• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft's code system so completely awful?

Warning: Semi-rant ahead.

Why is Microsoft's code system so completely fucked? Every time I get a one month Xbox Live Gold code it doesn't work. I know a lot of others have run into the same roadblock.

The latest example of this was last night, when I (FINALLY) received my one month of Gold for buying Master Chief Collection (fuck this, too). I tried entering the code via the message that was sent to me, manually using the redeem a code system on my Xbox, AND on the online hub and none of these options made it work.

No big deal, I thought. I can just contact MS via chat and they'll manually add it to my account. Right? Wrong. They can't do that.

Apparently the reason why I couldn't add the account is because I bought my existing 12-month membership using a credit card that I no longer have on the account (even though I have a new one on the account) and I turned off auto-renew. What kind of absolutely senseless policy is this? Even if you have a credit card associated with the account, if it's not the same card you bought your original membership with, you can't add more time to your account.

The rep I was chatting with said that the only way I could get it to work is for me to have them cancel my existing Gold membership and then give me individual 3 month codes to add back to my subscription (I had nine months remaining to the day). After some back and forth, I reluctantly agreed thinking it would be an easy process.

But no. I add one 3 month subscription via a code, but the remaining two I'm sent don't work. Neither does the one month code I was sent for MCC. I told this to the rep and he said, "You'll have to try it on your Xbox." I'm currently at work for the day, so as it stands right now, I'm out six months of Live.

I'm nearly positive that when I get home and enter them manually, they won't work and I'll need to call them back and explain the whole situation and go through it again. Luckily I have a transcript of the conversation, so I can refer to things specifically.

And this was all to add one more month of Gold to my account. I regret this decision -- definitely not worth my time to go through all of this for like $6 worth of value.

So, my question is: Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone heard of this policy before? Anyone found a solution?

Duxxy3

Never ran into that. I buy the cards online, get the code in an email and copy and paste the code into the redeem section on xbox.com. I'd fuck it up if I put it in manually with a controller.

U2NUMB

I have entered hundreds of codes over the years and the only time I ever have a problem I entered it wrong. But I am sure everyones experience is different.

Cider X

I've used Live for 9 years and I've never come across a code that didn't work. And I've gotten them from all over the world.

The TMCC Gold was Auto-Applied-no idea why you got a code.

Also, maybe you're poor at putting these codes in correctly? I buy on cards and have relatively poor vision and usually simply type it in first time.

Never ran into that. I buy the cards online, get the code in an email and copy and paste the code into the redeem section on xbox.com. I'd fuck it up if I put it in manually with a controller.

Right, but the problem is that you can't add any more time to your existing subscription in any way (online, on the Xbox manually, etc.) if you have turned off auto-renew and don't currently have the same credit card that you used to buy your original subscription. This makes no sense to me. Why shouldn't I be able to add time if I have an active credit card associated with my account?

Also, maybe you're poor at putting these codes in correctly? I buy on cards and have relatively poor vision and usually simply type it in first time.

I tried putting them in manually, copy/pasting, everything and I get error codes.

The rep said it's a policy, though he didn't know why the codes he sent me weren't working online.

JaggedSac

How much of a sub do you have lined up? There is a limit on the number of months you can have pre-paid. Something like 2 or 3 years. I ran into this issue last year.

jediyoshi

Why is Microsoft's code system so completely fucked? Every time I get a one month Xbox Live Gold code it doesn't work. I know a lot of others have run into the same roadblock.

Now think about all the code redemptions that have worked completely normally.

NeOak

I have entered hundreds of codes over the years and the only time I ever have a problem I entered it wrong. But I am sure everyones experience is different.

I've used Live for 9 years and I've never come across a code that didn't work. And I've gotten them from all over the world.

Same here .

+1

Never heard of this. I have a paypal account linked and also used codes I get online. No problems. I've used my phone/xbox.com/console.

watership

I don't doubt your having issues, but in the 10+ years I've been using Xbox codes, I have had 1 problem. I don't have friends who've had problems either, outside of promo codes giving out via social media that end up being used already.

It wasn't for me. I got a message last night with the code for one month free. I've just redeemed it now.

I've put in plenty of codes and never had an issue that wasn't from me mistyping it. I do wish they would use the QR codes more frequently on Xbox one though.

Lone Wolf

Right, but the problem is that you can't add any more time to your existing subscription in any way (online, on the Xbox manually, etc.) if you have turned off auto-renew and don't currently have the same credit card that you used to buy your original subscription. This makes no sense to me. Why shouldn't I be able to add time if I have an active credit card associated with my account?

I tried putting them in manually, copy/pasting, everything and I get error codes.

The rep said it's a policy, though he didn't know why the codes he sent me weren't working online.

I do not have this issue

Well, fuck.

Now I go back and try the codes and they miraculously work. Maybe there was some delay in them being activated or something on MS's end. I feel like an asshole. Sorry guys.

Mods, please close 'er up.

Wait you got a code for the mcc that you had to manually enter? My message said it was automatically added, and I checked and the subscription was extended to may.

Now I have entered dozens of codes myself and the only time they don't work is when I typed in wrong. This could be your problem, something easy to miss type like an O instead of a 0, or not identifying the Q properly were my common mistakes.

Other than that I have never heard of codes altogether not working unless they were already used.

specdot

I ran into a similar issue during the 360 days. Microsoft support was not helpful at all. My 360 ended up red ringing a WEEK after my 3 year warranty was up and needless to say, they didn't care much for my broken system. Never bought an Xbox again and I'm pretty much done with that Eco system.

Warning: Semi-rant ahead.

The latest example of this was last night, when I (FINALLY) received my one month of Gold for buying Master Chief Collection (fuck this, too). I tried entering the code via the message that was sent to me, manually using the redeem a code system on my Xbox, AND on the online hub and none of these options made it work.

No big deal, I thought. I can just contact MS via chat and they'll manually add it to my account. Right? Wrong. They can't do that.

Apparently the reason why I couldn't add the account is because I bought my existing 12-month membership using a credit card that I no longer have on the account (even though I have a new one on the account) and I turned off auto-renew. What kind of absolutely senseless policy is this? Even if you have a credit card associated with the account, if it's not the same card you bought your original membership with, you can't add more time to your account.

The rep I was chatting with said that the only way I could get it to work is for me to have them cancel my existing Gold membership and then give me individual 3 month codes to add back to my subscription (I had nine months remaining to the day). After some back and forth, I reluctantly agreed thinking it would be an easy process.

But no. I add one 3 month subscription via a code, but the remaining two I'm sent don't work. Neither does the one month code I was sent for MCC. I told this to the rep and he said, "You'll have to try it on your Xbox." I'm currently at work for the day, so as it stands right now, I'm out six months of Live.

I'm nearly positive that when I get home and enter them manually, they won't work and I'll need to call them back and explain the whole situation and go through it again. Luckily I have a transcript of the conversation, so I can refer to things specifically.

And this was all to add one more month of Gold to my account. I regret this decision -- definitely not worth my time to go through all of this for like $6 worth of value.

So, my question is: Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone heard of this policy before? Anyone found a solution?

I feel you OP. I have like 6 Xbox Live Gold cards. Some are 14 days, some are a month and one is a 3 months. I can't do shit with them right now and it sucks. The rep i talked to said i need to wait for my subscription to expire before using them.

It's very stupid if you ask. It's freakin Microsoft, how can they not make these things easy to manage...

Derpyduck

Banned
Only issue I ever had with codes was a few times the 30 day XBL codes that would come with a game or new console would say they failed to apply when I entered them on the console itself, but then I'd get an email stating it was added. MS has issues with the account/payment system for sure though. They've known since July 2013 that users can't buy Xbox 360 games on the web-based store with credit already on their account and they've done absolutely nothing to fix that. It's one of those issues that Major, Albert, and Phil magically ignore when you ask them about it on Twitter.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The only thing I dont like about them is that they are 25 digits long, too long. Otherwise, never had an issue entering them.

Zimmy68

I remember Larry Hyrb (sp?) making a big deal on how code entry is a thing of the past and you just hold your card up to the Kinect.

Well, I have put in about 10 codes since I got the Xbox One on launch and I don't remember a single card having the QR code included.

What a fail.

Why not make it like Apple? Hold the code up to the screen and the Kinect OCR's it.

I remember Larry Hyrb (sp?) making a big deal on how code entry is a thing of the past and you just hold your card up to the Kinect.

Well, I have put in about 10 codes since I got the Xbox One on launch and I don't remember a single card having the QR code included.

What a fail.

Why not make it like Apple? Hold the code up to the screen and the Kinect OCR's it.
Every physical game I bought that had gold it dlc with it came with a qr code which worked perfectly.

Aren't these complications a result of the 3 day, 14 day, 1 month codes being "trials"? I thought the.point of them was to get new players in the Gold ecosystem or entice those who had let their subscription lapse to return.

Aren't these complications a result of the 3 day, 14 day, 1 month codes being "trials"? I thought the.point of them was to get new players in the Gold ecosystem or entice those who had let their subscription lapse to return.

Not all 1 month subs are trials. But you cant add a trial to a paid membership for whatever reason.

I feel you OP. I have like 6 Xbox Live Gold cards. Some are 14 days, some are a month and one is a 3 months. I can't do shit with them right now and it sucks. The rep i talked to said i need to wait for my subscription to expire before using them.

It's very stupid if you ask. It's freakin Microsoft, how can they not make these things easy to manage...

Huh, codes for one month and above stack.

I know this as I added two three month and four one month codes to my account a few weeks ago...

malfcn

Never had a problem. And there were MCC codes? I thought I had a month tacked on automatically. Now I'll check.

The only thing I dont like about them is that they are 25 digits long, too long. Otherwise, never had an issue entering them.

Thank god for Kinect and QR Codes.

Never had a problem. And there were MCC codes? I thought I had a month tacked on automatically. Now I'll check.
The Halo codes were automatically applied... and if they weren't they would have been embedded into the message and could have been applied to your account with one button press like every other code

Never had any issues, none of my friends / family have ever had any issues with codes that I know of.

Putting on my tin foil hat, your declaration that you got given a code for the MCC delay (while everyone else had it auto-applied) makes me think the entire post is extremely suspect. Any proof, OP?

Anion

I'm actually surprised. I never had this issue. Hopefully it gets resolved for you, cause that seems utterly annoying

cackhyena

Only time I've ever had a problem with their codes is when I fuck up a letter or number. Sometimes I feel I should be compensated but I don't wanna make waves, nah mean?

malfcn

Thank god for Kinect and QR Codes.

The Halo codes were automatically applied... and if they weren't they would have been embedded into the message and could have been applied to your account with one button press like every other code

So some had it automatically added? Hm.

For me, this turned out to be an issue of the codes being sent out prior to activation.

I was able to use two of the Halo codes today to extend my subscription by two months.

Top Bottom