• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Now, all of a sudden, I can’t use it?” Racist candidate doesn't see the big deal

y2EWUAg.jpg

The saddest part of this analogy is that Archie never even used the word nigger. He had other racial slurs but drew the line there lol

temp

posting on contract only
There's always been racism, and there will always be racists, but the amount of audacious Look At Me I'm Racist and Proud is mindnumbing.

Blame Obama if old.

There hasn't always been racism, and it's incorrect and defeatist to say there will always be racism.

norm9

There hasn't always been racism, and it's incorrect and defeatist to say there will always be racism.

Racism was here to stay in 1877 when Union troops left the SOuth. That was it.

From history.com-
The Compromise of 1876 effectively ended the Reconstruction era. Southern Democrats’ promises to protect civil and political rights of blacks were not kept, and the end of federal interference in southern affairs led to widespread disenfranchisement of blacks voters. From the late 1870s onward, southern legislatures passed a series of laws requiring the separation of whites from “persons of color” on public transportation, in schools, parks, restaurants, theaters and other locations. Known as the “Jim Crow laws” (after a popular minstrel act developed in the antebellum years), these segregationist statutes governed life in the South through the middle of the next century, ending only after the hard-won successes of the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

Chococat

So not just full-on racist, but weirdly obtuse about it as well. Weird combination.

Not obtuse at all. She sees herself as a enlightened civilized force in the sea of backwards savagery. Literately believes she is "helping" blacks by virtue of her being "better" than they are. Taming the noble savage myth and all.

It is a sick mindset.

There has always been racism.

There will always be racism.

Racism is the DNA of this country. It was built on it, thrives on it, and does everything possible to continue perpetuating it.

Whites are not affected by racism in large enough groups to make changes to the racist status quo, and as such give no fucks.

Same as it ever was.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Lol. What an idiot.

No one is saying you can't say racist shit, lady. You can say whatever you want. You just are free from the consequences of saying it. The days of being able to call black people "niggers" and get a pat on the back for it are dying. It's been a painfully slow death, and I'd love to see go sooner rather than later, but it is happening.

I refuse to roll over and be the model negro, not rocking the boat about social injustice and institutional racism. Hell, I've stopped giving a pass to casual racism. I'm sick of letting things slide because I need to "pick my battles" so as not to make white folk uncomfortable. Racism is fucking uncomfortable. Living in America as a black man 24/7 is uncomfortable. Knowing that my mixed babies will grow up in a world where being half white wont make a lick of difference if they look like me and not their mother is enough for me to stop letting shit slide.

Again, this lady can say what she wants, and her supporters will still support her, but that won't stop me from speaking up. And not just about issues of racism, but sexism,homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, etc etc. Enough is enough. Coddling these racists and bigots, and sexists and anyone who sees me, people like me, and all of the other marginalized minorities out there as anything less than human, isn't working. The onus isn't on minorities, women, LGBTQ community, muslims, and immigrants to change these people. They need to change themselves by getting their heads out of their asses and getting off that high horse and "moral superiority" blow they've been sniffing.

[On Friday, Ms. Smith said her use of the racial slur was no big deal, and she should be entitled to use it whenever she wants. She suggested that comedian Eddie Murphy made a career out of using the word, and added that she grew up hearing it on television in the 1970s show “All in the Family.”

“Now, all of a sudden, I can’t use it?” Ms. Smith said in a phone interview on Friday. “Sorry—I live in a black neighborhood. I came here and didn’t see color.”

What are the rules?

iasip_1208_0341r.jpg

WillyFive

There is no reason to believe that homo sapiens weren't treating neanderthals (and vice versa) differently as far back as 40 thousand years ago. When exactly do you think racism started?

She went into full White victim mode on Facebook right now:

Six 1/2 years ago I bought a house in a black neighborhood in Southampton Village because I wanted a home. From the beginning, I have been harassed because I am white and not welcomed here. I had no idea how segregated the communities were. It has been disturbing and not at all what I was familiar with. For several years I thought I would just get through it. But it became too much to bear. Most all of my neighbors are good people, but there are a few young men that live here who are visited by other men, young and old who have infringed their behavior on me and my home. They disrespect not only my right to peace and quiet enjoyment but they disrespect the entire neighborhood. They party in the street, loitering in front of my house for hours blasting music, dropping their garbage, throwing their trash onto my hedges and if ask them to move because I want to sleep they tell me to fuck off. They have shouted out white bitch get back in your house, and the disrespect goes on. Mostly they disrespect themselves and their own. Expecting that everyone should simply accept their behavior because this is ”their neighborhood" yet only 5 or 6 of them live here, the rest come from other places simply to hangout. This has been an ongoing nightmare that has led me to tears, no longer am I able to sleep in my bedroom rather I sleep in the basement. Finally, I called them what they show themselves to be. And now I am a racist. Get the facts before you shout out your remarks!

Translation: There's Black people and then there's niggers, I only ever called some low down niggers what they were, so what's the big deal? Get the facts straight!

norm9

She went into full White victim mode on Facebook right now:

Translation: There's Black people and then there's niggers, I only ever called some low down niggers what they were, so what's the big deal? Get the facts straight!

Well there we go. They practically forced her to call them the n-word.

Eta- all that profanity shows a lack of intelligence which should make her lose her election, but you know that goes.

I can't even begin to type but my dad uses the same logic everytime wants to jury-rig something together, ie build something he says "nwordrig" not even joking.

He says, they used to say it all the time when he was a kid, no one cared.

But don't mind me I am just the pariah liberal that knows nothing about the world or racism.

Christ this shit is fucking stomach churning and bad for my blood. It's like we will never move past this shit, because there are too many ignorant, racist assholes or straight up apathetic people, then there are people like my dad and this bag of human garbage.

Like how do we fight these fucking people, they are like a dime a dozen.

Ms. Smith said she purchased the home in the largely African-American Hillcrest neighborhood nearly six years ago. She said she converted a “rodent-infested dump” into an oasis. “I came into this neighborhood colorblind,” she said. “… When you are a pioneer, like I am, it’s not easy. I’m the only white person who owns and lives on this street.”
One night, she said, she couldn’t sleep in her bedroom because of the noise coming from in front of her house. So she put on some shoes and walked outside.

“I said, ‘You f------ niggers!’ and they just dispersed,” Ms. Smith recalled.

Jesus H. Christ, what the fuck?

This reads like satire, but it's real.

There wasn't really a concept of race as it is understood today until it was needed to justify slavery and colonialism. It used to be that you could enslave non-Christians but then folks converted so you have to make up a new reason besides, you know, the real reason of course.

From Wikipedia
Groups of humans have always identified themselves as distinct from neighboring groups, but such differences have not always been understood to be natural, immutable and global.

The modern idea of race and thus racism required global contact and a scientific mode of thinking which produced pseudo-scientific classifications of people. That doesn't mean people didn't hate other groups of people but they didn't hate them because of what we understand as race. The reasons why people hate each other change depending on how the groups identify themselves.

norm9

Aw shit, she found the magic phrase.

Imagine how scary it must have been for these dudes when they're just hanging out having a good time and all of a sudden a crazy lady comes out and starts screaming and shit. I'd scatter too thinking bitch had a shotgun.

Aselith

There wasn't really a concept of race as it is understood today until it was needed to justify slavery and colonialism. It used to be that you could enslave non-Christians but then folks converted so you have to make up a new reason besides, you know, the real reason of course.

From Wikipedia

The modern idea of race and thus racism required global contact and a scientific mode of thinking which produced pseudo-scientific classifications of people. That doesn't mean people didn't hate other groups of people but they didn't hate them because of what we understand as race. The reasons why people hate each other change depending on how the groups identify themselves.

There's nothing distinct about racism that makes this a meaningful qualifier. The same attitude that separates a different tribe is the same one that leads to racism.

So, to say racism didn't always exist because actually it was tribalism is kinda meaningless.

It's bout the same as the "Muslim isn't a race" shit

L Thammy

Wait, she learned a racial slur from watching All in the Family as a kid?

Did she think Archie Bunker was the hero?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
There's nothing distinct about racism that makes this a meaningful qualifier. The same attitude that separates a different tribe is the same one that leads to racism.

So, to say racism didn't always exist because actually it was tribalism is kinda meaningless.

It's bout the same as the "Muslim isn't a race" shit

Yeah to be fair though, back in the day a person's skin tone didn't give an automatic global perception of supremacy. The idea to classify human beings into arbitrary groupings, by way of skin tone, is relatively new. The Romans for example, viewed the Egyptians as civilized people, and yet at the same time, they called the Germanic tribes in their northern borders barbarians. The level of melanin you had wasn't an automatic disadvantage in Roman society.

Isn't pioneer really offensive in this context? In what sense is she a pioneer? There were clearly people living here. She is just colonizing this specific area of the Hamptons, the whitest place in the tri state area, for white people?

Isn't pioneer really offensive in this context? In what sense is she a pioneer? There were clearly people living here. She is just colonizing this specific area of the Hamptons, the whitest place in the tri state area, for white people?

She thinks she's doing that neighborhood a favor by ingratiating its "colorful" community with her whiteness. This bitch is like, pure cane sugar racist.

Top Bottom