• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Ubisoft is removing games from UPlay bought from unauthorized retailers

Kezen

Banned
People buying from those sleezy sites deserve what is coming to them. It's plain obvious that anyone should avoid doing that.

badb0y

People buying from those sleezy sites deserve what is coming to them. It's plain obvious that anyone should avoid doing that.

Why? Why should companies be the only ones who are able to reap the benefits of globalization?

mtodavk

Care to elaborate on that? I don't really think there's anything wrong with trying to find a good deal...

Now, if those keys are somehow stolen, then it's a different story...

Zatoth

Heard that of some people on a another message board who lost their uplay games they bought at G2A.

Care to elaborate on that? I don't really think there's anything wrong with trying to find a good deal...

From last year:
SU8trFZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/statuses/466577590606520320

Nydus

i use g2a because they sponsor a lot of streamers. i guess this sponsorship is over now and 40€ down the drain. i also dont see myself rebuying those games or buying another ubisoft title without a heavy discount.

Kezen

Banned
G2A is just an auction site for keys though right?
It's a site selling stolen keys, fucking publishers and developpers in the process. Avoid at all costs. Many intelligent people have already warned anyone and everyone about this site, it is widely known they are barely legal and use every dodgy tactics to sell keys at a price well below everyone else.

Why? Why should companies be the only ones who are able to reap the benefits of globalization?

Read above. I can't feel sorry for anyone falling into such an obvious trap. Their desperate search for the lowest possible key led them to contemplate supporting fraudulent sites.

iNvid02

thats scummy, they should leave whats already been done but prevent future activations if they want to clamp down on this stuff

Nokterian

Like TB said.

Reminder, places like G2A, CJS, Kinguin etc are UNAUTHORISED grey market resellers and as a result some of their keys may not be legitimate.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/559294853918760960

Please do not believe that just because G2A threw out a bunch of sponsorships to streamers that they are above board. They are not.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/559297705525379072

And looking at how a youtuber like Levelcapgaming is promoting G2A..well that is a huge mistake he did. Don't buy from shady websites like them.

Lechuq

Neo Member

G2A and most key resellers operates in a grey area, buying key from cheaper country (mostly eastern europe) and selling them at a discounted price.

But you have no way to know for sure the origin of the key (stolen/from a bundle/legit) so buying from them you must be prepare to have it removed at some point.

CozMick

Banned
Good, how dare people get digital content cheaper from an illegitimate vendor when model citizens like myself buy from official vendors for extortionate prices.

badb0y

If the keys are stolen and are being removed that's fine.

If the keys are just bought at the grey market and resold then I see no problem with it.

sueil

I'll never get tired of watching twitch streamers do all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend g2a when someone points out they are shady as fuck. Seems like half the people on twitch have g2a links in their streams.

BibiMaghoo

It's a site selling stolen keys, fucking publishers and developpers in the process. Avoid at all costs. Many intelligent people have already warned anyone and everyone about this site, it is widely known they are barely legal and use every dodgy tactics to sell keys at a price well below everyone else.

I wasn't aware this was the case. My understanding is that they are essentially, an Ebay for keys. I can sell a key on that site, as can you. Would Ubisoft remove all keys bought through Ebay? Because they have just as much chance of being stolen / unauthorised.

Why not proceed in legal actions against the retailers involved instead?

Consumers paid for their products and there's no way to tell if they bought them knowing the risks.

Oh, geez. I've been buying 90% of my PC games there because of the super weak Canadian dollar and how everything digital costs like $15-$20 more than it should now.

Edit: My games still seem to be fine, this is troubling news for what I thought was just a site with good deals. They would always save me like $20, but it never felt illegally cheap, or cheap enough for me to think something was wrong.

Robin64

Okay, cool, but what about innocent consumers that just looked around on the internet for a good deal and have no idea about the source of their key? Punishing the wrong people here.

Zatoth

Why not proceed in legal actions against the retailers involved instead?

Consumers paid for their products and there's no way to tell if they bought them knowing the risks.

They are registered in Hong Kong. Don't think it is easy (possible?) to get to them.

I bought several high profile AAA games from G2PLAY (a division/subsidiary of Kinguin, AFAIK).
DA:I (Origin)
AC:IV, AC:U, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Uplay)

All working, all present and accounted for (for now).

Bought them for 30 EUR a piece (give or take), day one.

AFAIK, G2PLAY operates in a way of buying physical games in bulk (which all have Steam/Origin/Uplay codes these days anyway) and then they sell you the keys.
Is it legal or not, frankly I don't care. I know they're not authorized resellers ala GMG.

Never had any issue with this, and no, I don't plan to pay 60 EUR day one for a game on Steam/Uplay/Origin.
If G2PLAY falls through, I simply won't buy these games day one, I'll wait for a GOTY ed./Steam sale and get them then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really interested to see how this resolves.

They are registered in Hong Kong. Don't think it is easy (possible?) to get to them.

And removing products that consumers have paid for is easier? Companies definitely have the right to defend themselves against this kind of practices but not at the expense of the final user.

Nydus

G2A and most key resellers operates in a grey area, buying key from cheaper country (mostly eastern europe) and selling them at a discounted price.

But you have no way to know for sure the origin of the key (stolen/from a bundle/legit) so buying from them you must be prepare to have it removed at some point.

thats not strictly true. its not 2010 where you have global keys for everyone. the keys from cheaper regions often come without english language and need either a vpn to unlock, an english language "patch" or even both. if an AAA key has native EU languages and needs no vpn bs it is a key for the eu market. if a key is really stolen it a) wont work to begin with or b) will get revoked shortly after.

this whole situation just looks very anticonsumer to me and like an empowerment to pirates.

it mabye well within ubisofts rights to do so, but im also gladly in the right not to buy anything from them in the future. (and no this doesnt mean ill pirate it, backlog for years…)

Zafir

And looking at how a youtuber like Levelcapgaming is promoting G2A..well that is a huge mistake he did. Don't buy from shady websites like them.
A lot of streamers are sponsored by them. Kinguin as well have started sponsoring streamers now too.

The issue with both G2A and Kinguin is they're marketplaces, so anyone can be selling on them. Which makes it even harder to know where they get their keys from. At least some cd key sites (Gamekeysnow as an example) show you pictures of retail boxes trying to prove they weren't stolen(though they're still illigitimate in the eyes of Valve).

Zatoth

And removing products that consumers have paid for is easier? Companies definitely have the right to defend themselves against this kind of practices but not at the expense of the final user.

Check out this link I posted above:
http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware-shady-key-resellers-and-discount-steam-keys/

The company even had to pay fees because someone bought keys from their site with stolen credit cards.

In that case they would have paid for the key the customer received.

This may not affect big companies too much, but for smaller ones this can be a big hit.

pelican

This is a rather naive statement.

You are assuming that customers on these sites would even know they are dodgy in the first place. Plus, if there is a problem Ubi should be going after the distributor not the customer who has purchased the titles in good faith.

Klyka

Banned
I bought several high profile AAA games from G2PLAY (a division/subsidiary of Kinguin, AFAIK).
DA:I (Origin)
AC:IV, AC:U, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Uplay)

All working, all present and accounted for (for now).

Bought them for 30 EUR a piece (give or take), day one.

AFAIK, G2PLAY operates in a way of buying physical games in bulk (which all have Steam/Origin/Uplay codes these days anyway) and then they sell you the keys.
Is it legal or not, frankly I don't care. I know they're not authorized resellers ala GMG.

Never had any issue with this, and no, I don't plan to pay 60 EUR day one for a game on Steam/Uplay/Origin.
If G2PLAY falls through, I simply won't buy these games day one, I'll wait for a GOTY ed./Steam sale and get them then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really interested to see how this resolves.

Yep, I have bought basically every PC game of the last years on G2Play.
Never had a single issue.

Nokterian

A lot of streamers are sponsored by them. Kinguin as well have started sponsoring streamers now too.

The issue with both G2A and Kinguin is they're marketplaces, so anyone can be selling on them. Which makes it even harder to know where they get their keys from. At least some cd key sites (Gamekeysnow as an example) show you pictures of retail boxes trying to prove they weren't stolen(though they're still illigitimate in the eyes of Valve).

Oh boy this is pretty dangerous territory there stepping in.

Isurus

If you buy from unauthorized sellers or the gray market, unfortunately, this is the risk you run. You see this type of thing in other industries too. For example, there is a large gray market for photography gear made by Canon. However, if you purchase from those types of sellers, Canon offers very limited, if any, support. Not exactly the same thing (as it is a physical good as opposed to digital), but the concept is similar.

Often times when you purchase something for a price below the typical market price, you run this type of risk. Is what it is.

If you buy from unauthorized sellers or the gray market, unfortunately, this is the risk you run. You see this type of thing in other industries too. For example, there is a large gray market for photography gear made by Canon. However, if you purchase from those types of sellers, Canon offers very limited, if any, support. Not exactly the same thing (as it is a physical good as opposed to digital), but the concept is similar.

Often times when you purchase something for a price below the typical market price, you run this type of risk. Is what it is.

Yeah but Canon doesn't update your camera to block the use of them or takes the item off you.

Check out this link I posted above:
http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware-shady-key-resellers-and-discount-steam-keys/

The company even had to pay fees because someone bought keys from their site with stolen credit card.

In that case they would have paid for the key the customer received.

This may not affect big companies too much, but for smaller ones this can be a big hit.

I think they bought in bulk and then made a charge back, the press release doesn't mention stolen cards (I'm being pedantic).

The main argument here is that companies shouldn't recoup the losses with the final users but with the company that sold the keys. Shops already received their money, by deactivating keys you're just hurting the one who already paid.

If it violates their terms and services, then they should remove them. They have every right to do so.

If it doesn't, then they should leave it alone.

kswiston

Those talking about "benefiting from globalization", I think it is pretty obvious that India, Russia, and other territories only get heavily discounted games as an effort to make in-roads to markets that are traditionally havens for piracy. These games are budgeted based on launch price being $60 (or the EU equivalent). Companies allow a small subset of sales to go for much less, because it is better than everyone stealing the title in those regions.

Region locking sucks. Some regions get screwed out of certain titles due to censorship and other factors, and who doesn't love saving money. However, everyone getting what is supposed to be a $60 title for $15-25 is not a realistic option. If region locking became illegal tomorrow, publishers would just stop selling titles at discounted rates in developing markets, and the long term growth of the industry would be stifled in much of Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

If you don't want to spend $60 on some AAA title, wait 3-6 months and get it at $20-40.

Heigic

I don't know why G2A is advertised by the majority of top twitch streamers when it is known to be selling illegitimate keys. Even Cloud9 is sponsored by them.

Klyka

Banned
I don't know why G2A is advertised by the majority of top twitch streamers when it is known to be selling illegitimate keys. Even Cloud9 is sponsored by them.

Because they get tons of money from it.
You make like, what, 2€ or more from every referral? That adds up.

Top Bottom