music in that trailer was fantastic.

Also, first they had a guy that looks like Link, now they have one that looks like blond Ganondorf/Demise.

Falk

that puzzling face
As an aside, if you liked the trailer music, you should check out God Eater 2's soundtrack, which is pretty much Go Shiina's current style.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp6nEOrFUE

jokes actually on you since GE2 doesn't have a soundtrack release. Go buy Rage Burst when it comes out

SerTapTap

It's not like being on the PS4 would be any help to the graphics or Japanese sales.

It's probably 720p like Xillia so yeah I'm sure they could get something out of PS4. Basically anything 3D instantly benefits from extra graphics power because you can always use more AA.

This cannot be a PS3 game. I don't remember Xillia looking this graphically anemic ever :/.

Easily looks on par with Xillia if not better. Not sure what you're talking about/expecting. It's a tales game on PS3, not Uncharted 4.

If they want to bring the title to the west...

I do hope they put it on PS4, but anyone interested in Japanese games would be an idiot to ditch their PS3 any time soon. I'm sure it will do about as well as a standard tales game though a PS4 port probably couldn't hurt.

Espada

Ugh why are Tales games so afraid of original character design, abyss had an anime looking cast but they still had some originality to them, not this time thought, literally every character is an anime stereotype.

Well, Tales games are pretty damn close to being playable anime at this point. What you're noticing is the Tales team using multiple artists to design the cast. The result is a really inconsistent look.

Anyway, this trailer just improved my interest in this game. I like the overworld setup, the way the battle look, the proposed updates to the gameplay, but the fact that this may get a PS4 port in the near future stops me from jumping in.

Top Bottom