• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Warning! Essay) So...why do people say FFX and FF13 are the same?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I've been mulling over making this thread for a while now, because i've been worried that people would not understand my point, but i decided i'd just go for it.

The comparisons of Final Fantasy 10 to 13 are something i hear every time either is brought up, whether in a positive or negative light and i've always been confused by that.

This is because when people bring up the comparisons between them, its usually about some false notion that they are both simply straight lines, or that they both play themselves and thusly are right to be compared.

In my opinion, this could be nowhere further from the truth, and i will attempt to set out some examples of my argument.

1. Sphere Grid Vs Crystarium

Sphere Grid Illustrated here.

Sphere-Grid-FFX-HD.JPG

Crystarium Illustrated here.

On first glance, like the rest of the game, these upgrade systems seem to be the exact same. You move your cursor via a menu system to an icon until it gives you an upgrade. However upon further inspection...

We can see how much more freedom the Sphere grid in particular gives you over the Crystarium.

For example, unlike the Crystarium, which generally is only a single path with a few icons occasionally to the side, essentially forcing you to only gather your movesets in the way the game feels you should, the Sphere Grid gives you complete and utter control over how you choose to upgrade your character, which is expanded in the Expert Sphere Grid setting.

You might say “well the class system of XIII gives you control too! You can choose and upgrade everyone to be any class!”

That is semi correct, however....each skill set is predeterminedly laid out for each character, (more importantly, you are blocked off from even choosing certain classes for a big portion of the game).

And due to the artificial capping of leveling around story based sequences(just so you don't beat the old guy in one hit I suppose), it disallows you from freely experimenting with the other class sets.

Even in the case that you max out each level, its unfortunate that certain abilities are still locked off from certain characters simply based on the fact that they are differentiated.

2.Weapon Tiering

Final Fantasy X Weapon buff menu Illustrated here

Final Fantasy 13 upgrade weapon menu Illustrated here

In Final Fantasy X, you are first given a sword by Wakka which allows you to, among other buffs, perform certain bonuses only associated with that weapon. As you gain weapons, the weapons vary from different afflictions, different stat bonuses and different properties.

Again, on the surface this may seem similar to FF13 where you can, in certain ways, gain access to different types of weaponry that allows you to choose between attack types. However...

Final Fantasy X's system, on top of this 'pick a sword' style of play, also introduced what I like to call the “Variable Mog” system.

With this variable system, as long as there is a empty icon next to the sword, you can essentially add whatever type of affliction or buff you can think of to any weapon you have equipped, regardless of whether or not it is a weapon that already has a buff attached to it.

Indeed, there are even weapons in the game which, among other things, exist for the absolute sole purpose of customizing freely to the player's own desire however they feel it should be done, and the items necessary to customize these weapons are easily found.

Compare that system with the weapon tiered system of Final Fantasy 13

In this system, the ability to flexibly customize your weapons with all kinds of special skillsets was essentially taken away, instead replaced by a more 'streamlined' system in which you buy or get 'ingredients' from battle, and level up your weapons via Souls Style +1 +2 until you hit the maximum level. There are no more properties involved to customize, no way to really build a weapon you feel fits the appropriate moment at a moments notice, just a pure strength and magic number.

There is an addition upgrade path, in which you apply a specific amount of ingredients to a weapon, and it changes into another weapon. However this is a very straightforward process, and essentially takes away your previous build anyway.

3.Character Formation

Final Fantasy X character menu illustrated here

Final Fantasy XIII character menu illustrated here

The character formation in these two games could not even be further apart. For example, once you have a full party in FFX, after Rikku joins, you are automatically fully able to freely change, mix and match, and customize your characters at the tap of a button.

You can trade leaders, you can trade supporters, and you can even do it mid battle, based on what type of back up you need. Unless a party member is dead and gone in the field of battle, there is virtually no penalty for switching out characters on the fly, and if one dies, that's fine, you can simply revive them and continue with as many as you like. You have full control of how your party plays.

In FF13, this is not so. If lighting, or whoever the leader is just happens to get taken out, the battle is over. Period. You absolutely have to protect the leader. This by default introduces stress upon the player because it gives priority to staying alive over creating a balanced unit.

Furthermore, you cannot control all of your party at all times. Yes, it is a consequence of no longer being turn based, however, it takes away full control of the player, and puts it in the hands of the AI in order to help out in the battle.

I don't know how many times I was killed when my dumbass AI party member refused to heal me right when I was dying and instead attacked or just stood there waiting for the gauge to fill up until they feel they can perform the next action.

4.The Aeons versus the Eidolons

The Summons in Final Fantasy 10 are some of the greatest things ever. Being able to blow the absolute fuck out of people with Bahumut? So much fun.

With Final Fantasy 10 in particular, you have the ability to upgrade these Summons at your leisure, not only with Health and MP upgrades, but also with all manners of spells, and special abilities far beyond their intial movesets.

This gives the player agency to customize these creatures to their own desire, and also allows the Aeon to compete in situations that they otherwise would not be able to survive(how would any of the non elementals manage to survive for long without the ability to cast the different tiers of cure for example?)

However, this was all changed with 13, as the summons are a timed thing, with their movesets limited to a certain amount of specific button presses to form attacks against the enemy.

Now this alone would not be so bad. But unlike FFX, which gives Yuna(and thus the player), the absolute control over which summon to call forth in what situation and how, your absolutely stuck with 1 Eidolon per leader character, with a limited moveset and only around 1 summon per battle based on your actual performance.

This in turn dilutes the actual point of summoning in the first place down to simply flashy movesets. If you can stagger your enemies much easier out of your Eidolon than inside of it, is there any real point to such a limited summon that can only be called every once in a while?

(I know i'm leaving out another portion of the Summon equation but that is for another bulletpoint :p)

6.Map design, and actual general game world cohesion.

Final Fantasy X World Map Illustrated here

This is the main part where many detractors seem to get stuck on when they compare X and 13. “Well its just a straight line from one place to the other in both games with cutscenes!” They might say.

In the barest sense of the definition, this is absolutely correct. But again, take a slightly harder look and you'll find many different changes to the landscape in X, which essentially either masks the fact that your being lead to a specific area, or has tons more 'expansion' to it.

In Final Fantasy XIII for example, outside of the Archylte Steppe (which in itself is its own issue but i'll get to that later), every single area in Final Fantasy 13 is a path in which you are essentially walking forward with enemies in your way and virtually no one around but yourself and the straight path to the next destination. Your always facing forward with no real deviation in between.

Compare that to the hub areas of X, many of the temples for example, besaid island, the area outside of Yojimo's cave which have many rooms and areas you can walk into and talk to people, in particular, shops and different areas of civilization, which actually make the world feel more like a place that your staying in and occasionally resting.

It actually makes the game feel more like a journey in a place you can occasionally downtime in instead of a series of rooms that your running one to the next. The Archylte Steppe may be an “open area”, but its still an area in which you are essentially corralled into that you must stay in in order to not see tunnel vision.

Its more or less just a farming zoo, and the developers did nothing to actually mask this fact to the player, as there is nothing inside of it really beyond monsters to fight. Its a huge empty area.

Its simply a worse clone of the Calm Lands, however unlike the Archylte Steppe, there are plenty of other things you can find in the Calm Lands outside of monsters(i'll get to that later).

In terms of general world design as well. In the end game, you essentially have only two choices. Either go back to the Archylte Steppe and fight monsters, or go to Eden(for what purpose I have no idea). And if you choose none you go to the final area.

This is a huge HUGE step back from getting the airship, and having the complete freedom to literally go wherever you want in the world, your fully able to traverse to literally every area you've been in the game, visit any site you feel like, and enjoy your time leveling up your characters and seeing the sights as you please.

In comparison to that, only going back to 2 areas in FF13 is just claustrophobic as all hell, and a huge huge disappointment when you consider what there is actually to do after that which leads us to the final point I have to make here today....

7.ADDITIONAL SUBQUESTS AND SECRET AREAS

I think most of all, what differentiates FFX and FF13 is, among many things, the pure variety of things you can do in FFX that just breaks up the monotony of pure battles and grinding that FF13 makes you go through.

Don't want to fight right now? That's cool, let's play some blitzball and level out our players!

Full level maxxed your characters sphere grid? No worries, there's the secret weapons you can run around and find too!

Tired of the same five summons over and over? That's cool, take a visit into Yojimo's cave and pay him some money, he'll come with you. Go back to the very beginning area via the secret coordinates and get Anima, go to the secret area in the Calm Lands via the Chocobo and get the secret Magus sisters!

You can race chocobos!

Find secret treasures in hidden areas!

Beat secret dungeons and bosses like Omega in the Omega ruins!

Decipher hidden Al Bhed manuscripts!

Max out your overdrives!

Get all the recording spheres!

Go see the farm herder in the Calm Lands and catch every single monster in the world and fight extra secret ones in the arena!

And the list goes on and on and on. Infact, the international version(aka remaster) actually added even more on top of the original game like the Dark Aeons for example.

Compared to that...what does FF13 let you do end game? Fight monsters basically....finish every l'cie quest...which is just fighting a slightly different colored version of another monster...rinse...repeat..ad nauseum.

8.CONCLUSION

For the record, I would never say that anyone who likes any game is dumb or stupid or whatever. But the fact of the matter is, FFX is a completely different experience than FF13 in a majority of ways.

And I don't personally think that treating only the very smallest of similarities as huge mountains of copy paste is really the right thing to do either.

I hope this has helped someone in some way know why there are many who love Final Fantasy X a lot, but go on to consider FF13 a very mediocre production in their personal opinion. The two games in my opinion could not be any further apart in quality.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dénouement;151508348 said:
My main comparisons between the two is that they're both quite linear, have annoying ass characters, and a mediocre plot.

Thats like...the entire series could be fit into that framework.

Mesoian

They really aren't though.

FF10's linearity feels designed. It's basically a road trip.

FF13's linearity feels like a concession to a lack of understanding of how to develop for the platform.

I was not aware this is a common occurrence other than the level up systems being compared.

-Toriyama involvement in both projects
-Story driven with linear level design
-Switching characters/Paradigm shifting is a similar concept
-Leveling up is similar
-Big emphasis on graphics

Maledict

Yeah, I think you are focussing too much on the smaller details and ignoring the big picture.

Ff13 is absolutely and clearly a further evolution from FF10. It has the same structure and the same linearity that other FFs do not. Yes, some of the sub-systems are more complicated and there are better 'pauses' in the linear path with towns and hubs, but ultimately it's a very, very similar structured game. Long ass corridors with fixed battles and one big open area before the end game.

Its really obvious to me that the same designers worked on them both (and didn't on ff12 for example).

legacyzero

Banned
The linearity, maybe?

Other than that, FFX is clearly the better game.

FFX
■ Likable characters.
■ Great story.
■ AMAZING battle system.

FFXIII
■ None of the above.(Arguably)

Hyunashi

I dont really see it. The only similarity, perhaps, is the linearity. The characters, the story, the minigames, the towns - almost everything is better in FFX. So yea I pretty much agree with you.

yeah thank you for this thread. im alway laughing for people bringing the FFX excuse if someone is critizising their beloved FF13.

Its just ridicolous in many Ways.

You know it's funny. In terms of linearity I used to think people were saying that FFX was just as linear as FFXIII as a way to deflect how shitty 13 was, then I played X and I noticed that it almost exactly like 13. I still consider X to be a superior game for other reasons, but the two definitely share a lot of similarities.

The problem with 13 wasn't the linearity it was the lack of towns or hubs or anything really!

In ffx there was tons of places where you can interact with people do sidequets, listen to people talk about the past of spira and so on.

In 13 the game basically lets you walk one long ass corridor with zero npcs to talk to or interact with in any way.

Both games have entirely boring casts of characters save one member (auron and sazh) and that's enough to ruin both games for me.

Inuhanyou

The linearity, maybe?

That is what my essay is trying to show.

FFX may seem to be just like FF13 on very general inspection, and so people may throw out the "Well FFX is just like 13 so i dont know why people hate 13 and love 10?" excuse or the "Well 10 is basically just 13, so they both suck" insult.

But the way the two games go about differing beyond the skin deep comparisons clearly show that FFX is just a completely different level in quality not only in story/characters/plot(which i also think are far better than 13), but in actual game design itself.

The problem with 13 wasn't the linearity it was the lack of towns or hubs or anything really!

In ffx there was tons of places where you can interact with people do sidequets, listen to people talk about the past of spira and so on.

In 13 the game basically lets you walk one long ass corridor with zero npcs to talk to or interact with in any way.

This. It was just so frustrating knowing you wont be able to enter any city in this game, making me want to finish FF13 as fast as possible. Normaly i want to spend many hours in an FF Game and explore every corner

Victrix

*beard*
Lemme fix that FFX Sphere Grid image for you:

(People say they're the same because superficially they both have an extremely linear gameplay path, limited exploration in each aside)

Inuhanyou

It seems there are many people just making one offs on the thread title without actually reading my essay. Please read it guys, i spent a lot of time trying to get my points across.

Even if you disagree, i wanna hear that too.

The linearity, maybe?

FFX
■ Likable characters.
■ Great story.
■ AMAZING battle system.

FFXIII

XIII's battle system destroys X's, its faster, requires more strategy, and isn't comparable to 1980's combat design.

ZangBa

FFX felt more relaxed with good pacing. You learn about the whole world by experiencing it through the journey, and everything makes sense. I always loved how Wakka and Lulu would explain details about the world. FFXIII just feels like you're always rushing through random areas with a nonsensical story that is never explained well with terrible characters that feel like the absolute most generic anime tropes possible.

There are a number of superficial similarities, but as the OP pointed out these tend to fade away upon greater analysis. The Crystarium *looks* at first glance like the Sphere Grid, but is really very different. Eidolons *seem* quite like the Aions in that they take place in battle and fight alongside you/instead of you rather than being one-time attacks, but are actually functionally very different.

The main comparison I've seen, as others have noted, is the accusation of linearity. The primary issue is that FFX's linearity is very carefully designed: it is a journey across Spira from A, to B, to C, etc. The map even shows you this as you move on to new areas in the story, showing the route the characters take. FFXIII, by contrast, essentially functions like a tour of disconnected set pieces that seem to have very little, if any, sense of genuine continuity to them. Thus, while both are actually similarly linear, FFX's linearity feels in many ways natural while FFXIII's does not. FFXIII also removes the possibility of backtracking, which was one thing that made FFX feel more coherent as a world.

You could make a thematic analysis about the FFXIII characters being essentially pawns of higher powers blown hither and thither, only ultimately grasping their capacity for action, versus FFX's journey of self-discovery that, while dictated in a sense by higher powers, is very much something born of Yuna's own drive and desire to help her people, but I think that would be giving FFXIII's design a bit too much credit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I see FFXIII as a streamlined version of FFX, the few main things I liked FFXIII over FFX were the battle system (I liked mine more simplified with quirks) and the Archylte Steppe over Calm Lands.

The main difference is that X was set in a living, breathing world where you didn't have to read through an encyclopedia to figure of the history.

This. It was just so frustrating knowing you wont be able to enter any city in this game, making me want to finish FF13 as fast as possible. Normaly i want to spend many hours in an FF Game and explore every corner

Yeah there's just no break to the formula, it's really atrocious at times. Zero variety!

Also whoever made the comparison between crystarium and sphere grid is beyond ignorant. Crystarium doesn't offer even a fragment of the customization of the sphere grid! And I'm not even talking about the expert sphere grid yet. Urgh!

JayEH

The linearity, maybe?

FFX
■ Likable characters.
■ Great story.
■ AMAZING battle system.

FFXIII

XIII has an AMAZINGER battle system.

No way, you can auto battle most enemies in the game and put in zero effort.

True but once the battle systems comes together (like 30 hours in...) it changes significantly.

Hyunashi

XIII has an AMAZINGER battle system.

True but once the battle systems comes together (like 30 hours in...) it changes significantly.

Well, to me, if the auto battle feature was removed then yeah, it would have been the most amazing aspect of FF13. However, the fact that you can auto battle for most encounters (which is what I did in the end in an effort to finish the game faster) does not scream that it is vastly superior to the one in FFX
I should also mention that I really liked the CTB and have most recently played FFX so the nostalgia is strong

edit: eh nvm

I generally hear most people say the FFX is generally better in every way.... And from what I've heard about it, I agree. (and the bit that I played)

I personally enjoy the battle system of FFXIII much more than any other FF game I've played though. Feels much more fast pace and dynamic. The harder battles always have me on my toes. I've never felt more engaged in a FF battle than I did in XIII tbh.

Even before the whole thing opens up 30 hours in or whatever, it's very fun. I don't really completely get the auto battle complaint. Even with that, there's the paradigm customization and switching + the active animations that keep everything entertaining for me. I can't even play older FFs anymore. I just don't see what's more engaging and fun about the slow paced attack/magic spam. I feel like FFXIII battles are much more dynamic. That's why I couldn't get to far into FFX. I liked the characters and world a good amount up to the point that I played, but I cannot get into those battle systems anymore.

My main comparisons between the two is that they're both quite linear, have annoying ass characters, and a mediocre plot.

FF X has an amazing background, wolrd building and some genuily good characters.

FF XIII has none of these. None.

XIII is way more linear, no side quests, stupid useless aeons, very linear and limited progression grid.

XIII is nowhere near the same class or scope and quality of X.

jg4xchamp

So it's a Final Fantasy game.

Anyway love the op, blows my mind some people defend FF13's battle system of all things too. It's the shallowest battle engine they've created, shit it barely is a combat engine. You auto select and paradigm shift, the game does the managing for you. Barely any tactics necessary, such a shitty game.

BPoole

Lemme fix that FFX Sphere Grid image for you:

(People say they're the same because superficially they both have an extremely linear gameplay path, limited exploration in each aside)

What about those special spheres that let you teleport to any previously unlocked node on the map? I remember using those to get skills for characters when they were too far out of reach.

Edit:

Return Sphere - Warp to any node previously activated by the player.
Friend Sphere - Warp to an ally's spot on the grid.
Teleport Sphere - Warp to any activated node on the grid.
Warp Sphere - Warp to any spot on the grid.

Rainer70

I'm gonna have to agree with the OP when it comes to the difference in linearity. XIII is literally only running forward, like that's it. I stopped playing after 4 hours because I was still only holding 'up' on the analog stick. The streamlining of pretty much every aspect of the game turned me off pretty early.

X offers way more exploration. Even if the paths you run in are linear and narrow, there were often divergent paths leading you to some sort of loot, interesting NPC, al bhed books, etc.

Veldin

I guess I'm missing the widespread belief that they're exactly the same. At most I've seen the notion that they share similar design philosophies and structure.

No way, you can auto battle most enemies in the game and put in zero effort.

I've done this in every single Final Fantasy game ever made. Most common enemies are not a threat.

A boss in most of the FF games are dealt with a pretty basic strategy "Melee fighter attack, White mage cure, Black Mage fire" that strategy will beat just about any Final Fantasy game as long as your the proper level. XIII doesnt work like that, you are constantly swapping between 6 different classes and you have to find your own combinations that you feel are useful to this battle.

And you have to be quick about it. XIII has the best combat in the series but unfortunately has the worst level design, most repetitive game design, and the worst story telling.

NogibTC

Banned
I think the OP needs to realize though that both X and XIII had the same director, producer, and scenario writer. That is why they feel so much alike! Stop trying to find so many minute differences when they share so much more in common with one another. :p

JoJoSono

Banned
Because FFXIII is FFX without the cleverness. Without the hiding.

Look at your skill system.

The original sphere grid is very linear. Yes it's large and eventually you have many path ways, but thanks to the sphere locks characters progress on a very set path only later are you allowed more options.

XIII does the same thing and just as artificially as the sphere locks. It locks the progression based on story almost just like the sphere locks anyway. Like X, you are more encouraged to finish the character's perferd skills as leveling up the other paradigms takes more. Just like unlocking other character's job in the sphere grid takes a bit more effort.

In the end, they result in kind of the same progression. Characters will be best at specific things and may have more options depending on how much you put in.

So really, XIII's skill system is the same only with less fluff. Which kind of describes the entire game compared to X.

I mean I don't think when people say they are the same game they mean literately the same game. I think they mean it as there are some very similar aspects. There most certainly are.

Yes, X becomes more free because of the airship. Still, dosen't changed the fact that the level structure and design is very much from the X school thought. Completely ending in a very Calm Lands esque area at almost the same pace in the story.

The summons do also seem very similar. working as stand ends for your party members and a way to achieve faster and stronger gauge breaks. Which again seems comparable to what they would do in X. Be a good effect on that games CTB.

It's just very obvious this game is made by the same people, just maybe not executing it for a number of reasons as well. I still like XIII a lot. It looks and sounds great. The battle system is really fun. The story is ok.....cool ideas. I also like X and consider it my favorite FF. So it's not that shocking that I like XIII.

I've done this in every single Final Fantasy game ever made. Most common enemies are not a threat.

A boss in most of the FF games are dealt with a pretty basic strategy "Melee fighter attack, White mage cure, Black Mage fire" that strategy will beat just about any Final Fantasy game as long as your the proper level. XIII doesnt work like that, you are constantly swapping between 6 different classes and you have to find your own combinations that you feel are useful to this battle.

And you have to be quick about it. XIII has the best combat in the series but unfortunately has the worst level design, most repetitive game design, and the worst story telling.
Exactly what I think. This "zero effort" nonsense sounds ridiculous to me when in most other FF games, you're just selecting attack or magic with "no effort." I mean how exactly does that take more effort? Through the main game at least, as I haven't fought all of the super bosses in the ones i've played (although I do hear those ones take more strategy, but so did the ones in FFXIII)

FFXIII's battle system had me way more engaged with the paradigm system and setting up my classes and is actually the reason I can safely say I loved my experience with the game even despite all of the glaring flaws. It just gave me the feeling of a more dynamic, action packed, battle that actually had me on my toes, unlike other FFs I've played.

FFX
■ AMAZING battle system.

You got one right at least.

Also the Sphere grid extremely linear, they just did a better way of hiding it compared to the Crystarium did where you can clearly tell that they cared more about it being pretty in FF13 and not trying to look deep or involving.

Final Fantasy 10 is a better game overall, apparently I need to go back and touch 13 again though since the combat system is better than what I played apparently but both of the plots are horrible. There are some likable characters in 10 at least meanwhile everyone in FF13 are all cunts and at a bare minimum idiots.

westman

You are absolutely right. Still, I do believe they are closer to each other than to other mainline/numbered Final Fantasies, so saying they are the same is more of an exaggeration than an outright falsehood.

Also: It's the Archylte Steppe, not the Archetype Steppe.

Inuhanyou

^ Thank you for the correction will fix immediately

I'd like to tackle the "sphere grid is just as linear" argument. If the sphere grid linear like the Crystarium, you would not have the option with the expert sphere grid to literally go wherever you want provided there are no locks in the way.

If you actually look at the board at the beginning of the game for example, your only level locked off of certain areas through the level keys, far less than to be fully constricting.

On the whole ,the paths you can take in order to go from there are still far far more flexible toward players who know how they want to level up immediately than the crystarium in general. And that's with the general sphere grid applied.

On the whole ,the paths you can take in order to go from there are still far far more flexible toward players who know how they want to level up immediately than the crystarium in general. And that's with the general sphere grid applied.

I think that's because the Crystarium was more like this one long spiraling path. At least from what I saw.

I didn't really think so before but amazingly your post has convinced me they are the same. Especially those screenshots. And the way you keep saying 'these may appear extremely similar at first glance but *extremely minor difference* means they are totally completely different'

Hopefully your chosen career path isn't anything to do with public debate.

Top Bottom