• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread 2: I Got 99 Pre-orders But A Rosalina Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

banner4ks59.png

wave1divider1ws73.png

wave1lineup4osmg.png

wave2dividerbjs7l.png

wave2lineupr0sln.png

wave3dividermdsbw.png

NOTE: Wave 3 is only separates in EU and JPN.Shulk, Dedede, Meta Knight, Sonic and Mega Man Are all released in February for those regions. All figures are released Feb 1st in NA.
wave3lineuprqsvl.png

wave4dividereaj4k.png

wave4lineupycjto.png

smldividery5je7.png

smwave10qj9d.png

Commonly Asked Questions
Q: Can AmiiboGAF help me get hard to find amiibos?
A:There's a lot of options here for you to use. You can send a PM to Azula to be added to the community's Google Doc about such matters, use the trading thread to set up trades with other gaffers. Or check this thread for gaffers offering there services of sending out extras they may have gotten a hold of.

Q:Do the Super Mario Line of amiibos have the same compatibility as the Smash Bros amiibos for characters in both series?
A:Yes. So a Luigi Super Smash Bros Amiibo will be compatible with anything the Super Mario Luigi is compatible with and vice versa.

Q:Are Amiibo Region Free?
A:Yes, aside from different packaging all amiibo figures thus far will work in any region.

Q:Can I use my amiibo without opening the packaging?
A:Sadly you can not due to a piece of metal which blocks the NFC. However it is possible to cut the bottom of the packaging and then use your figure.
Which is the best option for collectors who do not want to buy multiple. Since the cut will not be seen depending on how your display is.

Q:Why is it so hard to find the one I want and how can I still get it?
A:As of this writing Amiibos are a hot item. For both collectors and scalpers. Thus finding amiibos you really want out in the wild can be quite the hunt. It is highly recommended that you pre-order from your preferred retailer ASAP. If the figure you want is already out and you are having trouble finding it you can either import (amazon.de, nippon-yasan.com, amazon.fr, & play-asia.com are popular choices), repeatedly keep check on that specific amiibos web store page (Since restocks do happen), or even trade/buy from other Gaffers here in this thread.

Q:What exactly is Read/Write vs Read Only?
A:Read/Write means that the game does just that. Read the figure as well as writes data to it. Amiibos can only support one game that does this which is currently only SSB. Read Only means that the game just wants to read the amiibo figures data so that it can give you the corresponding unlock. Read Only games WILL NOT affect any data from a Read/Write feature.

Q:Are certain Amiibo figures exclusive?
A:Right now Rosalina (Target), Shulk (Gamestop), Lucario (ToysRUs), and Meta Knight (Best Buy) are the only exclusive figures. Exclusivity deals for these retailers only affects NA.

Q:What will happen to discontinued amiibo figures?
A:While nothing official has been given, Miyamoto has said the use of cards with the same functionality as that amiibo could be offered in the future.

Q:Is there a official compatibility chart?
A:The Nintendo of America Compatibility chart is currently the best on offer from a official source. http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility/

Q:Where is the 3DS Amiibo Adapter
A:The release of the peripheral is currently unknown.

Q:Is "X" amiibo rare?
A:Due to limited supply amiibos in general should be considered scarce. So if you want one the sooner the better. However the general rule so far is that the bigger the name/franchise the more common they are. So Mario character's are going to be easier to find especially in the long term compared to someone like Little Mac.

Q:What is the best way to check overall availability?
A:The lovely Salvapot has currently has the best spreadsheet with great information on this. It's a absolutely great resource to use. https://docs.google.com/a/harnettst...fBotji-C2IVnumpNTk2pitxGU/edit#gid=1468274874
Or you can use the magnificent Brian★s spread sheet as well https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xo66GjTVIG3-tx30izodKd_FHTQZ-lG_YGKP5H2RjGE/edit#gid=0

Q:What can you prescribe to get over my addiciton of amiibos?
A:
YsuARaA.gif

Horohoro

I just want a shulk, and I am not about to spend 50+ on him, Im gonna have to watch for them preorders.

GL he was available for like 3 weeks+ on gamestop.com and in store but appears to be sold out everywhere preordering in store is hit and miss though if your gonna get lucky Id try first thing tomorrow.

Horohoro

Don't think Sega wants to waste a cent more on that game.

I mean I hope not but it is interesting to start considering multiplatform games in general too and seeing if Nintendo takes advantage of this in someway regarding that don't you think. If we see any more multiplats... I could see a rayman game using them or something..

Velcro Fly

Best Buy panic is about over. Believe orders that haven't shipped will ship tomorrow or monday with estimated delivery of January 7

Insaniac

Question to anybody who has preordered wave 3 from Best Buy...

I pre ordered Metaknight but I've gotten no e-mail confirmation. my order status on the BB website shows "Order in process" is this normal for now?

Horohoro

I pre ordered Metaknight but I've gotten no e-mail confirmation. my order status on the BB website shows "Order in process" is this normal for now?

I got email confirmation of a placed order and it just says order processing online.

AdanVC

Come on Pac-Man amiibo! Get confirmed so I can cry of happiness over how cool Mario, Megaman, Sonic and Pac-Man will look on my desk <3.

Rizific

reflecting back on my hunt for wave 2 amiibos, i have to say it was something that ive never done for anything ever. i got EXTREMELY lucky with little mac and falcon. it was one of those right place right time planets lined up pigs fly kind of thing. but that feeling of successfully getting one was great. regardless of how good it felt, im not down to do that again. aside from the wave 3 exclusives, im pre ordering this time.

Im an official amiiboholic. I have all wave 1 and 2 sealed and open. Im making displays for both. They just look too cool open and closed

Dominator

Great OT, so glad I'm done with the chase. Should be covered through Wave 3, got all pre-ordered except Rosalina but I think I'll be able to find her at Target stores on release morning hopefully.

To think I ordered a spare Captain Falcon when I was worried about him from Best Buy... yet it's Pit who ended up being the pain in the ass.

SHIP HIM ALREADY BEST BUY, STOP TOYING WITH ME

Aww yeah, just scored a Pit from Amazon. Go check if there's any left, ya'll.

Edit: Dang, the product page updated with this after I ordered. Starting to feel I'll get a cancellation in the future.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
AmiiboGAF is the best GAF. Waves 1 and 2 completed. Aw yiss.

Mecca

Other than the initial, "we got your pre-order request" confirmation email, you shouldn't get another email until it's ready to ship/pick-up or is cancelled.

Velcro Fly

Hope the Captain Toad stuff is cool. Already love the game so any little bit of extra stuff would be sweet, even if it's just different hats or something.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Never thought I would be collecting amiibos and here I am with all 18 currently out + the other 11 pre-ordered.

I'm gonna be really excited when we start getting to the secret Smash character Amiibos.

I also would love to see a Male Wii Fit Trainer and Female Villager. (I wonder how they'll handle Robin and the Koopalings.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom