• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Burnout vs. Road Rash" was nearly made by Criterion.

iMax

Just caught this on yesterday's Podcast Unlocked. Ryan paraphrased a conversation he had with Burnout creator Alex Ward, talking about the Road Rash IP.

Yeah, the idea was to re-introduce it and crossover both as Burnout vs. Road Rash

This was supposed to happen after Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit but because of its incredible reception, EA had them make another one instead.

Just the idea of this is making me excited. And now I'm sad because I know it'll never happen.

Ruruja

I'd prefer not to know things like this.

"Hey we almost made this super amazing game, but we ended up not doing, so fuck you."

Hopefully they'll look at it again in the future.

how would that even work? whippin dudes with chains is effective, whippin a car with a chain is much less so

lets follow it up with burnout vs skitchin

A-Little-Disappointed.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The Need For Speed name will forever be akin to whispering the name of an unconvicted murderer in my vicinity due to how it murdered Burnout in cold blood and gets to live its life out unimpeded.

Myggen

Man, I fucking hate what happened to Criterion. Of the studios EA has destroyed, Criterion is probably the most heartbreaking for me personally :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
wuaZhZb.gif

See man. Now I need this smh......

This is my reaction as well.

Come on. This could have been amazing.

I mean, they were basically headed that way with the introduction of the motorcycle DLC in Burnout Paradise.

mdsfx

all I want is another burnout game like burnout 3 takedown. no traffic checking, just balls to the wall, I get die at any second racing. I played more hours of that game then anything since. God I miss it.

Is that where the bikes in Paradise came from?

Given that they had to make bike crashes zero fun to keep an E rating, I'm curious how a VS game would play out.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Fuck me. This could've been amazing. Especially since this was in their prime Criterion fresh off Burnout Paradise.

Synth

This is the worst thing I've ever read on this site...

I know you're just the messenger OP, but I can't help but hate you for making me aware of this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fucking hell, man. How hard is it to get Road Rash greenlit? It ain't even the least bit niche, fucking everybody and their dogs would buy it.

Top Bottom