• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Vita 2K Grip Accessory Adds R2/L2 Buttons

Takao

Banned
hTojXSJ.jpg

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-mediaworld/12020269000/?scid=af_pc_link_txt&sc2id=317324997

for psone classic playback, psnow and ps4 remote play
3000yen msrp
april release
produced by joetsu electronics

guess you still gotta use touch for R3/L3 tho

SerTapTap

They should have at least put "butt grips" like the Steam controller for L3/R3.

How's this work anyway, does it actually just touch the rear pad where R2/L2 should be?

I need this for the oled Vita :/ if sony somehow made something like this with l3/r3 i'm not even joking... I would pay 50+ dollars for it

SmokyDave

I can't see this being anything more than a digital trigger pressing the rear touch panel. It's not going to feel like actual analogue triggers.

As others have said, where is the OLED version?!?!?!

Not having L2/R2 is the main reason I don’t use remote play as much as I would like for certain games. If I had that sorted it would make things a lot easier.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony needed to release this themselves so that developers would support it properly [place good virtual buttons on the touch areas that these new buttons touch].

BTW, I dont like that this model has no grips that are extending away from the console, forming a place where I can rest my palms while holding the Vita. If a game requires me to use both analogue sticks, then i must hold vita in strenuous claw grip where tips of my fingers are holding almost the full weight of the console.

This is a perfect grip for longer sessions
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/506/702/ggl06.jpg
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/506/702/ggl10.jpg

Although this is also very acceptable
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61nw-oJ4XSL._SL1500_.jpg

dyergram

Damn would of bought the shit out of that for oled. back to waiting for a jailbreak solution for iPad remote play I guess.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
A better solution should've been for Sony to firmware update the Vita to allow bluetooth controllers. Then a 3rd party developer could release something like the Circle Pad Pro, that is just a shell sending button presses wirelessly. Then we could get a proper shell, no risk of scratching the device and analogue triggers.

SerTapTap

yeah, it looks like a mechanical solution

Ah, I see--probably makes LR3 difficult, not all games use the back touch for those. Remoteplay should really have some basic options to override the dev set (or NOT set) defaults. For instance the TLOU:R layout (I think Destiny uses it too?) with LR3 on the front is much nicer than 4 buttons on the rear for most control schemes.

marrec

Banned
A better solution should've been for Sony to firmware update the Vita to allow bluetooth controllers. Then a 3rd party developer could release something like the Circle Pad Pro, that is just a shell sending button presses wirelessly. Then we could get a proper shell, no risk of scratching the device and analogue triggers.

This would be the ideal thing for Sony to do.

In fact, just let me connect my DS4 to the Vita.

Ourobolus

Banned
Only if the tops of the backtouch area are binded to something useful. Devs did not know for this accessory, so they could possibly bind something irrelevant there. :)

Well of course it's game dependent, but for things like PS1 games that have many functions tied to L2/R2, it's great.

BigDug13

Only if the tops of the backtouch area are binded to something useful. Devs did not know for this accessory, so they could possibly bind something irrelevant there. :)

For remote play, if a dev bound something irrelevant to that L2/R2 button, then the game has already been optimized for vita control. This device isn't for those games, but will still make that irrelevant button easier to press if needed. But some games, such as Shadow of Mordor, are completely unplayable without good access to L2/R2 pads in the back, and mine simply don't work well enough for the way I hold my Vita. I'm sure there are other game examples. R2 skill button in Diablo 3 is another one.

The two back pads this device touches are R2 and L2. Those are important buttons in remote play. This could be a game changing device.

I'm a little confused. Are there just two pegs that align with the top corners of the touchpad that press those zones when you press the buttons?

I've mapped R1 and L1 to the front screen's bottom corners because I found the touchpad doesn't register my touches reliably. I'll sit there tapping and rubbing two or three times before it registers.

At first I was like :O

Then I saw it was only for Slim ;_;

I guess it doesn't really matter for me though. I still can't get Remote Play to work reliably.

xzeldax3

I'm hoping Sony makes a Vita 3.0 that is like the N3DS: two more shoulder buttons, improved battery life, can do everything the Vita does bit also has boosted specs so it can have exclusive games that can utilize it. Maybe clickable sticks also? Until then, remote play is really bad unless devs make good control schemes.

Top Bottom