• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World credit warp glitch done on console for first time

Madness

It's crazy how stuff like this is found. If something like this was able to be done now on a current AAA game, people would go crazy and wonder how could a game be so broken that you can skip the game in 5 minutes etc. I remember seeing a video where someone found you can skip to the end of Ocarina of Time by doing some glitching in the first level Deku Tree etc.

But that took a lot of dedication and time. It's nice how he thinks he's screwed it up and then it still happens and he's really happy.

Was gonna post this earlier but got caught up. I'm not normally into speedruns, but the idea of doing actions ingame to write code that leads to the credits is really insane.

This glitch sounds exactly like some bullshit a gullible kid's brother would make up to fuck with him. "Nah man, you have to get those shells pixel perfect, then it will let you skip to the credits, I swear!"

It was definitely cool to see the attempts and to see it finally pulled off. I imagine it being light on RNG as opposed to earlier methods of wrong warping makes it possible for a human to do.

Audioboxer

How do you even discover something liked that?

He says on record that Jeff guy disassembled the code on a ROM to find it. Even still it's awesome to see it done on the actual console and not in an emulated environment where obviously hacks and other code can manipulate the game to do pretty much anything.

Guess that's why people may originally be dubious about the speed run on an emulator where something could be manipulating the code in a way we can't see.

I don't know for sure how this was discovered, but I'd say something like, you're playing the game on an emulator repeatedly for hours, trying to speedrun it, when the game mysteriously crashes. Wondering what in the world caused that, you load your save state from before the crash and execute the program one CPU cycle at a time, looking at what it's doing, cross-referencing what you're seeing with known info about SMW's program state that had been mined by earlier users (which variables control what etc.), until you discover the weird thing it was doing, and continue playing with that.

You can peek into active memory and interpret assembly if you're tenacious and knowledgeable enough.

Old games so buggy. Nintendo needs to patch this ASAP.

But really, how insane is this? He's basically manually altering memory slots by placing Koopa shells.

From what I recall a few stages after Yoshi's Island 2 has a much easier to execute warp although I think that one just displays "The End" image.

epmode

It's crazy how stuff like this is found. If something like this was able to be done now on a current AAA game, people would go crazy and wonder how could a game be so broken that you can skip the game in 5 minutes etc.

Nah. Today's big releases are often bugged in fundamental ways and practically everyone that plays them runs into something. This glitch and many of the others that are abused in the speed run videos will be seen by virtually no one in a normal playthrough.

Shadders

I like to think some poor coder at Nintendo is getting a bollocking for this bug right about now.

"How did you let us ship with this game breaking bug!?"

hodgy100

This. This is memory manipulation, not writing code.

The guy that hooked up Twitch chat through Pokemon Red on a SNES at AGDQ was injecting code for the system to execute. This is not the same thing

its manipulating memory to make it represent instructions and op codes. a glitch is then performed to make the program counter jump to a memory location that causes it to run that memory as code.

Its memory manipulation that writes code.

bomblord1

Banned
It's crazy how stuff like this is found. If something like this was able to be done now on a current AAA game, people would go crazy and wonder how could a game be so broken that you can skip the game in 5 minutes etc. I remember seeing a video where someone found you can skip to the end of Ocarina of Time by doing some glitching in the first level Deku Tree etc.

But that took a lot of dedication and time. It's nice how he thinks he's screwed it up and then it still happens and he's really happy.

The fact it's so hard to execute makes me believe it wouldn't.

Phediuk

I remember when people were saying arbitrary code execution was only possible in an emulator and that such runs were illegitimate. lol.

Rich!

By analyzing the memory via an emulator.

Well, you dont even need to do that. Look at these:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=map&type=rom
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=map&type=ram

SMW has been completely dissasembled for years. Every single byte has been worked out. And this glitch has been well known a while...but staggeringly hard to pull off.

Want your mind blown? Look at the hacks on http://www.smwcentral.net

Also, SMW is by far the glitchiest most hacked together piece of shit Nintendo has ever made. Still an awesome game though.

TheHall

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

Seriously though, impressive as it might be with the "coding" speedruns like this are kinda lame.

"Yay, i managed to make the game glitch faster than anyone else in the world".

Oh well

Rich!

Yeah, saw it after I posted. That's pretty cool.

Its insane! I remember when lunar magic was first released almost two decades ago and I was amazed at being able to make my own SMW levels

And now? Hooooly shit. Custom music, custom power ups, new bosses, entirely new graphics engines...and all of it works on a real SNES as it is still SMW at its core.

(unless its using a hack tested on zsnes, eurgh)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, it's crazy that you can just execute code in the game by setting the memory... even crazier to do it by "hand".

Top Bottom