• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation - better than the reviews indicate?

I'm asking from the viewpoint of a prospective buyer. I haven't played the game. But its been in my periphery for a while now and I had a sense that many people here loved it but mainstream review sites had other opinions.

I read IGN and Gamespot's middling reviews and they seem to share the idea that the scary parts are amazing, but its padded out with too many boring bits in between and just goes on too long. But I wanted to hear more views before I explore getting this on the PSN sale or not.

Levito

Banned
It's a niche game, if you have no patience and hate feeling disempowered, you'll probably hate the game. The developers promised an uncompromising survival horror game that took inspiration solely from the original movie, and that's exactly what it ended up being. Some reviews claimed the game was too hard and unforgiving but I wholeheartedly disagree. Alien Isolation is tough but fair, it takes cues from old cat and mouse style games like Clock Tower or Haunting Ground but is much more well designed than either of those.

It's an incredibly well thought out game, but it's certainly not for everyone.

I'm only on Chapter 5 and I think there's 15-18 or so. It's easily a 9+ game for me right now, but IIRC a lot of complaints came from after you get late in the game. So I can't say for sure.

Toxi

Banned
There are middling reviews and good reviews, just like for most other pieces of entertainment. Realize that before making a conclusion based on the reviews.

Dediner

Neo Member
It's a niche game, if you have no patience and hate feeling disempowered, you'll probably hate the game. The developers promised an uncompromising survival horror game that took inspiration solely from the original movie, and that's exactly what it ended up being. Some reviews claimed the game was too hard and unforgiving but I wholeheartedly disagree. Alien Isolation is tough but fair, it takes cues from old cat and mouse style games like Clock Tower or Haunting Ground but is much more well designed than either of those.

Pretty much this. You Sir, saved me some time during a busy day by making this post before me. I think I love you.

The game's atmosphere is beyond fuckin' fantastic. I got immersed. Wait for it to be cheap(er) and go for it. At the very least you will get ~ 15 hours of play-time from it. 7ish of those hours are amazing, guaranteed!

Vorheez

I absolutely adore this game. I'm a sucker for games with great atmosphere and very few rival this one, it really does take you back. I remember reading one review for the game that said it "will make you feel more alive than a video game has in years" and that could not be more accurate. The level of immersion is insane.

That being said, the game is very stressful to play and I can only sit down with it for roughly 2-3 hours at a time before I have to turn it off. So, if you get scared/stressed easily then pass on it.

Easy 9/10 from me.

saunderez

It's pretty great. I'm not even a huge Alien fan but the level of immersion and tension is hard to beat. Games and movies never scare me so I rely on tension to remain on edge and thus game delivers in spades.

PaRappa

For someone who hated Outlasts repetitive mechanics and zero visibility, can anyone recommend this game? How does it compare?

Very accurate breakdown. As a fan of the original Alien movie i was thrilled by Isolation. It's the perfect recreation of the first movie vibe.

Speaking of downsides (for some): someone can decide that the game is TOO FREAKING LONG. 17-19 hours. In fact it is a bit slow, but not dramatically. Take it with small portions 2-3 hours a day during the holidays, should be the perfect experience then.

Smash88

Banned
For someone who hated Outlasts repetitive mechanics and zero visibility, can anyone recommend this game? How does it compare?

You probably won't like it. It gets somewhat tedious, and the Alien A.I. can at times be dumb, but the atmosphere and when the Alien is on point it is an amazing game. I can't say for certain, based on your tastes, because I (We) don't know you. Take a chance? I mean the game overall is fantastic.

Maybe watch a let's play video to see if it fits your criteria as well?

It's scary, well at first anyway after you encounter the alien the first few times you kinda get used to it, my problem with th e game was in the latter half the alien kept spawning repeatedly and I'd have huge sections where I just had to wait the damn thing out and at that point the game went from being scary to the alien actively hindering my progression of the game rather than adding to it

The alien actually annoyed me as a result

It's basically a cat and mouse game. It does a really good job of making you feel like prey to the Alien as you can never kill it, only deal with it temporarily. Plus the atmosphere and suspense are one of the best I had experienced in a long time.

It's also my GOTY =D

I've never been too much into Alien, but I came somewhat interested in this game. Is it comparable to something like ZombiU by chance? (survival, first person, very few ammo, hard as nails)

GratefulPartialKookaburra.gif

iLJmsUOG0l8DJ.gif

Play it, no question. It's been on many's GOTY lists and honestly the IGN review is a joke. That IGN review has been a derail before though, so I won't get into its problems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would have gauged the response from critics as positive, so *shrug*. I guess it was, in a sense, "mixed". But I see that as a very good thing for any somewhat niche game; if it appeals to literally everyone it's probably missing something, the fabled "soul".

Levito described it very well in that Isolation is uncompromising in its commitment to stealth, survival horror gameplay. It really embraces the concept of "survival horror" in how it strips the player of any sense of power and places them in tense scenarios where the objective is almost always to escape rather than confront. I do love how committed the entire game is to this idea, right down to the checkpoint save stations requiring you go up and manually "activate" the saving system. The design as a whole, in that respect, is very thorough.

Stylistically and presentation wise it's probably one of the best games of this year. The vision is comprehensive from top to bottom, in play design and menus to simply the flashy graphics and ambient audio. It's instantly immersing and convincing, and even though they were working with a hefty load of reference material I think the art and audio teams deserve a lot of praise.

I did have some issues with obvious Alien AI rubber banding and the way the narrative presents itself, but those will be subjective criticism.

In the end it'll come down to how much patience you have and what kind of survival horror you like. If you enjoy feeling empowered yet overrun, like Resident Evil 4 or past Alien franchise games (EG: Alien Vs Predator), you might feel a bit frustrated. If you don't mind slow burn presentation and play that requires attention and patience I think you'll love it.

It's easily one of my favourite games of the year. I'm just surprised CA and Sega were willing to fund an Alien franchise game committed to the style and vision of the first film over the second, and managed to deliver on the premise with design and production values.

sappyday

I can't finish it because I'm a huge wimp but the atmosphere is oozing and from what I've played it gathered all the right elements from the first movie.

SerTapTap

I've never been too much into Alien, but I came somewhat interested in this game. Is it comparable to something like ZombiU by chance? (survival, first person, very few ammo, hard as nails)
I think it's more like outlast. You can kill everything in zombiu no problem

nictron

I just barely started it but it feels like bioshock and old school resident evil adopted an alien game.

I love these things and it's scaring the hell out of me.

9 out of 5

Altima

I'm still waiting for a mod that change the alien to pretty unicorn so I can play it without peeing my pants.

kamandi

A great game actually. But like everyone else said, it is way too long. I changed the difficulty to easy through the halfway. Because at one point, you got exposed to alien too much, it becomes an annoyance. Well, the good thing is, game itself has absolutely great atmosphere and great hollywood style moments, lovely retro scifi elements. Overall, i enjoyed the game so much, and i am glad i paid full price. Just the last few hours was a pain in the ass.

Jobbs

Banned
Alien Isolation got "Zombi U"-d pretty bad by reviews at large. It's a fantastic game; Novel, intense, dynamic. The most effective horror game ever made due to the non-scripted nature of its scares. It does something new and it does it very, very well. Not often can you say that about a game.

The most immersive game ever made and my personal GOTY (PCgamer also named it GOTY, btw).

Whenever you have a game that goes a bit outside the norm -- Especially if it is a challenging game, as Alien Isolation is -- it'll get mixed reviews. Professional game reviewers are busy juggling deadlines and they play lots of games and whenever they can't easliy put something into a neat category that they're already comfortable with, things could go either way. Some of the reasoning in some of the negative reviews was downright hilarious. IGN comes to mind.

EGM1966

If you mean metacritic average then yes it's better than that: if you're looking for the experience it provides. The majority of reviews were in fact very positive to solid, IGN and a small number of low reviews skewed the average.

But it is worth considering what the game actually is, which is a survival simulator that is unforgiving and about trying to create and maintain the same sense of constant dread tension as Alien.

It mostly success.

Read Jim Sterling review and decide how it sounds from that.

For me its one of the best experiences in years, way ahead of TEW or Outlast in creating a level of tension and dread and at the higher difficulty levels challenging you to take risks, use your wits and survive at all costs.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Not sure which platform you're looking at but on Xbox One it looks amazing, sounds even better and is completely absorbing.

I'm not an amazing player by any stretch of the imagination and while there's a lot of wonder to be experienced just by passing through the wonderfully crafted environments, this game should be played on Hard, expect tension and stress and avoid spoilers. This game is an experience, go on the journey.

No idea which game the big sites who gave poor scores were reviewing but it wasn't the game I played. I don't tend to like stealth or horror games much but I loved Alien Isolation. I played Titanfall the most this year but for me it's a toss up between these two games as to which game is 2014's "best".

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The only problem I have with the game is the facial expressions. God damn they are absolutely horrible, in a way it kills the immersion :(

You're goddamm right it's better than the reviews. Couldn't believe the score IGN gave it. I am a big fan of the Alien franchise though, and I did go in with low expectations and for me it's my game of the year. Everything about it is almost perfect in my opinion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its a good weekend rental OP. The game's single player, you can easily beat it in 8~ hours. its good for one play through, you should at least experience it once.

axb2013

I'm asking from the viewpoint of a prospective buyer. I haven't played the game. But its been in my periphery for a while now and I had a sense that many people here loved it but mainstream review sites had other opinions.

I read IGN and Gamespot's middling reviews and they seem to share the idea that the scary parts are amazing, but its padded out with too many boring bits in between and just goes on too long. But I wanted to hear more views before I explore getting this on the PSN sale or not.

My GOTY of 2014 and IMO best movie to game conversion ever. Let yourself get immersed, dark room and headphones on.

It really embraces the concept of "survival horror" in how it strips the player of any sense of power and places them in tense scenarios where the objective is almost always to escape rather than confront.
That right there is the reason why it got the 5.9 scores. Along with poor gaming discipline (rushing through the game) that was enough to kill the hype it objectively deserves.

tioslash

In my opinion, it´s a brilliant game. Enjoyed the
very long
ride.My GOTY by far, and certainly in my top5 of all time.

The game is fantastic. I can't really imagine how you could make a better use of the Alien license in a game. The game is so tense that when I was playing with headphones I was actually avoiding making sounds in real life.
My only gripe is that the game is a bit too long for its own good. It just nailed everything, the atmosphere, the gameplay, visuals are superb and couldn't possibly be more faithful to the movies and the soundtrack is amazing and does an incredible job of enhancing the tension even further.

Its a good weekend rental OP. The game's single player, you can easily beat it in 8~ hours. its good for one play through, you should at least experience it once.

This is absolutely not true. It took me 18 hours and I just checked HLTB and that's precisely the average completion time they have as well.

jg4xchamp

Depends on which review you are speaking of, my understanding was that it received mostly positive buzz. Frankly it's a well made game with some kick ass atmosphere and tension, but the 2nd half of that game is lousy from a pacing standpoint. First the game is way too long both from a plot standpoint (its a retread of the original Alien film, except that film wasn't 15+ hours, so naturally it ended in a reasonable manner), and just from a gameplay standpoint. They ran out of ideas way long ago, and the stretch where the Alien takes a break while you fight androids and humans fucking sucks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
One of my favorite games of the year. The loving recreation of the world was soooo good. Atmosphere, lighting, mood, sound, the presentation was just too notch (glad I didn't play it until that cut scene stutter was patched)

One criticism I will agree on is the game length. This game did not need that last 1/4 of the game. Game should have ended
shortly after the message pay off . instead it turned into a fetch quest. All the action from that point on almost seemed like they were trying to shoehorn aliens into what had up to that point been all about alien. all it was missing was a power loader battle

This and evil within were definitely my two favorite games that I played in fall so far. Still have Mordor, gtav, and dai to go though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably not going to get around to writing a list this year, but Alien is certainly up there.

It's a really good game, it just needed an editor to come in and shape the level selection into something a little leaner, with perhaps a touch more variety. The core mechanics and atmosphere are spot-on, but the pacing is a real buzzkill. After a dozen hours the intensity kind of wears off and then you find out you still have quite a ways to go.

A horror game should never let you get used to it, but that's exactly what happens with Alien Isolation. Still worth playing for sure!

kamandi

One of my favorite games of the year. The loving recreation of the world was soooo good. Atmosphere, lighting, mood, sound, the presentation was just too notch (glad I didn't play it until that cut scene stutter was patched)

One criticism I will agree on is the game length. This game did not need that last 1/4 of the game. Game should have ended
shortly after the message pay off . instead it turned into a fetch quest. All the action from that point on almost seemed like they were trying to shoehorn aliens into what had up to that point been all about alien. all it was missing was a power loader battle

This and evil within were definitely my two favorite games that I played in fall so far. Still have Mordor, gtav, and dai to go though.

That stutter got patched? Damn, seems like i finished it before the patch.

RedAssedApe

Banned

8 hrs? Were you trying a speed run or something? :p I'd say your average person would take double that. Length is one of the main criticisms of the game I constantly see. Needed a good edit.

Arkanius

GOTY for me
Absolutely fantastic, superb game.
The only con I believe is some pacing after mid game, but looking back, I find that section brilliant

My GOTY
They reinveted the wheel aka the stealth game as genre. Is not anymore a matter of timing, but you need to be always aware of your sorrounding. And this is one of the few games where the sound is also part of the gameplay.

Review was harsh only in US and I don't know why

RedAssedApe

Banned
did the game sell well? I'd be bummed if we didn't get another. Especially based on the ending.

Also if there is a sequel let me climb over things. It's silly that I have to walk around things waist high heh.

Top Bottom