• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Vita 2K Grip Accessory Adds R2/L2 Buttons

MIMF

Does anyone know what happens when remoting a game where the L2/R2 buttons are not mapped to the back touch panel? Can this device handle this situation?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Does anyone know what happens when remoting a game where the L2/R2 buttons are not mapped to the back touch panel? Can this device handle this situation?

All this case does is "simulate" you pressing on the back with 2 rubber pads for the L2 / R2. There is nothing electronic about it. All mechanical.

Which means if the function does not exist on the Vita then this case is not going to help any.

I have mine currently and while its nice and works, there is 1 small issue with it, which might be serious for some.

After feeling the plastic and how it fits in, the areas circled in red in the image below are weakpoints that feel like they would have a high probability to snap off if a user is constantly trying to take out / put in their PSV.

That and dont expect to fit this in any sort of case, so if you are planning on getting / using one you better have a screen protector on. As with the issue stated above would not recommend taking the vita in / out of the housing.

Not really the best design considering the price of the thing. Damned shame too since the case itself and triggers do work.
Hmm... Well, I better upgrade to a 32GB before getting this, then.
Is it at least comfortable?

Parakeetman

Hmm... Well, I better upgrade to a 32GB before getting this, then.
Is it at least comfortable?

Yeah its fairly comfortable, there isnt anything that feels like its getting in the way of your hands, I have bear hands so it takes me a bit more getting used to. The average person should be fine though. The triggers are nice and large also.

I tried it on one of the more L2 R2 trigger intensive games which is Shadow Tower since you need L2 / R2 to look up and down and worked no issues so far. Surprising considering how "simple" the mechanical design of this thing is.

Its a real damned shame that the case itself Im concerned about the durability with those little nubs though as I prefer to have my vita in the case. D:

I think one good example of a smart design with how it held stuff in place was like the 3DS and the circle pad pro. As it required no actual "breakable" part to hold it in place.

Yeah its fairly comfortable, there isnt anything that feels like its getting in the way of your hands, I have bear hands so it takes me a bit more getting used to. The average person should be fine though. The triggers are nice and large also.

I tried it on one of the more L2 R2 trigger intensive games which is Shadow Tower since you need L2 / R2 to look up and down and worked no issues so far. Surprising considering how "simple" the mechanical design of this thing is.

Its a real damned shame that the case itself Im concerned about the durability with those little nubs though as I prefer to have my vita in the case. D:

I think one good example of a smart design with how it held stuff in place was like the 3DS and the circle pad pro. As it required no actual "breakable" part to hold it in place.

That's fantastic news to hear about it actually working well. I barely take my Vita anywhere any longer, so this might be the best solution for around the house remote play.

One question, do the buttons feel spongy or are they pretty responsive?

*edit*

Found a post on reddit with more details.

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/34cgvn/just_got_the_l2r2_grip_ama_spoiler_its_great/

Also this beautiful pic:

AXLoA6C.jpg

Parakeetman

That's fantastic news to hear about it actually working well. I barely take my Vita anywhere any longer, so this might be the best solution for around the house remote play.

One question, do the buttons feel spongy or are they pretty responsive?

*edit*

Found a post on reddit with more details.

http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/34cgvn/just_got_the_l2r2_grip_ama_spoiler_its_great/

Also this beautiful pic:

AXLoA6C.jpg

The buttons are pretty responsive. As mentioned had tested it out with a game where you need to use the L2 R2 a lot and worked perfectly fine. Did not have anything that made me stop to think something was wrong with how they responded which was surprising considering how simple the design is.

Ramma2

Just realized this is for the new vita, part of me just died inside. Was struggling with the back touchscreen in Farcry 4 a lot last night, and I was hoping this would be the fix!

Is it worth to upgrade to the newer vita just so I can fit it in a grip with triggers? Urgh..

SharkJAW

What would be the process for getting this imported? I'd love to get my hands on this so I can mainly remote play.

Edit: nvm, just saw the play Asia link.

SharkJAW

This sucks because now putting L2/R2 on the front screen seems to be the new standard and you can't change it...
Yup, universal remote play mapping would alleviate this. It wouldn't surprise me if that gets added in a firmware update at some point, though.

Bittercup

Amiami has the orders closed and play-asia seems to be out of stock either with 'Pending stock arrival' added.
Any other store who has it available?

KyleCross

Yup, universal remote play mapping would alleviate this. It wouldn't surprise me if that gets added in a firmware update at some point, though.

I'm skeptical of that. I think it got changed in the first place because of how unreliable back touchpad triggers were.

SharkJAW

I'm skeptical of that. I think it got changed in the first place because of how unreliable back touchpad triggers were.
Possibly, but the PS1 classics allow you to choose between mapping to the front or the back. I'm curious why that doesn't extend to remote play, currently.

Takao

Banned
English interview with Joetsu:

Is this the first time your company is making something that is related to video games?
Remember SEGA SATURN was launched 20 years ago? Do you know that V-Saturn, a compatible machine, was released at same time? That was sold by JVC and our company was manufacturing that machine. So it means this is the second time [for us] to work on game-related products.

The grip only for PS Vita 2000. Why? Do you plan to make one for PS Vita 1000 too?
Because developing two different kinds of products cost both more time and money, so we decided to produce only for PCH-2000 this time. We are willing to manufacture one for PCH-1000, but we’re going to determine if we do after checking sales and user’s voice.

So the grip could be easily made for the model 1000?

Through trials and errors making the grip for PCH-2000, it’s not going to be that hard to make one for PCH-1000. Although we haven’t decided to release it at this moment, it wouldn’t take for a long time if we start to produce.

http://hackinformer.com/2015/05/07/interview-with-joetsu-electronics-ps-vita-l2r2-grip/

Matriox

After a much longer time than I expected, the Vita grip I ordered finally arrived in rural Ohio. I don't have any good pictures yet, but I'll try to upload some when I do.

The grip actually felt a little weird when I started using it, but after an hour or so the grip feels natural to hold. There are small nub-handles on the bottom corners that your remaining ring/pinky fingers wrap around while your point/middle fingers sit comfortably on the triggers at all time. It feels great as a replacement to my other grip which was just the stock v2000 plastic that you can find online or in stores.

Overall the build quality seems fine/solid, but there are a couple minor issues. As posted earlier, the two holding points keeping the vita in place seem a little fragile. I won't be drop testing my vita, but I imagine the grip wouldn't be able to handle much of a fall before those connections broke. When your finger isn't resting on the trigger itself they sort of drift towards the back of the Vita, where if you get underneath the triggers they're a bit sharp, I've actually cut my finger a little on that when I wasn't paying attention as I was setting it down. Maybe it was just mine came off the assembly with sharp triggers, but I'll need to sand those down. The triggers do feel a little floaty to activate the back touchpad, they only sensor when the triggers are pressed halfway rather than as you press them compared to a PS4's triggers, but that is expected since these are manually pressing the back of the vita for you rather than inputs themselves. It's something you get used to.

Now for games I actually got to try with the grip. I actually hadn't tried many games on Remote Play unless I felt like they would actually be decent, so Diablo and FFXIV were the only 2 games I regularly played before a grip. Diablo has become better with a grip, no longer do I have to wrap my fingers around uncomfortably to hit r2 abilities and the triggers work amazingly here. Other than that, I tried to load up Call of Duty Advanced Warfare and Bloodborne. Both games use a different control scheme than a PS4 controller so the grip actually wasn't all that helpful since those buttons have been remapped to less important ones compared to say aiming down the sights and pulling the trigger in CoD.

Those are the only 3 games I've tried so far, I didn't have a whole lot of time last night before I went to bed to mess with it, but I did play a decent amount of Diablo with the grip and can say it was worth it for me just for that lol. As I continue to mess around with it I can post photos and impressions on different games, I plan on starting Witcher 3 tonight so I will definitely be giving that one a shot with the grip.

EDIT: I also plan on renewing my FFXIV as well as trying out Destiny tonight since I hadn't touched those games in awhile.

BibiMaghoo

Huh. I thought this was a thing but I couldn't find it. Turns out it is on the PS4 options apparently? I'll have to give it a shot.

Yeah it's local to the PS4 rather than the Vita itself, but you should be able to map anything to anything now, making RP a whole lot easier.

bigkurz

Banned
This thing absolutely rocks. I'm floored by how responsive it is. I expected it to be clunky/laggy but i'm happily surprised.

Between PS1 classics and remote play (for games that dont customize the controls) this grip is a godsend. I'm ordering a 2nd one to have just in case.

Valanarro

Can't seem to navigate the site very well on mobile. Do they have a black version?
Edit:Nevermind, found the page for t. will have to look into one when they come back in stock

bigkurz

Banned
I'm honestly surprised this apparently works so well. Might have to get one myself!

its only been a couple of days, but i highly recommend it. its gonna change so much for me in terms of remote play. with this, i almost PREFER that companies don't make special remote play controls involving the front touch pad.

or, you know, sony could just allow complete remote play mapping.

but still, this thing is a game changer...at least for niche / hardcore vita dorks like us! :)

Leynos

I just got mine today, and I like it. Not that it is perfect, but I am glad to have it.

Pros:
-It does what it sets out to do. I have no problems using the L2/R2 buttons. L3, and R3 can still be accessed.
-It is comfortable. I haven't used it for extensive lengths of time yet, but it feels better with it than without. I get hands cramps when I hold the naked Vita for extended play sessions, so I hope that this will alleviate that.

Cons:
-As noted above, the little tabs that hold the Vita in place seem a little fragile, and I am afraid that removing the grip might eventually snap them off.
-Some edges are sharp, and they should have been designed better.

I am glad to have bought the grip, even if it cost about $42 with shipping. I don't intend to remove it from the grip too often as I don't want to break it. Good thing that I have a tempered glass screen protector.

Now, if only that it also had a battery incorporated like the Nyko grip then it would be just about the best damn grip.

Ramma2

Didn't think of this... I always wanted to play it remote play but that would indeed be a nightmare...

Oh well... too bad there isn't a 1K model of this.

The manufacturer of the 2k grip put out a twitter post to gauge interest in a 1k version of the grip, and was surprised by the number of responses it got. I'd say our chances of getting a 1k grip are pretty good, just no idea when.

This was about a month go if I recall correctly.

Leynos

I took my Vita out of the grip today because I want to take it with me

The right tab circled in the picture broke off. Fuck. FUCK! :(

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest flaw with its design. It's why I don't ever take the thing off.

AwRy108

Ugh, got a Vita 2000 (already have the OLED) so I could grab this accessory, but it's sold out everywhere! Anyone selling theirs?

Having used this for a week already, it's much more comfortable than just handling the vita alone. I don't experience cramps anymore! XD

Top Bottom