• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNATCHER is still my favorite thing Kojima has created

Krejlooc

Banned
4LWRQOG.jpg

Hell yeah, the first Kojima game I ever played wasn't anything in his Metal Gear line, but rather SNATCHER on the Sega CD. I've recounted the story a few times on this board, but back in the mid 90's, snatcher had the same stigma about it that FMV games had (in the US at least). I picked it up along with games like Corpse Killer as Electronics Boutique was liquidating their stock of Sega CD games for like a few bucks. And even then it sat on my shelf for about a year until I played it one summer, solely because I wanted a lightgun game to play. The intro, while it looked fantastic, was mainly boring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94

And I almost turned the game off...until I ran into Gibson:

NlscUJ6.jpg

This is the very first thing that happens in the game so I don't feel bad for not putting it in a spoiler. It basically kicks off the entire story, and from there on forward it's told with the same tone and style that most of Kojima's work is told in.

In the end, the story is basically Blade Runner + Terminator, but it's more like Hideo Kojima's Blade Runner which is awesome. Snatcher has never gotten a sequel, but it's also never really gone away. The originals didn't contain an act 3, then the PC Engine Remake added and Act 3 that was abridged, and the Sega CD version finally expanded Act 3 into a full conclusion. Additionally, SD Snatcher, an RPG remake of the game, expands the story in key scenes to give a better overview of the plot.

And, most recently, Kojima teamed up with Suda 51 to produce a prequel to Snatcher in the form of the radio drama SDATCHER.

It got a spiritual successor in the form of Policenauts, but that really has nothing to do with Snatcher. It also is continously linked with the Metal Gear series, with frequent cross overs, and Snatcher (at least originally) took place in the same timeline (FoxDie, as an example, is thought to be the cause of The Catastrophe, and people from Metal gear appear in Snatcher).

Snatcher is awesome because it combines film noir with sci fi and anime story telling, packaged with spectacular pixel art and terrific music. Nothing Kojima has done before or since has matched it, IMO. I would love for a sequel. Anybody else love SNATCHER?

eXistor

I'd love to play Snatcher, but outside of emulation I don't see it happening. It's the one Sega CD game I still really want to own someday.

Neff

Mine too. By an absolute mile.

I dearly wish Kojima would go back to Neo Kobe City in some way.

AHA-Lambda

I've never played SNATCHER but I really want to and can't believe it's not been rereleased in this day and age.

I was at Eurogamer Expo a few years back and Kojima was there and at one point the audience was asked if people wanted to see more of Snatcher and I put my hand up then noticed in a full auditorium that so few people had done so too, could hear tumbleweed; was sad :(

I'd love to play Snatcher, but outside of emulation I don't see it happening. It's the one Sega CD game I still really want to own someday.

Yep that about the only and easiest way to play it. Such a wonderful game. Just priced way too high. I'd like to own but fear for disc rot.

Krejlooc

Banned
Mine too. By an absolute mile.

I dearly wish Kojima would go back to Neo Kobe City in some way.

Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes has an awesome Snatcher What-if missions where Raiden travels in to the past to fight Snatchers.

Sadly, though, it doesn't advance the snatcher plot nor does it play like MGR. I would love a follow-up Snatcher mission in MGR2.

It's also my favorite thing Kojima has done. I'd love to see him return to making games like this. Also, I made good money when I sold my copy a few years ago. :-D

I'd like to play Policenauts one day but I'm just too lazy to buy a copy of it.

Shy

before shenmue came along snatcher was my favorite game off all time. it still is, but it's joint first now.

Is this game available on PSN Store? What is the best version of the game?

I haven't played this masterpiece yet but I do plan to rectify this soon.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This should be on the VC or something. Adding Sega CD functionality can't be rocket science if they already have Genesis working. I mean, they had TurboGrafix CD games years ago.

Yep that about the only and easiest way to play it. Such a wonderful game. Just priced way too high. I'd like to own but fear for disc rot.

Peh. My dad's audio CDs from 1985 still work... not worried about disc rot yet.

If you did buy a copy, you could just burn a copy anyway. No copy protection on Sega CD.

I only got halfway through before I had to return the system and game to the friend I borrowed them from. I was enjoying my time with it even if it is a Blade Runner ripoff.

It stinks that most of the people have only played it through piracy and that will probably never change.

Neff

Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes has an awesome Snatcher What-if missions where Raiden travels in to the past to fight Snatchers.

Sadly, though, it doesn't advance the snatcher plot nor does it play like MGR. I would love a follow-up Snatcher mission in MGR2.

I actually bought Ground Zeroes solely for the Snatcher fanservice. I like Metal Gear a lot, but Snatcher really is his magnum opus as far as I'm concerned. For what it's worth, Hideki Kamiya also agrees.

It's really striking that Kojima's first shot at creating a visual novel/graphic adventure is arguably one of the greatest of all time. Even Policenauts didn't quite match its magic.

It stinks that most of the people have only played it through piracy and that will probably never change.

Given that the only existing English version of the game has been discontinued for almost 20 years (and had a super-limited print run of 2000 or so at that), and that Konami doesn't receive a penny from eBayers and the like, and that the game is ridiculously expensive these days, I for one certainly wouldn't look down upon anyone who opted to play the game via illegitimate means.

Of course, it'd be nice if Konami did re-release the game though.

BigDes

I would love Konami to make a digital version of this and Policenauts available, Never got the chance to play em

Only thing I know about Policenauts is the awesome theme that was used in MGS1

Krejlooc

Banned
What is the best available, english version of this?

There is only one english version of this game, period, and it's the one at the top of the OP.

Good news is that it's one of the very best translations of that time period, by far. Very good voice acting and the team even wrote a forward in the manual (which itself is translated basically verbatim from the PC Engine manual) about how closely they tried to stick to the source material.

Zebetite

Banned
"One Night in Neo Kobe City" is my ringtone and the game's "you found a clue!" sound effect is my SMS tone.

I fuckin' love Snatcher.

andymcc

Banned
in the summer of '99 my friend got this game for around $25 off of Yahoo auctions. we played the shit out of it. i think we completed it in a sitting or two.

it's my favorite kojima title too. SD Snatcher is worth checking out as well.

I think is the only Kojima's game I never played. I played Policenauts, was really nice but I gave up during a motocycle chase, since I can't complete it even with a mouse :D

Sega CD.

Imagine a third person Snatcher game in the Fox Engine.
Dear god...

i'd rather see hi-res, anime sprite art personally. part of the charm of snatcher.

Up until 2-3 years ago, it was the only Kojima title I've ever played. Having played though MGS 1-4 now, Snatcher is still my favorite of his works that I've played. (Never played Policenauts)

The scene in the OP is what got me hooked, too. Actually, scratch that: That entire factory area is what drew me in. Amazing atmosphere.

Krejlooc

Banned
Up until 2-3 years ago, it was the only Kojima title I've ever played. Having played though MGS 1-4 now, Snatcher is still my favorite of his works that I've played. (Never played Policenauts)

The scene in the OP is what got me hooked, too. Actually, scratch that: That entire factory area is what drew me in. Amazing atmosphere.

When the pleasure of tension kicks in and metal gear is all "I'm detecting movement!"

The game basically goes from 0 to 60 on a dime and never really lets up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll go rummaging through my couch and see if I can scare up $500...

One of my all time favorite games. I bought the UK Mega CD version at launch when I was 14. What a ride.

I'm still shocked he's stuck doing Metal Gear.

Neff

There is only one english version of this game, period, and it's the one at the top of the OP.

Good news is that it's one of the very best translations of that time period, by far. Very good voice acting and the team even wrote a forward in the manual (which itself is translated basically verbatim from the PC Engine manual) about how closely they tried to stick to the source material.

I remember an interview with Jeremy Blaustein where he makes mention of the fact that Snatcher's script was recorded in a 'live' mutli-head session, with actors reacting to each other's dialogue rather than the preferred, cheaper, still in vogue method of recording performances separately and splicing them together. You can feel that difference, and it resulted in a performance way ahead of its time, particularly when compared to other Japanese games with voice acting from the same era. Kojima loved the English translation and it's what led to Blaustein getting the MGS1 gig.

Is this a graphic novel or an adventure?

Bit of both. You can wander around Neo Kobe City at your discretion but there's a lot of talking, questioning and following up leads.

I enjoyed this very much when I played it like eight years ago. Far superior to the disappointing Policenauts. I only wish the game had more lightgun sequences.

entremet

I think is the only Kojima's game I never played. I played Policenauts, was really nice but I gave up during a motocycle chase, since I can't complete it even with a mouse :D

Sega CD is the best version. It costs tons, though. Good luck!

Sagely

Completely agree OP, I loved SNATCHER! Policenauts was great too; I prefer them both to the MGS games (although I like those plenty). The amount of crossover between SNATCHER and MGS is crazy. Man, I would love to see another game like that from Kojima but I doubt it'll happen.

I've wanted Kojima to go back to Snatcher for years. I'd absolutely love to see what he could do with a new 3D open world Snatcher adventure with really dense environments, and old school storytelling and pacing.

Gumbie

I saw SNATCHER in the thread title and thought it was going to be a sequel or remake announcement. My emotions can't handle that kind of tease.

I don't see anything in the thread dedicating this thread
to all those cyberpunks
who fight against injustice
and corruption every day
of their lives.

There, that fixes it.

Really hope this game gets a re-release like all Another World and Grim Fandango got. Kojima fans are rabid enough to buy it, right? Just like they ate up the multiple rereleases of MGS2 and 3. At least I did.

Aesnath

I really wish they would just make this dang thing available currently. It is a beast to find. To say nothing of needing to hook up a Sega CD.

I played Snatcher for the first time a week ago. This is probably blasphemous but the other Kojima games I played did nothing for me. I couldn't get into the Metal Gear games I played and, whatever his input was, Castlevania: LOS was a mockery of one of my favorite series. That said, I was able to get a copy recently for a ridiculous price because I helped my local game store with a massive Sega CD purchase they made. I was very pleased with it. Snatcher is a game that oozes style.

How can anyone not love a game that begins with "This story is dedicated to all those cyberpunks who fight against injustice and corruption every day of their lives." When something starts with that you know you're in for a ride. The art and backgrounds are some of the most beautiful I've seen in a game. It's glorious hooked up in RGB. All of the characters are pulled off well. The story is interesting and goes on for the perfect length. It's a bit ridiculous but it's meant to be. The only complaint I had was that it wasn't completely obvious how to trigger a couple events. I'll definitely be picking up a copy of Policenauts sometime.

andymcc

Banned
I bought a copy of SD Snatcher in Japan about 10 years ago for 5000 yen.

I think I sold it for around $250 a few years ago. I miss it.

Top Bottom