• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Age of Ultron vs The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know that Rises made more than Knight, right?

Speaking broadly in terms of over/underperforming. TDK drastically overperformed expectations and coasted on hype and great word of mouth.

Rises on the other hand fell short of a lot of expectations and the hype and word of mouth just weren't there.

You have to also consider other factors like Avengers is a summer blockbuster, and there are around 20 of those and like 6-7 of them appeal to the same audiences. There are about to be some lap between movie releases. On the other hand SW is a coming out on holidays, and the only movie I can remember with a little lap in audience viewing is Spectre.

Force Awakens.

Star Wars transcends your typical sci-fi audience.
There is a little a sci-fi movie that is called Avatar that trancended and smashed BO WW.

AniHawk

while the prequel trilogy obviously does star wars no favors, i think that a sequel to the original trilogy will pull a lot of people back in. han solo and luke skywalker again after thirty years? it's going to be an event. avengers 2 will also do really well, but i don't know if it'll have the same feel as the original.

Malyse

lol

I'd be shocked if Avengers does make more than the original.

I've never made an avatar bet, but I would over Ultron making more than Avengers. You could not possibly be more off base on that. Sequels generally make money based on the reception of the previous film and people fucking love the MCU.

Akahige

Star Wars to all, except Kingdom Hearts, I doubt any Star Wars output from here on out will be anything but Canon.

Very surprised to see so many people picking Avengers to make more money. Star Wars will win, and it will win big. They are both mega franchises but Star Wars transcends pop culture in a way Avengers does not.

BLACKLAC

Avengers took down Batman in impressive fashion. Iron Man smacked Superman around. Now it's Star Wars turn to feel them lumps.

neoanarch

Very surprised to see so many people picking Avengers to make more money. Star Wars will win, and it will win big. They are both mega franchises but Star Wars transcends pop culture in a way Avengers does not.
In terms of cultural transcendence the MCU is what Star Wars used to be but not anymore. Not to mention Marvel itself has been a pop culture mainstay for decades longer than SW.

A2 will make more money and be the better film. I still trust Whedon to make a better movie than JJ.

Malyse

Marvel literally changed the way movies are being made. That's a pretty damn big cultural impact.

Marvel literally changed the way movies are being made.

How so? Warner is rushing to make a cinematic universe out of DC, that's about the only real impact I see from what Marvel has done outside of Aykroyd saying dumb shit about Ghostbusters and Sony's sad attempt to do something with a Spider-Man universe, neither of which have or will amount to shit.

bill0527

Not to mention Marvel itself has been a pop culture mainstay for decades longer than SW.

What? Wasn't Marvel on the verge of bankruptcy like 15 years ago? Nobody gave a shit about Marvel and they damn near didn't survive as a company until they started selling off movie rights to their characters and then getting into the move business themselves.

freddy

Banned
Which movie do you think will be the better film? Star Wars.

If they were both released on the same day, which would you go see first?
I'll go see Star Wars at some point. Avengers only if my kids ask(force) me to go. Haven't seen the first one yet.

Which are you more excited about being in Kingdom Hearts? 😐 I'm out.

Malyse

How so? Warner is rushing to make a cinematic universe out of DC, that's about the only real impact I see from what Marvel has done outside of Aykroyd saying dumb shit about Ghostbusters and Sony's sad attempt to do something with a Spider-Man universe, neither of which have or will amount to shit.
And Universal's monster universe. Literally every major studio is trying to make an interconnected universe now.

And Universal's monster universe. Literally every major studio is trying to make an interconnected universe now.

LOL, I forgot about that sad shit. I'm going to guess those plans have already fizzled out with Dracula's under-performance. But, that's still 2.5 things they've influenced. Warner's mad dash with a DC Universe, Universal falling on their face at the starting line with a monster universe, and Dan Aykroyd saying some shit about something he no longer has any influence or control over.

numble

Not true. Here are the top 5 plus Star Wars for every year it came out. I added more data for 1999 to prove it wasn't 50/50, even back then. Highlighted is when it is greater than 59% for worldwide box office total.

1999:
1 Star Wars: Episode I - 43.8%/56.2%
2 The Sixth Sense - 43.6%/56.4%
3 Toy Story 2 - 50.7%/49.3%
4 The Matrix - 37.0%/63.0%
5 Tarzan - 38.2%/61.8%
6 The Mummy - 37.4%/62.6%
7 Notting Hill - 31.9%/68.1%
8 The World Is Not Enough - 35.1%/64.9%
9 American Beauty - 36.5%/63.5%

2002:
1 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 36.8%/63.2%
2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 29.8%/70.2%
3 Spider-Man - 49.1%/50.9%
4 Star Wars: Episode II - 47.2%/52.8%
5 Men in Black II - 43.1%/56.9%
6 Die Another Day - 37.3%/62.7%

2005:
1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 32.3%/67.7%
2 Star Wars: Episode III - 44.8%/55.2%
3 The Chronicles of Narnia - 39.2%/60.8%
4 War of the Worlds - 39.6%/60.4%
5 King Kong- 39.6%/60.4%
6 Madagascar - 36.3%/63.7%

There are only 2 movies with international grosses comprising 65% or more on your list.

2014: 3 out of the top 5 (7/10, 12/20) movies have international grosses above 65%.
2013: 3 out of the top 5 (5/10, 12/20) movies have international grosses above 65%.
2012: 3 out of the top 5 (6/10, 10/20) movies have international grosses above 65%.
2011: 4 out of the top 5 (8/10, 13/20) movies have international grosses above 65%.

Do you disagree that the international box office has blown up in recent years?

Another DreamDrop thread! >:[

1. Star Wars
2. Star Wars
3. Star Wars
4. No
5. Never played Kingdom Hearts

I like Avengers, but we've already had one. People have been clamouring for a new Star Wars.

BLACKLAC

LOL, I forgot about that sad shit. I'm going to guess those plans have already fizzled out with Dracula's under-performance. But, that's still 2.5 things they've influenced. Warner's mad dash with a DC Universe, Universal falling on their face at the starting line with a monster universe, and Dan Aykroyd saying some shit about something he no longer has any influence or control over.

Don't forget Fox's X-Man, the Bourne series and Sony being idiots with Robbin Hood

Hale-XF11

If Star Wars ends up being a genuinely amazing film, then I'd say it has a good chance to win all categories. Many more generations grew up with Star Wars movies than with Avengers movies. I think SW has the larger audience, though to be fair, Avengers is more popular today. Could be close.

Don't forget Fox's X-Man

I don't know what you're talking about here. What are they doing with X-Men?

the Bourne series

I will be shocked to see Hawkeye return to that series, despite what they're currently saying. We'll see, though.

DZRzHOP.png

Malyse

And none of them will accomplish it and in the end nothing will change. Endless reboots and sequels.

WB and DC might be the only exception, but that is just because they are releasing the same product as Marvel
I'm sorry, at what point did I say the imitators would be successful? All I recall saying is that Marvel's movies had a significant cultural impact, which, considering how they A: kickstarted the superhero film genre and B: got everyone and their brother scrubbing their IP to see if they can shamble together a connected universe, I would say they did.

BLACKLAC

I don't know what you're talking about here. What are they doing with X-Men?

Looking to pump out more solo films to beef up the teamups box-office (Another Wolverine, Deadpool, Gambit that I know of). Also they are looking to have FF teamup with X-Man if it's a success.

Moon

Banned
I'm going to go with Star Wars, even if the prequel trilogy came out now, same actors, same story etc it would destroy the Avengers at the box office...movie quality can be debatable but after Iron Man 3 i can't imagine the gap would be so great.

It will come down to Marvel/Avenger fanboys vs Starwars fanboys and there are a metric shit tonne more Starwars fanboys out there.

I'm sorry, at what point did I say the imitators would be successful? All I recall saying is that Marvel's movies had a significant cultural impact, which, considering how they A: kickstarted the superhero film genre and B: got everyone and their brother scrubbing their IP to see if they can shamble together a connected universe, I would say they did.

After BLACKLAC's posts I'll concede point B. Point A? Nah. Spider-man and/or X-Men started the modern super hero craze.

It will come down to Marvel/Avenger fanboys vs Starwars fanboys and there are a metric shit tonne more Starwars fanboys out there.

You are talking about the same group of people.

BLACKLAC

It wont come down to this at all. In fact this is pretty much a non factor as both fanboys will see both.

The major factor here is the teen demographic and the general audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom