• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 PSP vs. PS4 comparison video

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah, it looks a lot better, but it still feels like a handheld game with the way individual areas are cut apart into extremely bite-sized pieces.

I've been waiting for this game for years, but at some point I just stopped being excited.

VARIA

I actually dig the lo-fi version that is pushing the hardware to its limits, as opposed to the lazily ported HD version that looks exactly like what it is ... an upscaled PSP game.

specdot

Take this engine and remake Final Fantasy VIII.
I know the people want a VII remake, I do as well, but looking at Type-0 since its PSP announcement has had me wanting to play an up-resed version of VIII.

Looks just fine. I care more about the gameplay and it looks fun! Looking forward to it in March and I'm glad Amazon.ca is finally selling the CE.

Soulflarz

Banned
While yes, it's by no means "cutting edge", im surprised that it looks like it does. I for some reason didnt expect that much out of this.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a decent enough HD remaster for sure, but boy sometimes it has such a weird inbetween generation look, as if it comes from a generation of consoles that existed only in some bizarro universe. Falls inbetween a PSP game at times with the assets geometry with some slightly better than 360/PS3 effects implemented over top and much superior image quality. Just a strange mixture.

I hope the game is good. Trusted GAFers impressions have been in a wide range as far as I've followed the game.

zeromcd73

Absolutely love it. Most hyped game of the year for me behind Persona 5.

SE please continue giving Hexadrive work and get then to do Crisis core and DQ8!

Reallink

This really shouldn't be a $60 boxed product. If they wanted to do that they should have done a Final Fantasy PSP Collection HD with at minimum Type 0 and Crisis Core.

Wagram

It's a decent enough HD remaster for sure, but boy sometimes it has such a weird inbetween generation look, as if it comes from a generation of consoles that existed only in some bizarro universe. Falls inbetween a PSP game at times with the assets geometry with some slightly better than 360/PS3 effects implemented over top and much superior image quality. Just a strange mixture.

I hope the game is good. Trusted GAFers impressions have been in a wide range as far as I've followed the game.

That's Final Fantasy in a nutshell. Not worth listening to impressions.

the capes look atrocious in the PS4 version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sad that an upgraded port of a PSP game looks better than a lot of ps3 japanese RPG's recently.

Will buy. Not at full price though.. If they had boxed it with an HD remaster of 12, i would have bought it full price

kewlmyc

LOL comparison video...

it's more like a slaughter for the PSP!

Um, no shit?

Anyway, some of the textures aren't that great (that bench comes to mind), but it looks decent enough for what it is. Looking kinda forward to playing this eventually.

Corgi

Banned
Is the game confirmed 60fps?

Video ain't.

And the rts bits still look like shit. Just high resolution shit with bloom :p

Amir0x

Banned
That's Final Fantasy in a nutshell. Not worth listening to impressions.

I don't think that way haha. For me, trusted GAFers are trusted because they've made it through a specific formula of mine (I have a list of names that made it) that have generally made their impressions quite worthy of respect and admiration (mark of a good reviewer is when I can respect their views for how well justified they are even when I disagree).

This game is unusual amongst the games I check off that list because the variation of GAFer impressions was really really wide with little in between. Some people really liked the approach and the darker tone and were engaged in the combat system, others thought the tone bordered on absurdity and that the combat was medicore at best with a violently antagonistic camera.

I can't wait to find out where I fall!

WarAdept

Looks good enough to me. Will try.

Hopefully this game will give me a reason to play your mainline games again, SquareEnix.

wrowa

Definitely a good upgrade, but I got to admit that the HD remake's colors feel off in a lot of the compared scenes.

Looks pretty good for a remastered PSP title. I probably won't pick it up at launch, but it looks good. Have they ever talked about what sort of tech is in the remaster? The lighting has that sort of overly natural "it can look really good but also extremely bland" quality to it at times.

Absolutely love it. Most hyped game of the year for me behind Persona 5.

SE please continue giving Hexadrive work and get then to do Crisis core and DQ8!

Oh crap, you're gonna make me want this, aren't you?

Corgi

Banned
its' 30fps I think

... really.

This is a complete rebuild of the game, there really is no excuse why this isn't 60... with those graphics.

And yeah this is an HD remaster.

It's at hd resolution!

Unlike say Metal Gear Solid HD collection that ran at lower resolution than the vitas >.>

Menome

As someone who until this year had never even seen a screenshot, let alone played Type-0, it all looks fine and dandy to me.

As Wikipedia seems to be no help, I take it there's a Strategy Battle element on the world map and combat similar to Lightning Returns for individual battles?

Paz

Is it wrong that I preferred the look of the PSP game? The style and world complexity doesn't seem to hold up that well even with much higher resolution textures/rendering.

And the comparison is horrendously unfair in that the PSP game would be played on a tiny screen so the blown up IQ is just silly.

zeromcd73

Looks pretty good for a remastered PSP title. I probably won't pick it up at launch, but it looks good. Have they ever talked about what sort of tech is in the remaster? The lighting has that sort of overly natural "it can look really good but also extremely bland" quality to it.
I think they said they were using Hexadrive's PS3 engine combined with dx11.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think a lot of those flourishes were to make up for the obvious limitations of the PSP...now that they dont have to do that, upgrading everything to a more realistic look is priority

cafemomo

you guys shouldn't be complaining on how it looks. Just compare it to the masterpieces that Complie Heart puts out for the PS4.

Type-0 HD would be the Mona Lisa

And yeah, it's not a fair comparison to pin them against someone like CH, but there is so much you can only do with what was originally a PSP game.

Talax

Absolutely amazing. Want it right now.

I hope they do Crisis Core next.

Not dissidia though. I want a new one of that.

Dark_castle

I actually dig the lo-fi version that is pushing the hardware to its limits, as opposed to the lazily ported HD version that looks exactly like what it is ... an upscaled PSP game.

BREAKING NEWS: A remastered PSP game doesn't push the PS4 console to the limit.

Here are some shots of the game running in higher resolution on PPSSPP I found.
nJw0LbH.jpg

T0nZvo6.jpg

pL8QcIN.jpg

1LSAOMX.jpg

I kind of prefer that look, for some reason the HD remaster looks flat and bloomy.
But I appreciate the work they've put into it. Certainly looks beter than the PSP game technically.

Top Bottom