• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Zesteria Trailer is up !

3Kaze

I'm stating the fact that if Zestiria had lower resolutions it might as well have been a PS2 game. It doesn't look good remotely. The places we've seen all look like hot garbage compared to Xillia 1 and 2.

qwAV1r2.jpg

Well nothing wrong with looking like a ps2 game when the ps2 tales look like that :p
I guess areas look worse than TOX and TOX2 but fields are open, and the game seems much bigger (yet to be confirmed). Kinda like XIII-2 and LR looking worse than XIII.

Rpgmonkey

If there's a new Tales in 2016 it's probably going to be Fall/Winter 2016 at the earliest, either out of necessity or to slow franchise fatigue they've been moving away from releasing games in the Summer and releasing original games within a year of each other (Xillia 2, if we want to count that as "original", has pretty noticeable reasons why it came out so fast). And I doubt they're going to release nothing in that 20-24 month span.

Whether it's Zestiria PS4 I don't know, but there's almost surely some kind of filler planned for that gap, whether it's Zestiria PS4, Zestiria 2, or an HD port of Abyss or Vesperia or whatever.

And in terms of visuals I don't feel like Vesperia is really doing anything more advanced than Zestiria, I actually think the animation and scene direction makes it looks really awkward in places, but it earns a lot of points for its consistency and simple but pleasant cel-shading. Don't feel the games from Xillia onward have matched that yet.

Paracelsus

Vesperia masterfully hides the technical shortcomings behind celshading, the thing is why doesn't Namco just go the Naruto way with all of their games? It looks good, do it.

Tommy DJ

The main problem with this current batch of Tales games has to do with art direction and lack of consistency. Like its a huge problem in Tales of Xillia. For instance, you might have a scene with pretty fluid animation that immediately transistions into a scene with amazingly stilted and recycled animation. It just makes these sort of problems dead obvious.

From the trailer, this is still a major problem for me. There are parts of that trailer that look and animate perfectly fine but then that awful grass texture and that looped weightless running animation has you asking "huh there's something wrong here".

Datschge

(...) but I actually think that Namco wants to make Tales an annual franchise (...)
Tales already was an annual franchise from 2002 to 2006, slowed down with last gen (as Vesperia took longer) which is when they started doing the director's cut/ports/reused assets sequels as filler re-releases.

Lots of people in this thread have not swiched on their ps2 in a long time.

I actually have. Valkyrie Profile 2 looks more impressive than Zesteria does, other than the obvious resolution bump and such.

The environments are amazingly bad in Zestiria. Character models look with the times for sure, but the body proportions are creepy as fuck.

HeeHo

It says a lot about the Tales series when stuff RPGs have been doing for decades is seen as "ambitious for a Tales game," hahahaha.
jRPGs? No. More like they used to do world maps decades ago and they weren't fully 3D. The last jRPG with a fully 3D world map that I played was DQVIII (or Dragon's Dogma, if it counts), and it was awesome for that fact alone. It's actually a rare thing for this genre so I don't think your as on the money about your assessment as you'd think.

It is ambitious considering how the combat is animated and executed. This isn't the first-person arm-swinger, Skyrim, after all. I just think that this looks like loads of fun compared to other more open games like this.

jRPGs? No. More like they used to do world maps decades ago and they weren't fully 3D. The last jRPG with a fully 3D world map that I played was DQVIII (or Dragon's Dogma, if it counts), and it was awesome for that fact alone. It's actually a rare thing for this genre so I don't think your as on the money about your assessment as you'd think.

It is ambitious considering how the combat is animated and executed. This isn't the first-person arm-swinger, Skyrim, after all. I just think that this looks like loads of fun compared to other more open games like this.

There have been JRPGs without traditional world maps for almost as long as there have been JRPGs with traditional world maps.

Falk

that puzzling face
Vesperia masterfully hides the technical shortcomings behind celshading, the thing is why doesn't Namco just go the Naruto way with all of their games? It looks good, do it.

Valkyria Chronicles art style in a Tales game

yes pls

It's finally getting one in next February: http://vgmdb.net/album/50001

I know, although I can't say more about that at this point

Probably should have said "yet".

Dantis

How is it that the characters in Tales games still look worse than Catherine?

persona-team-readying-first-hd-title-catherine-20100819094928360-3288932.jpg

I'm pretty sure Namco's budget smashes Atlus'.

wmlk

Catherine is incredibly constrained compared to Zestiria. That should be pretty obvious.

I'm still not excusing how Tales has actually regressed in graphics for each entry.

kewlmyc

One's a puzzle game with only a few set pieces and fixed camera angles, while Xillia and Zestiria are big RPGs with multiple characters, monsters, towns, dungeons, fields and a free camera.

Comparing them is silly.

Dunkley

Although I appreciate that it looks to have better AA than previous Tales output on PS3, I am REALLY burned out on this art-style by now, and even though I think this isn't gonna be bad by any means, I can't feel any enthusiasm for something that looks so alike to Xillia 1/2 and doesn't seem to have a majorly groundbreaking story to make up for it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Heh, yeah, every time people bring up how incredibly detailed Vincent's room is, I'm all "Duh? that's one of like two locales in the game"

Some Nobody

Although I appreciate that it looks to have better AA than previous Tales output on PS3, I am REALLY burned out on this art-style by now, and even though I think this isn't gonna be bad by any means, I can't feel any enthusiasm for something that looks so alike to Xillia 1/2 and doesn't seem to have a majorly groundbreaking story to make up for it.

Agreed. Gonna sit this out and hope whatever they do for PS4 sets the Tales series apart from the PS3 era.

Synless

*If* they release the game on ps4, the thing I want worked in the most is the draw distance and pop-in that has been present in the field footage, easily the thing that stands out the most. Also, 60fps if possible.

Thorgal

*If* they release the game on ps4, the thing I want worked in the most is the draw distance and pop-in that has been present in the field footage, easily the thing that stands out the most. Also, 60fps if possible.

I thought every tales game save Tales of Symphonia on PS2 ran at 60 FPS at least in battle's ?

Bladenic

Fields def look way in Zesty. However, based on footage, battle effects look better in Xillia/2 to me. But I will wait for the full game to judge that. Vesperia and Graces had gorgeous effects in battle too.

Mifec

So I just watched the OVA and those who are worried about Sorey

He is kinda like a more laid back Flynn from Vesperia, he is the nicest guy in the world but with zero angst, he is cheerful, likes to help people and well never saw another human since he grew up with the seraph/tenzoku. Pretty generic main char guy, but in a good way

Also about the weird looking enemy guy that in the OP trailer fights Sorey, had a few screens released that made his face look hilarious

His face looks normal most of the time, looks like a human with fox features(no fur) even his hair resembles the tails of a fox. He is pretty creepy and his Japanese VA did his role good. There was a mega creepy part where he straight up swallowed a whole body like a snake.

Alisha had a really nice VA and Mikelo is really kind.

3Kaze

So I just watched the OVA and those who are worried about Sorey

He is kinda like a more laid back Flynn from Vesperia, he is the nicest guy in the world but with zero angst, he is cheerful, likes to help people and well never saw another human since he grew up with the seraph/tenzoku. Pretty generic main char guy, but in a good way

Also about the weird looking enemy guy that in the OP trailer fights Sorey, had a few screens released that made his face look hilarious

His face looks normal most of the time, looks like a human with fox features(no fur) even his hair resembles the tails of a fox. He is pretty creepy and his Japanese VA did his role good. There was a mega creepy part where he straight up swallowed a whole body like a snake.

Alisha had a really nice VA and Mikelo is really kind.

That special episode was alright. Making a 45 min preview feels like a waste of money when the game will cover these events again though. As for the story, it's really generic even by Tales standards with evil, legends, and sacred sword but I don't mind. And yeah, Sorey doesn't seem so bad for that kind of character.

Mifec

That special episode was alright. Making a 45 min preview feels like a waste of money when the game will cover these events again though. As for the story, it's really generic even by Tales standards with evil, legends, and sacred sword but I don't mind. And yeah, Sorey doesn't seem so bad for that kind of character.

I kinda rolled my eyes when they mentioned Asgard Age and Lady Lake being a city with a legend of a sacred sword. Now we are only missing German names to have the trifecta of what Japanese devs like to awkwardly include into their JRPG's.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I liked the characters on the OVA and the hyoma was creepy. I wish they actually make a movie if the story is good in the game cause the OVA showed potential.

Xenoflare

I feel that this game is not really a step forward from Xillia in terms of presentation.

Also not feeling it for the cast. I liked Xillia's cast and even more after their return in 2.

Ryuuga

Banned
I liked the characters on the OVA and the hyoma was creepy. I wish they actually make a movie if the story is good in the game cause the OVA showed potential.

I'm still bothered that they overlooked a villager being eaten, then proceeded to put on a lightshow.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm having a hard time believing a system with as much juice as the PS4 can't push 60fps for a Tales game. Any Tales game.

(Then again Symphonia on PS3 at 30 augahgjfjf)

Aeana

I'm having a hard time believing a system with as much juice as the PS4 can't push 60fps for a Tales game. Any Tales game.

(Then again Symphonia on PS3 at 30 augahgjfjf)

That's just because it was a port of the PS2 version, though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Which really goes back to how Japanese developers don't really put any emphasis on scalability into engines, with essentially one target framerate*/resolution. Which in turn stems partially from no PC presence, meaning it's kind of an extravagant luxury.

*In a perfect world, we'd stop tying game logic to framerates. So much odd behavior in e.g. DS2 and Valkyria Chronicles stemming from this.

Another more recent example being FFXIII PC ports having bizarre issues pushing past 30 that's largely unrelated to system specs and a lot to do with the battle UI display.

Mifec

Which really goes back to how Japanese developers don't really put any emphasis on scalability into engines, with essentially one target framerate*/resolution. Which in turn stems partially from no PC presence, meaning it's kind of an extravagant luxury.

*In a perfect world, we'd stop tying game logic to framerates. So much odd behavior in e.g. DS2 and Valkyria Chronicles stemming from this.

Another more recent example being FFXIII PC ports having bizarre issues pushing past 30 that's largely unrelated to system specs and a lot to do with the battle UI display.

Actually the most recent example would be Ground Zeroes PC which is close to a perfect port and it has a 30/60 option.

Frankly?
Story trailer looks nice..
Music solid as always, plus i like both sakuraba and shiina so a game with both? Sold!
I'm waiting some bs trailer to gauge if they went tox2 (though i hope they flesh out weapon switching better and let all char do at least a basic weapon switch) route, regressed to togf (sort of regressed, since i liked togf bs a LOT), or they went and changed the bs yet again...

Durante

Couldnt you have pushed any other newer thread? It's also old news and has already been posted today or yesterday...

He could, but then again this was kind of amusing to read:

Namco isn't going to make any platform or porting decisions based off of the meager western sales. We'll get the PS3 version in the west next year and that's it. You should just wait for the inevitable japanese Tales of Zesteria DX port for PS4 in 2016.

I don't think this happened for the Japanese market ;)

Top Bottom