• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Fast and Furious 9’ Moved Back a Year to 2020

norm9

What’s everyone’s beef with The Rock? (As in the actors on the set not us)

Dude saved the franchise no one really gave a shit about F&F till 5 with The Rock and he’s been killing it as Hobbs ever since

He was great in 5, but he got too big of a role in the series I think, sidelining the others.

Rock was hardly in 7 and had to be pushed for 8 because of the obvious hole left with Paul being gone and the boneheaded decision to kill off Han and Giselle in 6/3+7.The cast was looking honestly thin with characters you can actually build a dramatic arc off of since Tyrese and Luda’s characters are comic relief and sidekicks.

Anyway, I’ve lost alll interest in this franchise outside of seeing what stupid stunt or setpiece they’ve cooked up so I’m fine with an extra year wait. 5/6 will always be the peak of this series.

number11

The Rock was great in 5 in that he was just a bad ass agent.. but I hate how he’s just turning into the same charachter The Rock always plays in every movie he’s in lately.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Getting a sequel done in less than two years from now seemed crazy. A three year gap makes more sense. I wonder if that Statham/Rocko spin-off is still going down.

F8 is still the most fun I've had in the theaters this year.
4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were each released just 2 years apart, and in the case of 7 that was due to Walker's death (it was originally just one year), so not that crazy :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nothing in this series will ever top Fast 5 which was just a fun ass movie to watch. Screw all these people and their ego clashes.

KissVibes

Banned
What's everyone's beef with The Rock? (As in the actors on the set not us)

Dude saved the franchise no one really gave a shit about F&F till 5 with The Rock and he's been killing it as Hobbs ever since

He isn't as big of a draw as people like to think, yet gets labeled as a savior of the franchise and has somehow built up a reputation as a major box office draw even if his prior films don't paint the same picture.

He jumped into a franchise that was on a huge upward swing and while he adds to the overall ensemble, his growing role is somewhat suffocating the other characters. Dropping him wouldn't really lose a ton.

Is 2020 the year when a neural network can resurrect Paul Walker and leave actors unemployed forever?
Edit: Does this mean the neural netkork would have to watch all F&F over and over again? Because that sounds like my own version of purgatory.

He jumped into a franchise that was on a huge upward swing and while he adds to the overall ensemble, his growing role is somewhat suffocating the other characters. Dropping him wouldn't really lose a ton.

Yeah, with The Rock's pesky enjoyableness and charisma out of the way, we could finally get back to the stories and characters that really matter. Like Tyrese, being loud and argumentative. Or Ludacris... and his... computers. Ramsay and her... well, I guess she does computers, too. Michelle Rodriguez and her reaction shots while driving cars. And who could forget the human manifestation of raw acting talent that is Vin Diesel?

The minute The Rock goes I am out. Rock/Statham buddy cops can't come soon enough.

The family is thinning out and Clint Jr. and Missandei aren’t doing much to fill the boots left by the departed members. I love the FF movies, but I don’t know if I care without Brian, Han, and Gisele. Sure theres Statham and The Rock, but unless they figure out this beef with Vin, it seems like they’ll be cordoned away from the main cast.

jdstorm

Banned
Hopefully waiting for Chris Hemsworth to be availiable post avengers #BringBackElenaAndHanAndGisselle

Ps Losing The Rock would be bad as he is replacement Brian. Losing Statham/Evans/Russell/Eastwood/Mirren/Theron would just be jetisioning dead weight.

Its hard to make it all about Family when the only "Family" in the films are the guys that murdered Han/Giselle.

The F&F films really miss Mia.

CryptiK

Tyrese is apparently a giant piece of shit with whats been happening with his ex wife, so yeah I'm with the Rock on this one.

norm9

The family is thinning out and Clint Jr. and Missandei aren’t doing much to fill the boots left by the departed members. I love the FF movies, but I don’t know if I care without Brian, Han, and Gisele. Sure theres Statham and The Rock, but unless they figure out this beef with Vin, it seems like they’ll be cordoned away from the main cast.

It doesn't help that they keep going bigger and bigger which makes it difficult to get the familial stuff in the movie to relate/root for them.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
DLWZYW9VYAAHDWI.jpg

Holy shit. I thought this was fake.... but it's not.

I was a huge fan of the franchise, but man I thought F8 was a huge miss. It just didn't grab me at all. I like the Rock, but I don't think he entirely fits in a major role with this franchise. Maybe Vin will extact another Riddick movie in the interim, the last one was actually pretty cool.

kevin1025

Banned

Haha, sore over a billion dollar franchise bumping back a year. The filming date will be in mid-to-late 2018, I'm sure he'll be fine. Jump onto one of the sixty Transformers movies coming, Bay will probably hook him up again. Looking at his filmography, it almost looks like he goes for the biggest, less frequent projects rather than jumping on anything during the gap times.

I'm cool with Johnson getting a Hobbs only movie, though having Statham in there would have been real good if Tyrese is right in him not coming along.

Not sure if I'm more disappointed in having to wait til 2020 for the actual movie or the How Did This Get Made? episode about it.

I love these movies and the world. They are legit great blockbuster action flicks and better than any of the competition.

Shut up, Tyrese.

Gin-Shiio

Kind of sad Paul Walker died just so the remaining actors could start a diss war about who is more important to the family. Guess he kept it together both in film and on set.

BadAss2961

Don't know what this is about. Vin's taken over the series more than anything. John Cena's his way through each movie. Buried the whole team in F8. Has a death scare every last act that no one buys at this point.

Walker was the heart of this series, and he's gone.

Blader

Tyrese's last instagram post where he was begging the Rock to come back for F9 quickly so they didn't have to move their release date was fucking pathetic.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Don't know what this is about. Vin's taken over the series more than anything. John Cena's his way through each movie. Buried the whole team in F8. Has a death scare every last act that no one buys at this point.

Walker was the heart of this series, and he's gone

Not even just that.

8 was atrocious. Letty solely existed to say, "Dom wouldn't be betray us". She had nothing else to do.

Add on how the other characters basically progressed.

Rock went from the tough, uncompromising cop in 5 to a super hero who at no point is ever in danger in 8. Vin's character doing the same exact fucking thing.

Luda and Tyrese friendly competition has turned into doing nothing more than fighting over Dany's girl.

Generic white dude replacement for Brian.

Han and Giselle, who were without a doubt fan favorites and added the most diversity to the group. It makes sense why they are gone, it was Lin's character and Han goes with Lin after the arc is told. But they didn't replace them with anyone. The series went from taking unknowns or relatively small actors, but being extremely diverse in 5. To a largely white and black cast, composing themselves of more actors who are well known.

Every character has regressed to one note. It's why Statham stood out as much as he did. It was the only thing new in the recent flick.

norm9

Every character has regressed to one note. It's why Statham stood out as much as he did. It was the only thing new in the recent flick.

If Statham comes back, no doubt he's going to be just as grating as The Rock was in F8. They were fine as an odd couple in the movie, but I didn't think it fit. They were their own movie tacked onto the overall movie.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If Statham comes back, no doubt he's going to be just as grating as The Rock was in F8. They were fine as an odd couple in the movie, but I didn't think it fit. They were their own movie tacked onto the overall movie.

He also looked to be the only person having fun with the role. Something sorely missing as the series progressed.

ViciousDS

Banned

Walker was the heart of this series, and he's gone.

Pretty much.......series is boring as shit without Walker and the connection he had with everyone. It's obvious how much be brought to the set and how well he clicked with everyone. Seems like he was the one who kept everything together.....also Tyrese's character was absolute garbage in 8

He also looked to be the only person having fun with the role. Something sorely missing as the series progressed.

This as well....Statham seemed to actually take in his role and have fun with it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Tyrese has gone off like this before. I think he got wind of the delay during his first rant. And then the confirmation set off this one. I don't think it's publicity. And considering how they went out of their way not to have Vin and Dwayne share scenes in the last movie, I'm thinking their thing might be legit and they played it off to save face.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wtf is this about?

Is there more to the story, or is this guy just a jerk? Seems to be implying the delay was due Dwayne Johnson wanting to change the story and strong arming the production, but I feel like there has to be more to the story here.

Supposedly, the Hobbs spin-off is pushing F9 back another year. I don't know what the #NoShaw thing means. It could be that the Hobbs spin-off didn't sign Statham and would just be The Rock? I don't think The Rock can do much strong arming on the main series cause Vin has control.

Fuck Diesel. Fuck Tyrese. Rock is all I care about.

I loved the franchise for the cars at first. Then it went south and Rock saved the entire thing in 5.

So yea I'm with you. He saved this shit from sinking so I'm with him. Diesel is alright and these is just the comedic relief. Why the fuck is he talking? You like the side piece to the side piece.

Top Bottom