• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Burnout vs. Road Rash" was nearly made by Criterion.

A-Little-Disappointed.jpg
-_-

BTW that dog is cute as fuuuuuuuck.

Clydefrog

I'm angry but I can take solace in the fact that Road Redemption is looking really, really good. I've loved what I have played of it so far.

Komo

Banned
If you like racing games at all, check out Wreckfest.

It's what burnout should be.

Wreckfest is okay, but it lacks style and it feels incredibly slow. Basically, it's too realistic.

There's far too many realistic racing games out there right now. We need something like Burnout, Daytona USA, Ridge Racer, etc.

Piggus

Whichever moron EA exec saw this proposal and thought "no, I don't think people would like that" needs a swift kick to the nuts.

Synth

Thank god that never happened!
Most Wanted was fantastic.

Just spent the last few minutes deleting each response I typed to this post, as all of them would probably have got me banned...

This post is all that's left.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They oughta just meld the burnout and need for speed games together. Call it Need For Speed: Burnout.

Then they can call the next one Need For Speed Rash

spanks

Dear Alex and Fiona,

Please make a spiritual successor to this game. The IP doesn't really matter, it's the gameplay that matters. Kickstart that shit!

Yours truly, spanks

So instead of a potentially awesome cross-over, we got a crappy NFS-Burnout-wannabe, that somehow controlled far worse than any Burnout to date, instead.

Thank god that never happened!
Most Wanted was fantastic.

If by fantastic you mean mediocre in every way, then yes I agree with you.

First, EA did this to Black 2...

Wait, really? REALLY?

I can't deal with this.

Synth

I've looked up all the Road Rash videos I can find.
Looks fucking awful.
Nostalgia has got you all tripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fVFx8sbLv8

This is one case where I'll freely admit nostalgia plays a big part (although I think the games a still legitimately fun today.. which isn't the case for all games I used to love).

Regardless though, the concept of Road Rash could work very well today in a more modern game. The Burnout template is perfect for the game, and much like how they essentially tried to sell Burnout under the NFS name, they would be able to do the same with Road Rash basically. It was the original cop chase game after all!

I've been posting about this for quite a while now:
Road Rash.

I mean, seriously... how difficult can this idea possibly be to sell? Call it Need for Speed: Road Rash if required.
A new Burnout style Road Rash wouldn't flop... damnit EA!!
I stated plenty of times in the past, that the lack of a new Road Rash seems extremely silly. It's not like the concept would be a hard sell. And things like MotorStorm has shown that it shouldn't be too different to make an enjoyable bike gameplay system.

Plus they could just roll it into Need for Speed if they think the brand name is so important. Call it Need for Speed: Road Rash, with the cop chases and all the franchises are reasonably compatible anyhow.

What I didn't know was that they were actually making, and then cancelling it behind the scenes.

I was much happier not knowing. I think I know how Megaman Legends fans feel now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while that may have been cool, straight up road rash would be better.

HP was ok, I bought it for £5 and became bored of it in a few days, the cop stuff was ok but I wanted to race supercars more.

Burnout with it's bikes update was lovely, if only road rash happened...

SpotAnime

Apparently EA was feeling like Ubisoft would take their crown as Worst Company of 2014 so they leaked this to protect such an honorable distinction.

satriales

This was back when the 360 had just been released. I know someone that was a tester at the time (I was a tester just before that) and they said a small group tested it for a couple of weeks but it was extremely early (no textures) and then the game disappeared and he never saw or heard of it again.

I didn't know it was going to be a burnout crossover, just that it was a new Road Rash game.

This was back when the 360 had just been released. I know someone that was a tester at the time (I was a tester just before that) and they said a small group tested it for a couple of weeks but it was extremely early (no textures) and then the game disappeared and he never saw or heard of it again.

I didn't know it was going to be a burnout crossover, just that it was a new Road Rash game.
Yeah that was a proof of concept video, I believe. Just a prototype really.

That early footage

Zomba13

Insert some form of gif relating to me shooting my brain out because of how stupid not going with this idea was.

DAMMIT EA, WHY! Why waste Criterion like that and not let them make a game you know full well they would have done an excellent job with? Hot Pursuit was damn good but Most Wanted was pretty mediocre at best so this hurts. What's happened to Criterion is so sad and while I'm looking forward to whatever that new game is, seeing part of the team go over to Ghost and everything... they deserved so much better. They should have made this.

lil

...I did not need to know this. Holy crap.

but tbh, I'm pretty excited for Criterion's new game
so it all worked out
. Snowmobiles is basically the closest thing to an SSX sequel I have to look forward to. :(

As much as (seemingly just) I love Most Wanted, this is some incredibly sad news. It would've been fantastic, no doubt. Criterion is awesome and the know how to handle very arcade crazy crashing racing.

First, EA did this to Black 2..

Black-2-Characters.jpg

And now, this too, apparently. Smh.

What on earth is this shit? Any background story?

jesu

GKD9sg1.png

Get out..... Road Rash is an amazing franchise.

Was that video supposed to be impressive?
Could you show me a good video?

Is this like Perfect Dark N64.
XBLA version got released and was fucking pish?
People were tripping on nostalgia?

TxdoHawk

I want to be on a motorcycle and punch someone who is driving a car in the face for a takedown. WHY DID THIS NOT HAPPEN FGDFSFSFJHSFJKLSFSFJK

Synth

Was that video supposed to be impressive?
Could you show me a good video?

Is this like Perfect Dark N64.
XBLA version got released and was fucking pish?
People were tripping on nostalgia?

Not to be rude, but there honestly isn't any point in showing a video of an older game to someone who falls back on the "nostalgia" argument, as they'll obviously judge it purely on presentation and not gameplay. If you really wanted to know what Road Rash was like, you'd want to play it, not watch it.

Top Bottom