• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Now, all of a sudden, I can’t use it?” Racist candidate doesn't see the big deal

norm9

Straight Outta Southampton Village- http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/Southampton-Village-Surrounding-Areas/520382/Southampton-Village-Board-Candidate-Used-Racial-Slur-In-Call-To-Police-Recording-Shows

Valerie%20Smith.JPG

A candidate for Southampton Village Board in the June 16 election placed a call to Village Police last summer and used a racial slur when referring to a group of black men who were standing in front of her home in the Hillcrest neighborhood.

Valerie Smith, who is white, on Friday confirmed that she made the call, and used the slur, after a recording was obtained by The Press on Friday via a Freedom of Information Law request—and she went on to defend her use of the word, and used it several more times in an interview.

The call, made at 6:17 p.m. on August 5, 2016, from her residence on Windward Way, included Ms. Smith reporting that there were “a bunch of niggers” standing in front of her house, drinking “Hennessy.” She asked to have a police officer sent to her street to get them away from her house.

Without even hearing the recording on Friday, Ms. Smith, 53, confirmed that she had made the call, and repeatedly used the “n-word” throughout a phone call with a reporter.

Ms. Smith said she purchased the home in the largely African-American Hillcrest neighborhood nearly six years ago. She said she converted a “rodent-infested dump” into an oasis. “I came into this neighborhood colorblind,” she said. “… When you are a pioneer, like I am, it’s not easy. I’m the only white person who owns and lives on this street.”

One night, she said, she couldn’t sleep in her bedroom because of the noise coming from in front of her house. So she put on some shoes and walked outside.

“I said, ‘You f------ niggers!’ and they just dispersed,” Ms. Smith recalled.

The next night, when she came home, she saw them in front of her house again, and heard one of the men call her name. Ms. Smith asked who he was, and he replied that he was the man she had used the racial slur toward the night before.

In relating the story, she referred to the man, who she said was in his 30s, as “boy,” and said she told him, “I know you’re a good guy, but you don’t behave like that … If you want to behave like that, you’re going to be a nigger.”

She said she has no plans to drop out of the race.

“That’s why I’m running for trustee,” Ms. Smith said. “This neighborhood needs help.”

tldr- racist does some racist shit and thinks she's the good guy.

There are a few more choice quotes about Eddie Murphy, All In The Family, and her recognizing that there are some "good people" there.

There's always been racism, and there will always be racists, but the amount of audacious Look At Me I'm Racist and Proud is mindnumbing.

Blame Obama if old.

Ms. Smith said she purchased the home in the largely African-American Hillcrest neighborhood nearly six years ago. She said she converted a “rodent-infested dump” into an oasis. “I came into this neighborhood colorblind,” she said. “… When you are a pioneer, like I am, it’s not easy. I’m the only white person who owns and lives on this street.”

giphy.gif

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
This is a uniquely racist lady, just completely open and defending it and trying to run for office. Weird.

olag

Cool I always wondered what America was like for black people 50 years ago. It seems Ill find out in a couple of months......or maybe weeks depending on how fast the regression goes.

Such a brave pioneer. I hope we can all remember her political aspirations this Memorial Day

Also "All of a sudden" like yesterday it was okay.

On Friday, Ms. Smith said her use of the racial slur was no big deal, and she should be entitled to use it whenever she wants. She suggested that comedian Eddie Murphy made a career out of using the word, and added that she grew up hearing it on television in the 1970s show “All in the Family.”

“Now, all of a sudden, I can’t use it?” Ms. Smith said in a phone interview on Friday.
“Sorry—I live in a black neighborhood. I came here and didn’t see color.”

y2EWUAg.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Everyone should read the comments on the article. See some of the reactions to this obvious racist bullshittery.

Specifically, how there are always two or three assholes trying to deflect and derail the conversation to defend the racist asshole.

When you're so madly racist that you need to move into a neighbourhood as the only white so you have people you can be racist to.

The Adder

Banned
1. Fuck her.

But

2. Better than the ones that lie, equivocate, and try to keep their racist beliefs to themselves. At least everyone already knows she ain't shit.

I love the reaction "I can't use it?"

You seriously got this far in social life not knowing there are certain things you shouldn't say to people? It's not even the racism alone, it's the utter lack of social awareness that goes with it.

rtcn63

It's like she watched that one episode of The Boondocks while on canned air and took every other line as gospel

Top Bottom