• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 8: Directors Revealed (Sapochnik, Nutter, D&D)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Maybe they are saying 2 to 3 episodes because him and nutter are actually split directing all 5 before finale

CGwizz

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Hope he directs all the battles, i love battle of the bastards.

Bring back the cool hardhome Night King again pls.

mantidor

FUCK YES SAPOCHNIK

Save us from mediocre battles

Has Game of Thrones ever had mediocre battles? I nitpick and complain on the show all over but if there is one thing it has a flawless record is in battles.

Basically, you cannot complain about any of this:

Costumes
Music
Battles
Dragons
Actors and casting (probably the most disputable)

You can complain about:

Everything else, because it's a mess :p

kmax

Came for Sapochnik.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Surfinn

Seems to me that they're positioned to deliver another fantastic season and a fitting end to the story.

Just wish they had more than 6!

Has Game of Thrones ever had mediocre battles? I nitpick and complain on the show all over but if there is one thing it has a flawless record is in battles.

Basically, you cannot complain about any of this:

Costumes
Music
Battles
Dragons
Actors and casting (probably the most disputable)

You can complain about:

Everything else, because it's a mess :p

s7 e6 for me anyways, had too many jump cuts, no tension at all during the fight & the reason it started was dumb af. The directing wasn't good, but it was definitely the worst written episode of the entire show. Whoever is responsible for that episode, I hope they're not coming back for s8.

Timbuktu

Battle of the Bastards is the high point of this whole show, and one of the best battle scenes i've ever seen (TV or Cinema).

Give him whatever final battle you have, to direct.

Hardhome for me. The writing of Battle of the Bastards irritated me somewhat, although it is the no doubt most impressive. I can't remember the episode D&D directed, a bit worried they would want full control for the finale and fuck it up with no restraints.

Werd

would love this tbh. Two Swords was decent enough as a season-opener.

I think it's the best premiere episode, maybe second to the pilot. Nice cold opening with melting down Ice, establishes Oberyn very well, and the entire closing sequence at the Inn is great. Like everyone else I'm mostly glad Sapochnik is back and likely for multiple episodes and Nutter as well, but no problem with D&D getting in on it.

Elandyll

Banned
My guess (hope) is

Sapochnik season opener, chaos in the North

Nutter 2 eps ( filmed back to back as 1 big one) dealing with first victories and defeats with guerilla style tactics, resolving last plot points other than NK invasion still salliant (Yara/ Theon/ Euron, Cercei betrayals, alliances & preparations, etc.)

Sapochnik gets then the big "last stand" battle as a two parter

Epilogue / conclusion by D&D

mantidor

s7 e6 for me anyways, had too many jump cuts, no tension at all during the fight & the reason it started was dumb af. The directing wasn't good, but it was definitely the worst written episode of the entire show. Whoever is responsible for that episode, I hope they're not coming back for s8.

Well I agree mostly, what got us to that situation was dumb, and there was bad stuff like the spear and the redshirts and other stuff, but the actual battle, taking it on its own, was very impressive, I disagree about tension I thought for sure Tormund was gone for instance. As a setpiece it was top quality, but within the episode and the overall series it was indeed terrible.

its almost like, they ran out of source material or something...

season 6 was great. I'm only on episode 1 of season 7 which was fantastic, who directed that btw?

I like the trimmed down story lines. Seriously, what was the point of having Brienne spend any entire book and not find either Sansa or Arya? Whats the point of Lady Stoneheart, as far as im aware she doesnt exist in the tv series. etc etc.

Season 6 was very good, not on the level of season 7 bad, but still didn't feel as good as the other seasons.

I agree with the way they trimmed down plot during those first 6 seasons. That was the right way to go.

But the brevity of season 7 is not a creative decision. They've admitted as much. They're just tired of working so hard, and want to wrap up. It's a time issue. That's why its so bad now.

I'm happy with this other than the lack of Jack Bender. Was really hoping he would get a chance to direct another episode. He s responsible for 2 of my all time favorites episodes of TV ever

Iksenpets

Banned
Awesome for Sapochnik. I've never been huge on Nutter. He does well at dramatic stuff like the Red Wedding and Walk of Shame, but the action bits in his episodes have always felt weak.

D&D taking the finale would seem to imply that the major action should be done by that point, and we'll get getting a lot of quieter resolution there.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Season 6 was very good, not on the level of season 7 bad, but still didn't feel as good as the other seasons.

I agree with the way they trimmed down plot during those first 6 seasons. That was the right way to go.

But the brevity of season 7 is not a creative decision. They've admitted as much. They're just tired of working so hard, and want to wrap up. It's a time issue. That's why its so bad now.

i thought Season 8 was really supposed to be season 7 part 2 like breaking bad did and mad men did.

I dont know why they just didnt take some extra time make a longer season 7 and just finish the series. 6 episodes next year right? i mean i know why, but that doesnt mean i agree with it.

Tagg9

i thought Season 8 was really supposed to be season 7 part 2 like breaking bad did and mad men did.

I dont know why they just didnt take some extra time make a longer season 7 and just finish the series. 6 episodes next year right? i mean i know why, but that doesnt mean i agree with it.

My understanding is that it took just as long to film the 7 episodes last season as it did to do the 10 episodes in previous seasons.

Fantastic news!

In the end everything was like a long reality show set to pick two directors to helm the final season.

Sapochnik is all I needed to go dormant until 2019.

zsynqx

#Thrones. Final season. Good to be back. The night is definitely long and full of terrors. Bring it on.
https://twitter.com/MigSapochnik/status/912934977922269184

Also

Having just learned that one of Game of Thrones' most ambitious and capable directors, Miguel Sapochnik (”Battle of the Bastards," ”Hardhome"), could very well direct half of the show's final season, fans may now rejoice to learn just how many resources the director will have at his disposal. The network is ramping up the budget, big time, for the eighth and final season of the jewel in its Peak TV crown. According to a new report from Variety, the final six episodes of Game of Thrones will cost a staggering $15 million apiece—and we've heard the real budget may actually be much, much higher than that.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...he-final-season-8-cost-per-episode-15-million

At least $15 million per episode.

Neece

The actors for Jaime, Cersei, Tyrion, Dany, and Jon made 500k per episode for season 7. So if they all make the same amount in season 8 and appear in each episode, then they'll take up at least $15 million of the minimum $90 million budget.

CloudWolf

Good to see Sapochnik is back. At least this way, if the last season is a mess (which it probably will be), it will at least be beautiful to look at.

Did you see the second-to-last episode of last season? Calling that shit mediocre is a compliment.

Sapochnik is cool but I was still hoping we'd get Neil Marshall back. He still has the best big event episodes of the show for me

Not surprised to see Sapochnik back. After the huge, overwhelming response from fans and the awards attention he got for Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter, D&D probably knew they HAD to get him back to close the series, regardless of cost.

Dreams of Hype

Lol.

Jombie

Good to see Sapochnik is back. At least this way, if the last season is a mess (which it probably will be), it will at least be beautiful to look at.

Did you see the second-to-last episode of last season? Calling that shit mediocre is a compliment.

It was the worst editing and fight choreography of the entire series.

sasliquid

As much as I have massive issues with GOT now regarding the plot and themes and character consistency and logic and lots more...

Sapochnik did direct the best episodes of seasons 5 & 6 (which were bad seasons) simply because he brings such visual flair to his battle scenes. Id be interested to see what he could do if d&d were more competent showrunners.

Roussow

Given D&D are directing the finale, it gives me hope that Sapochnik handles all the big final action climaxes around episodes 3 - 5, and the actual ending is all low key character beats and more political stuff around setting up the future of this world post Night King.

Given D&D are directing the finale, it gives me hope that Sapochnik handles all the big final action climaxes around episodes 3 - 5, and the actual ending is all low key character beats and more political stuff around setting up the future of this world post Night King.

That would be going out with a wet fart. There isn't going to be 60-90 minutes of epilogue. Not even Return of the King did that. It had rising action all the way up to the last half hour.

duckroll

Hoping for a higher budget tbh. But it's nice to hear.

It's unclear to me if that news is what it seems to be. Vanity Fair is quoting Variety on the $15 million figure, but the Variety article they quoted from says nothing about Season 8 at all, it was an article about TV budgets in general, and has GoT pegged at $15 million an episode. Since the last figure we got before that was in Season 6, where the 10 episode season cost $10 million an episode. Converting a $100 million seasonal budget to a 7 episode season would give us about $15 million an episode. Converting it to a 6 episode season would give us about $17 million an episode. So it's possible HBO isn't increasing the budget for each season at all.

J2 Cool

Was hoping for Alex Graves. Adore "The Mountain and the Viper" and "The Children," but understand why you can't bring him back with the controversy.

Also, I'm pretty sure the article is wrong on D&D only having directed one ep (Two Swords). They definitely wrote/directed the ep where Jaime loses his hand, "Walk of Punishment". It just was credited to one, instead of both.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It was the worst editing and fight choreography of the entire series.

The episodes directed by Mark Mylod had worse fight choreography. The fight scenes on the raided ship in S07-E02 were impossible to follow. The episodes by Matt Shakman on the other hand were excellent, in particular the episode with the attack on the loot train. I'd have liked to see Shakman do another episode.

Top Bottom