• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Age of Ultron vs The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Which movie do you think will make the most money?

Which movie do you think will be the better film?

If they were both released on the same day, which would you go see first?

Do you think there is any other 2015 film that will remotely come close to the money these will make? Or maybe even a video game?

Which are you more excited about being in Kingdom Hearts?

Well, I guess the real winner is Disney.

BLACKLAC

Age of Ultron

Do you think there is any other 2015 film that will remotely come close to the money these will make? Or maybe even a video game?

Obvious answer. Not a chance in hell.

v1lla21

1. Avengers.
2. Star Wars.
3. Star Wars.
4. Nope
5. Star Wars.

Star wars has more hype at this point but Avengers draws a bigger audience.

I think Avengers will make more and be better.

For the KH question it's Star Wars for sure. They might actually be able to get Mark Hamill to be a voice.

J10

Banned
I'm wondering if any residual bad feelings from the last Star Wars trilogy will hinder it versus all the positive sentiment carrying the Marvel brand right now.

Ein Bear

Money-wise, has to be Star Wars. The hype for all the OT-elements should easily offset any damage the prequels did to the brand. The first photo we get of Harrison Ford in-costume as Han Solo will erase the entire PT from everyone's minds.

Marvel's big, but Star Wars is fucking Star Wars.

Enthus

I hope Star Wars. Asia is obsessed with both franchises, but this will be Star Wars' first opening with the massive Chinese market that has developed in the past decade. Whoever loses, though, Disney still wins.

Malyse

I think Avengers will make more and be better.

For the KH question it's Star Wars for sure. They might actually be able to get Mark Hamill to be a voice.

He already is one.

Eraqus.png

Star Wars will win both quality and money wise. Ultron will be a really awesome movie but Star Wars will fucking flatline it.

Cartman86

Banned
Total guess but Star Wars will make the most (split across two years) and will be the better film. Everything about that film feels fresh. Avengers will do great and will probably be great too, but it won't be as new for people. That doesn't matter for box office worldwide too much, but I think we are talking about two huge fucking films. I wouldn't be surprised if Avengers 2 didn't break the first ones records and then Star Wars comes along and breaks that one.

FairyD

Maybe, but it doesn't come out for another 12 months. But 12 months is a long time for the hype train to come into town.

NYR

AoU, and quite easily.

Star Wars is immensely popular, but it isn't guaranteed box office gold around the world. In fact, they actually don't perform that well, only a single Star Wars ever crossed a billion worldwide or 400 mill domestic and that was Episode 1, for obvious reasons, the hype was un-real.

If you look at the top of the box office of all time, 30% is domestic, 70% worldwide. For almost all the Star Wars movies, it is much closer to being close to 50-50.

Avengers has worldwide mass appeal, Star Wars doesn't, if you look at box office numbers.

sappyday

Box-Office: Age of Ultron - The appeal is more broad and Marvel is the biggest thing right now.
Reception: Age of Ultron - Star Wars is still a JJ film so chances are the reception could be in the 70's (however no where near rotten). I think there is a big chance that it could end up like another Man of Steel.
Released on same day: Star Wars - It's Star Wars and it's an event for nerds like me. Age of Ultron will be amazing no doubt but I'll be able to watch it on Netflix as though it was the same as watching it in the theaters.
Something making the same amount of money: Maybe Fast 7 - Fast 7 is big and with Paul Walker's death the movie might be the biggest of them yet.
Kingdom Hearts: None

Star Wars isn't that popular with overseas audiences. I doubt the movie will pass $1b ww, and if it does it won't be by much. Avengers will crush it.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Wars for money. My parents are planning on camping out with me for the premiere.

As to quality, that's really up in the air. I expect them both to be really good but I can see Avengers 2 being a disappointment, not so much bad.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think Star Wars will beat the Avengers at the box office, since it's goddamn Star Wars. But Avengers will be the better movie. And I'm more interested in Avengers, so I'd watch that one first and then inmediately go watch Star Wars

watershed

Banned
I think Star Wars will be the better movie and make more money though I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong about the money.

Oersted

Star Wars. Not a contest.

Not the slightest idea.

Star Wars probably.

Nope.

Not excited for Kingdom Hearts.

Obviously.

AoU, and quite easily.

Star Wars is immensely popular, but it isn't guaranteed box office gold around the world. In fact, they actually don't perform that well, only a single Star Wars ever crossed a billion worldwide or 400 mill domestic and that was Episode 1, for obvious reasons, the hype was un-real.

If you look at the top of the box office of all time, 30% is domestic, 70% worldwide. For almost all the Star Wars movies, it is much closer to being close to 50-50.

Avengers has worldwide mass appeal, Star Wars doesn't, if you look at box office numbers.

Eh. China wasn't such a big market when Star Wars came out. Its still the biggest movie franchise on the planet.

I'll say Star Wars. I hope it'll be better and will make more money. I'd also go see it before Age of Ultron. In fact, I may just wait for Age of Ultron to hit The Movie Network.

There are way too many effing superhero movies. Enough is enough.

Pretty big Avengers stan and don't see what the big deal is with Star Wars...but I think VII will take it for money. I don't "get" SW but apparently everyone else does. Would be okay with being wrong on this (or right, for that matter).

Marvel has yet to really give me a huge letdown for loud popcorn stuff, so the track record helps me lean easily to them having the more enjoyable/better flick for me personally.

Would go see AOU a couple times, then SW, then AOU some more.

Cheebo

Banned
Star Wars DOUBLED the teaser views Avengers Age of Ultron got. Think about that for a second.

This one is easy.

AoU, and quite easily.

You do realize the overseas box-office has completely changed in the 10 years since Episode III right? 50-50 was the norm then. It blew up since then.

Also every single Star Wars movie did over 400 mil with the adjusted for inflation numbers. Ticket prices have gone up dramatically these past 10 years.

You can't compare 1999-2005 box-office to 2012-2014 boxoffice. Things grew dramatically after Avatar came out.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm gonna say Avengers for both. The original is basically my favorite set piece blockbuster ever. Also it did better than Episode III at the box office by a wide margin and the Marvel brand has just been getting bigger and bigger.

For the other questions:
-If they both release on the same day (they won't obviously) then I'd go to some theater that does back-to-back showings at midnight
-None will come close
-More excited for Star Wars in KH because of lightsabers

NYR

I think Star Wars will beat the Avengers at the box office, since it's goddamn Star Wars.
Avengers is the 3rd highest grossing movie of ALL TIME. The closet Stars Wars movie is...#16 (Episode I). After that, it tanks to #38 (Episode III).

Avengers is the 3rd highest grossing movie of ALL TIME. The closet Stars Wars movie is...#16 (Episode I). After that, it tanks to #38 (Episode III).

Yeah people are really over estimating Star Wars appeal and hype.

We will get another crow eating session thanks to Avengers I guess.

120v

i'm a little bullish on star wars. i don't know if it'll be an event like phantom menace was... sure it'll be crazy successful but i think people are a little to quick to assume it'll nuke the box office out of orbit

NYR

Star Wars DOUBLED the teaser views Avengers Age of Ultron got. Think about that for a second.

This one is easy.

Are we using HYPE as an indicator now? Avengers came out just a couple of years ago, we know what to expect. Star Wars is completely brand new, everyone is interested what it would look like. Of course more people would look at something not knowing what to expect versus something we know what to expect and are comfortable with since it came out just a few years ago.

Bloomers

Which movie do you think will make the most money?

Which movie do you think will be the better film?

If they were both released on the same day, which would you go see first?

Which are you more excited about being in Kingdom Hearts?

Well, I guess the real winner is Disney.

Money: Star Wars. However...
Better film: Avengers. Marvel's on a roll. I have no idea what to expect from the SW producers.
See First: Avengers I've been a fan of both brands just as long, but I'm way to skeptical and feel much less attached to Star Wars at this point
Competition: none. I'm 99.999% sure these two will dominate the box office w/ over $1.5 bil apiece. No idea about games though
Spoiler Q: Star Wars easily

Cheebo

Banned
Are we using HYPE as an indicator now? Avengers came out just a couple of years ago, we know what to expect. Star Wars is completely brand new, everyone is interested what it would look like. Of course more people would look at something not knowing what to expect versus something we know what to expect and are comfortable with since it came out just a few years ago.

Hype is very important to boxoffice. Look what it did for Episode I.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AoU, and quite easily.

If you throw Phantom Menace and Avengers in an inflation calculator. The difference isn't that much, less than 200mil.

All the Star Wars films also had to rely on domestic more since Worldwide wasn't as developed. The Worldwide market really boomed between 2008/2009. With Countries like China leading the way. The game has drastically changed. Before Avatar, you had 3 other billion dollar films. They've added on an additional 15 or so, with a few being releases to push them just above.

Basically a hell of a lot has changed since 2005.

Jarmel

Banned

You know adjusted for inflation Star Wars is on top right?

Note that those numbers don't include 3D and garbage like that. Star Wars is a much bigger franchise than Avengers.

Check the numbers adjusted for inflation. Avengers is #27 all-time and there are four Star Wars films above it.

Avengers by a hair, and only really due to it having summer weekdays instead of the December release. Both should open to 200 million weekends.

I also think they will both be awesome but Avengers will be better.

Hunger Games part 4 will make bank, but not like these two.

I don't play Kingdom Hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom