• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'New' 3DS XL is what the 3DS XL Should Have Been Originally

Lucifon

I received my Majora's Mask Edition N3DS XL yesterday. I've only played around with it for about an hour but it was apparent very quickly that this feels like the device the 3DS XL should have been in the first place.

The experience is overall much smoother thanks to the slightly faster internals, the store loads quicker, the home button brings up the home much quicker. It just operates like it 'should'.

The new 3D head tracking is genuinely brilliant. I had that slider on the whole time and it feels normal, it actually feels like a useful feature now rather than a throwaway thing you use for a few minutes when you first get the system then never again. Moving my head or the console and the 3D just stays clearly visible. Again, it just acts how the 3D should have been in the first place, it actually works.

Comparing my 3DS XL with my N3DS XL side by side I also noticed the screen on the N3DS looks improved. The colours are more vibrant and the screen is brighter even on identical settings. This is an area I hadn't heard anyone speak about, so it was a nice little surprise.

The only area I'm underwhelmed with is the C-Stick. It has zero feedback due to it barely moving at all; you need to really push it to get results (granted I've only tested it with Resident Evil Revelations). I expected it to be super sensitive, but it's stiff, inaccurate and a less than ideal solution for a second stick.

Overall I'm really impressed with the New 3DS. If you love your 3DS it's well worth upgrading, especially if you're selling your old console. If you're a casual 3DS owner the jump probably isn't worth it. But the best way to describe the change is that it feels like the device the 3DS XL should have been in the first place...

Personally never understood why the XL didn't have a second stick from the beginning. Instead they released an add on. They could have had a 2nd stick on the XL, then the 2DS and then when the new3DS are released, it would have been default and more games would support it by now.

totally agree.

I never used 3D on the 3DS XL, the effect has always felt broken to me. Now we really have a nice 3D you can play you games with.

Personally never understood why the XL didn't have a second stick from the beginning. Instead they released an add on. They could have had a 2nd stick on the XL, then the 2DS and then when the new3DS are released, it would have been default and more games would support it by now.

Me neither.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
XL makes sense as a larger alternative to the base model. Making the original XL sport more features than the original model would have been a bad mistake, especially when the original XL was released so soon after the first model.

NotLiquid

I think same can be said for a lot of hardware revisions. GBA SP's backlight alone was a godsend and the subsequent DS iterations were miles ahead of their predecessors (though I will admit that Lite was really flimsy in terms of hardware build).

Haven't gotten my n3DS yet but I do get the sense that if Nintendo launched with that console, it would have had an easier first few months. But I suppose sometimes you gotta dive in head first before you realize what needs fixing.

Wild speculation regarding both the idea of newxl as regular xl and just regular xl with two sticks:
Being too expensive nearly kept the 3ds family from getting off the ground in the first place. More radical revision = bigger price gap between regular model and xl = fear that people would ignore the hypothetical super-xl just like they did the original release of the system pre-ambassador price drop. It wouldn't have stopped the very price-sensitive customers from purchasing the cheaper version, but I'd imagine that Nintendo would have been sad to see a revision linger on the shelves after all the work it would take to bring out a new model.

Or alternatively, they were afraid of pissing off people who just bought a regular 3ds with a new flagship model that felt like a replacement too early on. Granted, this could still happen in our current actual reality if good content gets released exclusively for n3ds.

Or, no one thought of making a small hardware upgrade until later. They just all took it for granted that the xl would literally be the 3ds but larger. Normally I wouldn't leave this on the table as a possible option, but Nintendo has been really good at bad assumptions on more than one occasion.

About all I can think of, unless they planned the iterative upgrade for the n3ds from the very beginning.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
definitely, it's a great upgrade over the original. The smooth loading times are my most loved feature

xevis

Banned
Nintendo made the right call with the OG 3DS XL. It would have been crazy to split the userbase with a new model that had better hardware and different control schemes. Especially so soon after the launch of the original.

BriGuy

But is the new 3DS what the new 3DS should be? I can't justify its asking price for what it does, especially when Nintendo's true handheld successor could only be a year or so away.

Hellraider

Don't beat yourself up, nobody does.

vanty

Same thing as people who say the Wii Remote Plus or whatever it's called should have been the controller from day one. Technology advances over time so things get cheaper and smaller and stuff. Maybe the cstick could have been there at launch and ZL and ZR obviously could but the other improvements were probably too expensive.

The cstick works fine when used as a camera control in the MH4U and Codename STEAM demos. I don't know how it is for aiming since I don't own any such games.

Kathian

Banned
Not really. Makes sense to bring additional controls once the power is juiced. Not enough games ever used the CCP tbh and this is just bout providing the hardware when it becomes profitable to do so tbh.

18-Volt

Miyamoto thought that second stick was old news and wanted everyone to use motion sensor instead.

KainXVIII

New 3ds (or XL) does not cramp hands (and hurt by sharp edges) like original? And scratching screen issues was fixed?

I think the OG XL was a good idea to not split the fanbase. I am mostly disappointed how the top cover plate was designed in the new model. Should have been just like the regular.

jooso

GBA SP was what the GBA should've been.
DS Lite was what the DS should've been.
New 3DS XL was what the 3DS XL should've been.

No one should buy the first iteration of any Nintendo handheld. They always release better models every few years to keeps profits high and the system fresh. I always complain and I always buy the new models, because I'm an impatient idiot. But this time I see no real reason to upgrade, even less than with the DSi.

Can you still use the add-on stick if the little nub aint doin it for ya?
Not for the new model since the charge port is located different and the new model is a bit bigger bazel.
CPP still feels better overall.

2 minor things I'm disappointed they didn't fix:
- only 3 preset wifi access points. That's an upper limit that can be annoying if you tend to travel.
- download management as a background task while playing is still MIA.
For all the crap Sony gets, they do downloads well on Vita.

2 minor things I'm disappointed they didn't fix:
- only 3 preset wifi access points. That's an upper limit that can be annoying if you tend to travel.
- download management as a background task while playing is still MIA.

Lucifon

After playing Majora's Mask last night I must admit the C-Stick works great for camera control. For aiming on Resident Evil however it didn't feel good at all. I suppose it's up to how the developers implement and fine-tune it.

I also forgot to mention the sound quality on the N3DS XL is significantly improved over the old XL which was underwhelming from day 1 in the audio department. They're clearer and louder, as it should have been!

IzzyF3

I kinda feel like all the features in the new 3ds are all features that should have been in the original XL update. But this is the nature of portable electronics these days though. There will always be a new version soon.

GBA SP was what the GBA should've been.
DS Lite was what the DS should've been.
New 3DS XL was what the 3DS XL should've been.

No one should buy the first iteration of any Nintendo handheld. They always release better models every few years to keeps profits high and the system fresh. I always complain and I always buy the new models, because I'm an impatient idiot. But this time I see no real reason to upgrade, even less than with the DSi.

Agreed, but I'm ok with my regular XL, I feel we are near the end of 3DS life cycle anyway

DarkTom

I didn't have a 3DS and I have a day one new 3DS. So I agree 100% with you, now it's a nice device.

I got a 2DS last summer for cheap only to play Pokemon and maybe on or two other games then because I felt the price of the other models were too much for what it was.

gconsole

Because Nintendo game doesn't require it. And Nintendo design hardware base mainly from their own game. If Monster Hunter is not so popular, maybe we won't have that until now.

Xbudz

Still feels like a stop-gap device to me. We'll see a new Nintendo handheld within a couple years. This is almost as if Sega actually released Sega Neptune instead of just 32X.
hw5mAKc.jpg

Top Bottom