• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cops’ Canceled at Paramount Network

Bullet Club

‘Cops’ Canceled at Paramount Network

Cops” has officially been canceled at Paramount Network.

Definitive news that the series won’t return comes only four days after Variety exclusively reported that it had been pulled from the schedule.

“‘Cops’ is not on the Paramount Network and we don’t have any current or future plans for it to return,” a Paramount Network spokesperson said in a statement.

The original decision to hold “Cops” was spurred by nationwide protests against police brutality following the killing of George Floyd by Minnesota police officers.

“Cops” originally launched on Fox in 1989 and has come under fire in recent years for its depicts law enforcement and questionable behind the scenes practices.

The series was the subject of a recent podcast hosted by Dan Taberski, “Running from Cops,” which chronicled hundreds of episodes of the show. Taberski and his team detailed instances where people were coerced into signing waivers and how production allows police to edit and remove anything that might paint them in a negative light.

Fox aired 25 seasons of “Cops,” pairing it with “America’s Most Wanted” on Saturday nights for 14 years. “Most Wanted” moved to Lifetime in 2011 and was eventually canceled. “Cops,” meanwhile, got a new lease on life in 2013 when Spike TV ordered new episodes and paired them with repeats. (Spike was rebranded as Paramount Network in 2018.)

At the same time as Paramount Network pulled “Cops” from its plans, A&E removed a similar show in “Live PD” from its schedule “out of respect for the families of George Floyd and others who have lost their lives.”

“Live PD” is currently the number one series on cable on Friday and Saturday nights, and follows cops and sheriffs — live, in real time, as they patrol various cities and counties across the country.

Source: Variety

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've never seen an episode. Didn't even know it was still on the air, but then I haven't had cable since I was a kid living with the folks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
TIL this show was still on the air.

Weird right?

“Based on the current climate we’re canceling Cops”

Nearly everyone: “Wait what year is it?”

Such a brave move during these tumultuous times.

Last edited:

GirthBrooks

Neo Member
"Sir have you taken any drugs tonight?"
"What is drugs?"
One of my favorite scenes from a reality TV show. But also I was just thinking today how weird it was that there was a show about cops fucking people up left right and center.

"Sir have you taken any drugs tonight?"
"What is drugs?"
One of my favorite scenes from a reality TV show. But also I was just thinking today how weird it was that there was a show about cops fucking people up left right and center.

Officer she scammed me our of 20$

Well what were you trying to buy mam?

Just some crack

That was so funny when I saw that episode.

Super Mario

Banned
Thank god. The public doesn't need to see 30+ seasons of actual interactions with the police, how terrible the public is, and how reasonable the cops are.

All the public needs to see are short clips of black people in a precarious position.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Bummer. Cops is my favorite travel show.

I could have sworn they would have arrested all of the incest loving rednecks and baby daddies by 2006. Holy shit there must have been a lot of repeat arrests.

Amory

tbh cops is a shitty tv show concept that should've died off a long time ago anyway

ironically though, you'd think being on TV at least keeps em honest

Agent X

COPS HAS a dedicated channel on PLUTO TV it's 24/7 cops re-runs LOVING IT. If they kill this channel I will die

I hope they don't touch the Cops channel on Pluto TV. The company that owns Pluto TV also owns Paramount, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility just yet.

Live PD is apparently next.

I hope not. I really enjoy watching Live PD. It's a similar concept to Cops, but (as the name suggests) includes some sequences that are aired live in realtime, along with some prerecorded events. There's also a commentary team (three regulars, with an occasional guest) that discusses the situations, often explaining police procedures in layman's terms.

Live PD is a show that's very respectful to the police and their activities, as well as the citizenry. It would be an utter shame if it were to vanish.

Lrnex

I know a guy who got the idea to become a cop specifically because of watching that show. He wasn’t a power hungry white supremacist either. He was a black dude who grew up in a rough area and wanted to be a positive force for change.

Cops followed by Springer was my favourite time of the week growing up as a kid. We used to laugh at the cops giving no fucks and dealing with trouble-makers how they needed to be dealt with.

TBH it's why I was so surprised to see everyone kicking off about police brutality when it has been a TV show since 89...🤷‍♂️

It will be missed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's kinda ironic that it survived a cameraman being accidentally shot and killed by one of the cops, but couldn't survive this.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Michael Moore did a piece on Cops all the way back in his documentary Bowling for Columbine. He meets with some executive and puts him on the spot on why the show is demonizing blacks and Hispanics. Moore even proposes his own idea of Cops chasing down corrupt Wall Street yuppies or bankers. Back then, it didn't gain any traction at all, but I guess it kinda died down in the wake of the Columbine tragedy, but also because cancel culture wasn't a real thing in the early 2000.

oagboghi2

Im sure the dozen Cops fans are dissapointed by this news.
Live PD, which is basically a newer version of cops, averages a 2 million viewer rating. It's actually one of the highest viewed reality shows on television.

A bit more than 12 people

Dural

Unfortunately, ManaByte ManaByte was right. The axe has fallen on Live PD.

This is unbelievable, I guess cops can’t be shown on tv at all anymore. Brooklyn 99 and 911 better watch out, cancel culture is coming for them.

Top Bottom