• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Alien: Romulus’ – Fede Alvarez’s ‘Alien’ Movie Gets Official Title

Draugoth

Gold Member
Alien-Romulus.jpg

There’s a brand new Alien movie on the way from Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe director Fede Alvarez this year, and, per Deadline, it’s officially been given the title Alien: Romulus.
Alien: Romulus is currently set to launch into theaters on August 16, 2024.

According to star Cailee Spaeny (The Craft: Legacy, Pacific Rim Uprising) in a recent chat with Variety, the Alien: Romulus movie takes place in between the first two films.

It’s supposed to slot in between the first movie and the second movie,” Spaeny tells the outlet. “They brought the same team from Aliens, the James Cameron film. The same people who built those xenomorphs actually came on and built ours.

Porcile

Not that it would be any good because the film was awful but is a sequel to Covenant not happening then? So many dumb questions left unanswered lol

DKehoe

I think there is something interesting about the idea of humanity exploring these sort of metaphysical subjects like the source of creation or meeting "gods" but it's a tricky needle to thread and Prometheus and Covenant did a kinda clumsy job attempting it. Hope this one pulls it off better if that's what they're going for.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sooooo, a human is raised by aliens? How Dat work? Infiltrator spreading aliens to human worlds?

And how much you wanna bet getting boned by another human breaks their conditioning? We've seen this story I think...

30MkBBS.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
NGL, if they hew close to the Alien/Aliens design aesthetic and representation of technology I'm more interested. This is where Prometheus slipped as a "prequel", I think. Still, I don't really see where this could slot in, as I didn't get the impression that other aliens were super common in the Alien universe to where running into other Engineer structures and what not would be a casual thing. Though the Aliens Fireteam game was quite nice with how they handled some of this stuff, I could go for more of that, or Isolation.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
High hopes for this. This director is great. At the very least it will be the most visceral entry in the series since the Cameron film

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sooooo, a human is raised by aliens? How Dat work? Infiltrator spreading aliens to human worlds?

And how much you wanna bet getting boned by another human breaks their conditioning? We've seen this story I think...

30MkBBS.jpg

Like Romulus and Remus raised by wolves.

The Stig

Not that it would be any good because the film was awful but is a sequel to Covenant not happening then? So many dumb questions left unanswered lol
i know, right?! i hate that i want answers despite the movie sucking so much I REALLY shouldnt care.

i dont have much faith in this, simply because it reeks too much of terminator dark fate.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The poster is awful, but the director is a good pick and there's a chance we won't see shitty CGI aliens on screen. Or at least not most of the time.

Last edited:
They really just need to put this franchise to rest along with other good 80's sci-fi shit they keep trying to bring back from the grave every year like Predator and Terminator. They're done, just move on. Even if someone manages to make a decent film in these franchises, no one is going to care at this point.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They really just need to put this franchise to rest along with other good 80's sci-fi shit they keep trying to bring back from the grave every year like Predator and Terminator. They're done, just move on. Even if someone manages to make a decent film in these franchises, no one is going to care at this point.
See, I don't agree. I think there is a lot of life left in the Terminator, Aliens, or Predator IP, they just gotta look at the films, what made (some of) them good, look at the relatively vast amount of comic, novel, and game story out there, and then TELL A GOOD STORY. There are dozens of interesting time periods for an action oriented Predator film, lots you can do with the Skynet/Terminator concept, the Alien(s) universe is vast with corporate intrigue and unknowable existential threats tied to a blue collar/grunt level POV.

They just gotta step back from Ripley and the Connors so much and stop preaching at the very audience these IPs have! You ain't never gonna sell a predator to women, so stop trying! Doesn't mean they can't try new genres (imagine True Detective grit but following a Terminator on its systematic hunt of names) but I feel like they have lost the audience and are just chasing a non-existant one.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait is she talking about the two Prometheus movies or does this take place in between the OG two?

I knew about the title for at least a year now. So I don't understand how this is news.

Also, I heard this is going to tackle modern social issues so you know what that all means. And I think it's going to involve feminist tripe.

Remember folks, this is coming from FOX under Disney now.

In other words this is going to suck hard.

Puscifer

Many of those questions not needing to be asked in the first place. Hell, it wasn't even a proper sequel to Prometheus which I was pissed about. You set out to asks questions about the creations of humans and it turned into a mediocre slasher fic where you show a genocidal adroid murdering an entire species pretty much invalidating the entire concept you set out to begin with.

Such wasted potential, and you know it was because he didn't want that blomkamp movie being made.

ShadowNate

I will wait for a trailer to maybe consider of being hyped up for this.

I hated the writing in Prometheus, and completely despised everything about its sequel.

I am not sure what I'm hoping for this one. I don't believe it can go back to the "roots". The alien creature and its (from scare to some silly looking) variations is overdone to death.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

30MkBBS.jpg
Excuse me:
metroid GIF

she did it first

Many of those questions not needing to be asked in the first place. Hell, it wasn't even a proper sequel to Prometheus which I was pissed about. You set out to asks questions about the creations of humans and it turned into a mediocre slasher fic where you show a genocidal adroid murdering an entire species pretty much invalidating the entire concept you set out to begin with.

Such wasted potential, and you know it was because he didn't want that blomkamp movie being made.
I loved Prometheus and I felt Covenant was perhaps the worst Alien movie so far. Huge disappointment.

StueyDuck

I love the alien/s franchise but..... aren't we kinda done with it.

I feel it's definitely not been long enough since covenant for this to make a glorious return.

I guess we'll see from the trailer eventually whether it sparks some sort of interest but if I see the same imagery and moments I've seen 100 times in these movies already I dunno if I can muster the excitement.

Just don't be prometheus and have a really awesome intriguing trailer and then eventually be terrible

Kilau

There are some interesting stories in the timeline between Alien and Aliens, even involving Ripley (Ellen not Amanda) lol. I have little faith in this.

Should just make Isolation into a movie.

Muffdraul

For me the original Alien stands alone, but I can easily enjoy most of the sequels on their own terms. e.g. Prometheus being eye candy was sufficient for me to enjoy it, don't give two shits about whatever niggling story issues people couldn't get over. I'll give this movie a watch, without folding my arms across my chest and going "FUCK YOU MOVIE IMPRESS ME OR GTFO YEAH THATS WHAT I THOUGHT"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good fucking chuck that s h e i t into a fire

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The more lore and storylines added to the Alien franchise, the less scary and interesting it becomes, imo. The mystique is virtually gone.
I really just wanted that Rumored Alien movie with Ripley going to their "home world" and putting and end to them. also heard about an alternate story where the Aliens make it to Earth and start dominating the human race. Long, old trashed rumors were very interesting and I hoped they would materialize. Sadly...

mortal

Gold Member
I really just wanted that Rumored Alien movie with Ripley going to their "home world" and putting and end to them. also heard about an alternate story where the Aliens make it to Earth and start dominating the human race. Long, old trashed rumors were very interesting and I hoped they would materialize. Sadly...
I could be misremembering but I recall hearing about a similar plotline involving Shaw and David for the follow-up to Prometheus before it turned into Alien Covenant.

Top Bottom