• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Zesteria Trailer is up !

I think the PS3 would be the only console this game is going to be released on.

They are already working on a Tales game on the PS4, and this is coming out in less than a month in Japan.

So what is going to happen is they are going to release this in the west ASAP ( I feel May - July ) and then work full power on the next Tales game for the PS4.

The game is still going to sell on the PS3 because it's the main console for the Tales games and they already released many Tales games on it so the fans are already there.

If you are not going to buy this because you are going to wait for a PS4 port, then you are going to let go of what it seems to be an excellent JRPG which need your support as an JRPG fan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tales games would benefit from having some of their shit outsourced to Tri-Ace or something. Like... art assets, textures, etc.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Tales games would benefit from having some of their shit outsourced to Tri-Ace or something. Like... art assets, textures, etc.

Mmmmm Tri-Ace...
830ccf3497.gif

Jolkien

Looks very ordinary. Hopefully for the west they'll launch also on PS4 like Persona 5. I don't wanna plug back my PS3 just for this game.

kewlmyc

I think the PS3 would be the only console this game is going to be released on.

They are already working on a Tales game on the PS4, and this is coming out in less than a month in Japan.

So what is going to happen is they are going to release this in the west ASAP ( I feel May - July ) and then work full power on the next Tales game for the PS4.

The game is still going to sell on the PS3 because it's the main console for the Tales games and they already released many Tales games on it so the fans are already there.

If you are not going to buy this because you are going to wait for a PS4 port, then you are going to let go of what it seems to be an excellent JRPG which need your support as an JRPG fan.

All I've heard is that Baba is surprised by how fast the west embraced the PS4. It's likely that they are, but there's no conformation that they're working on a PS4 game right now.

Plus the fact that every console Tales game since Vesperia has had a enhanced port/sequel with tons of reused assets makes me think that an eventual PS4 port is more likely than you think.

I do agree that people shouldn't just wait for something that may or may not exist.

All I've heard is that Baba is surprised by how fast the west embraced the PS4. It's likely that they are, but there's no conformation that they're working on a PS4 game right now.

Plus the fact that every console Tales game since Vesperia has had a enhanced port/sequel with tons of reused assets makes me think that an eventual PS4 port is more likely than you think.

I do agree that people shouldn't just wait for something that may or may not exist.

Hideo Baba: “We are currently in very early phases for next gen Playstation titles”

http://www.8bitgamer.com/sony/ps3/hideo-baba-currently-early-phases-next-gen-playstation-titles/

That's why I think they are likely going to focus on the next Tales game rather than work on a port.

UberTag

I remember when trailers for JRPGs used to be exciting. Even Trails games.
Most of this is just clips of characters talking to one another in bland, unspiring locations.
Like, who the hell signed off on this?

I need to watch the OP to Suikoden III to get the bad taste out of my mouth now.

Thats because all those Tales' games made their debut on the wrong platform. Tales of Vesperia got an enhanced version for the PS3 port. Tales of Graces f happened due to its appearance on PS3.

Xillia did not get one but instead got a sequel.

LuuKyK

Makes zero sense that they would remaster this to release in 2016 as their first PS4 game. You guys are crazy.

And the game looks good enough for me. On par with Xillia at least. I guess it was to be expected that some people would exaggerate and call this a PS2 game, even though a game like this would never run on such hardware. lol It always happens with late games on older platforms after a gen leap.

tri-Ace created Tales (most of the people that created Tales of Phantasia left Wolf Team to form tri-Ace) and left Namco because they hated working with Namco so much. I do not see them going back to them, especially since one of the founding members of tri-Ace is the President and head of R&D and probably still hates them.

HeeHo

I don't normally get too excited for a new Tales game, but this is one of the big games coming out for me. The combat looks incredible and I like how they added fighting in the exact same spot as the encounter took place. Looks a lot more seamless.

For those of you complaining about the graphics, from what we've seen so far, the game looks huge. I don't know if it's confirmed to have an open world map but those fields are way bigger than any Tales game I've played. I'd rather have a fully rendered 3D world map than the top down stuff we got in Vesperia where your characters are the same size as a town.

This looks pretty ambitious for a Tales game.

kayos90

Because one has a fixed camera and the other doesn't?

EDIT: Listen, if we don't get an enhanced port then we're getting a sequel with reused assets. I understand the Graces and Vesperia ports existed because of the fanbase and whatnot on the PS3. They also did them because they wanted to annualize Tales series. There has been a major release for Tales game every year save 2014 in Japan pretty much. We're getting another Zestiria game in 2016.

Vanille

Take a look at Xillia again...this game looks noticeably better. The environments are also not as repetitive looking.

The environments look fucking terrible. As ugly as Xillia is, it still managed to have a few inspired locations like Kanbalar and Fennmont. Zestiria can't even deliver that, it looks overwhelmingly bland from top to bottom.

Soriku

The enironments look fucking terrible. As ugly as Xillia is, it still managed to have a few inspired locations like Kanbalar and Fennmont. Zestiria can't even deliver that, it looks overwhelming bland from top to bottom.

We haven't taken a good look at Zestiria's towns yet. Xillia's towns were good, but the fields are terrible. The fields in Zestiria are much better.

KH2.5 looks better than this.

KH also has simple geometry and small areas. Many flat faces as well.

I don't normally get too excited for a new Tales game, but this is one of the big games coming out for me. The combat looks incredible and I like how they added fighting in the exact same spot as the encounter took place. Looks a lot more seamless.

For those of you complaining about the graphics, from what we've seen so far, the game looks huge. I don't know if it's confirmed to have an open world map but those fields are way bigger than any Tales game I've played. I'd rather have a fully rendered 3D world map than the top down stuff we got in Vesperia where your characters are the same size as a town.

This looks pretty ambitious for a Tales game.

It says a lot about the Tales series when stuff RPGs have been doing for decades is seen as "ambitious for a Tales game," hahahaha.

Zankou

Looks good enough for me. I'm just glad that they improved their field designs. Xillias field maps were a nightmare.

I am more excited for the battle system and the fusion feature. I think you can do some cool combos with fusing and defusing.

The actual design of the fields and the combat system seem great so far but I'm in the same boat as a lot of people in regards to the graphics. Not a fan of the attempts to add more detail and realism in the last three mainline Tales games. Everything just looks so... drab. I miss the vibrant colors in some of the earlier Tales games from this generation. I also miss the hand-painted environmental textures from Graces and Vesperia (I recall reading an interview where they mentioned Vesperia's textures gave them a headache during development), I'd take them over this more photorealistic stuff.

DR2K

Banned
Game looks like shit visually, every game since Vesperia gets progressively worse in this regard. Gameplay looks fun.

kayos90

Man, which part of the recent Tales look like they're heading towards photorealism? I don't see it.

Baba has stated on numerous occasions that he wanted the franchise to be more realistici visually while maintaining the anime look so he's making people and objects proportioned appropriately.

dramatis

Baba has stated on numerous occasions that he wanted the franchise to be more realistici visually while maintaining the anime look so he's making people and objects proportioned appropriately.
So it's just proportions? Then why does Milla look the way she does lol?

Art-style wise, I don't see where the "photorealism" is. Tales doesn't even come close to that.

Also, you lost pretty much all except for one of your avatar bets, so if you're betting on something the logical assumption is to take the opposite side given your track record.

kayos90

So it's just proportions? Then why does Milla look the way she does lol?

Art-style wise, I don't see where the "photorealism" is. Tales doesn't even come close to that.

Also, you lost pretty much all except for one of your avatar bets, so if you're betting on something the logical assumption is to take the opposite side given your track record.

Yeah... However, the one bet I did win was the Tales bet! On that record I'm 100% =)

Milla is just proportioned very weird... like... I have never seen any woman with those proportions. At all.

kayos90

KH also has simple geometry and small areas. Many flat faces as well.

I'm stating the fact that if Zestiria had lower resolutions it might as well have been a PS2 game. It doesn't look good remotely. The places we've seen all look like hot garbage compared to Xillia 1 and 2.

Man, I really miss the 2D-styled Tales games. I was playing Tales of Eternia not too long ago and it's still such a nice looking game. Zestiria's visuals, outside of the amazing anime cutscenes courtesy of ufotable, look abysmal.

Buuuuuuuut bringing back Go Shiina alone is enough to earn my money. Can't wait for Zesty Tales.

budpikmin

Because one has a fixed camera and the other doesn't?

EDIT: Listen, if we don't get an enhanced port then we're getting a sequel with reused assets. I understand the Graces and Vesperia ports existed because of the fanbase and whatnot on the PS3. They also did them because they wanted to annualize Tales series. There has been a major release for Tales game every year save 2014 in Japan pretty much. We're getting another Zestiria game in 2016.

Vesperia had plenty of zoomed in moments during cutscenes and the environments looked fine from that distance. That's not my main issue though. It's the character models that look loads worse.

Vesperia didn't actually have a lot of texture detail on the characters. It used bold simple colours and a very smooth cel-shaded style. It's far more effective than what we're seeing here. What I don't understand is why they didn't build on that engine? It's not like it doesn't run on ps3.

Top Bottom