• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: PS4 for $275 w/ Trade-In Promotion (PS3 or X360)

Rymuth

https://games.yahoo.com/news/buy-ps4-275-194900387.html

On Tuesday, the company announced a new trade-in promotion whereby you can get a brand new PS4 for only $275

Now through March 1, GameStop shoppers that trade in a PlayStation 3 (120 GB or greater) or an Xbox 360 (250 GB of greater) toward the purchase of a new PS4 will receive $125 in store credit. That means you can pick up a standard $400 PS4 for only $275.

You're really getting a new PS4 and a copy of The Last of Us Remastered for $275, as all PS4s now come with the game. This deal is valid at all GameStop US stores.

Seems like a decent deal, but considering my primary motivations for buying the system are The Witcher 3 and Persona 5, I'm wondering if I should just wait until those games are a bit closer to release...

Rymuth

It actually does come with a box, it's the tissues I'm not sure about.

I guess "PlayStation 3 (120 GB or greater)" means fat models are excluded and they won't take one with an upgraded hard drive.
Hmmm...that's an interesting question. Who here works for Gamestop that could answer this for us? Wario64?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well I haven't touched my old 360 for over a year and I doubt I will any time in the future either. Though I'm not about to give up my PS3 since I still have to finish ToX2 and ToZ when it comes out and I did plan on getting P5 for it as well, but now I guess I'll go for the PS4. Though I feel like I should hold out for the inevitable slim model/second gen PS4.

Corgi

Banned
hope Bamco announces Tales of Zesteria PS4 before march.

its literally the only reason why i still have the ps3 out now that i wrapped up MGS games.

When you think about it though... it's $125 credit but I lose access to my literally thousands of dollars worth of digital, physical, and PS+ games... Not really worth it unless you really never plan on playing your old games again.

Metfanant

Anyone know what they are giving now for slightly older PS3 or 360 models? I've got a friend looking for a deal on a PS4

Elandyll

Banned
Darn ... I have a PS3 250Gb but had to replace the HDD with a 500Gb after it crapped out.

I don't see Gamestop refusing to do the trade, but then I would be unable to play my PS3 games... Or use my Harmony remote to control my BR player/ Netflix box then (Sooonnnyyyy!! :shakefist: )

Mmmh ... Guess I have some time to decide though.

Find old laptop
Remove HDD from laptop
Install in PS3
???
Profit

Although you might make more money if you find a buyer for a backwards compatible PS3, who knows what those things go for with a larger HDD.

The "120Gb and above" is not a random HDD size choice, it means they (probably) won't take a Fat PS3. Could be wrong though.

Elandyll

Banned
Isn't best buy offering 150.00 today only?

Don't know if they have a $150 offer, but the $125 offer is indeed valid until March 1st:

http://www.gamestop.com/trade

* LEGAL - PS3/XBOX 360 TRADE TOWARD NEW PS4

Credit must be applied toward the purchase of a new PS4. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 2/9/15 through 3/1/15

Fuck that, I'm sure I could make a lot more money off of Craigslist. I wouldn't sell my PS3 anyway though considering the lack of BC in the PS4.

ViciousDS

Banned
Find old laptop
Remove HDD from laptop
Install in PS3
???
Profit

Although you might make more money if you find a buyer for a backwards compatible PS3, who knows what those things go for with a larger HDD.

custom drive trade ins don't work, I had a 500GB PS3 slim and they look at the system information to see if it falls under 120GB or 250GB. Only the super slim comes factory 500GB if I'm aware, I remember them docking me money because they had to mark it as damaged or some shit and send it off to get "refurbished". It was considered used defective or damaged. You lose like $20-$40

Are there any other trade-in deals for trading in the PS3 besides Gamestop? I'm going to get a second PS4 by trading in my PS3, but I need to know if they're are better deals at other places before trading my system in.

Jag

Are there any other trade-in deals for trading in the PS3 besides Gamestop? I'm going to get a second PS4 by trading in my PS3, but I need to know if they're are better deals at other places before trading my system in.

Doesn't look like this is still valid. I'm only seeing a trade in for an Xbox One now.

Any other current PS3 to PS4 trade in deals?

Jag

Anyone know if Amazon will take the trade in with a modded hard drive? I popped in a 500GB drive and don't really feel like swapping it back out for the old 120GB that it came with.

Tempting, but that would be a pretty big mistake on my part. Don't really feel like trading in my PS3 and instantly losing access to about 100 of my games. I'll just cough up the extra $125 when I decide that it's time for a PS4.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seems like a crap deal to me. My old systems and the games they play are worth MUCH more to me.

well you aren't really the target audience for these type of deals...

people who will jump in on this are the ones who don't care about replaying their old games, sell their games once they are done, buy disks and not digital, etc.

RPGCrazied

I already have one, but it would have been an easier decision if the PS4 played PS3 games. For someone with a giant PS3 collection would be skeptical to trade in the system for the new one.

Top Bottom