• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny’ Whips Up $130 Million Loss For Disney

Draugoth

Gold Member
960x0.jpg

Source

The film, which was released in June last year, is famous for its dramatic train chase featuring a digitally de-aged Ford. It came at a cost as the filings reveal that $79 million (£62.6 million) was spent on post-production work in the year to the start of April 2023 bringing the movie's total budget to an eye-watering $387.2 million (£306.7 million). It didn't translate into fortune and glory for the film.

Sybrix

It was better than Crystal Skull but still pretty crap.

I really hope we are coming out of the reboot era, most of the big films have been done now.

I know Gladiator, Alien and some others are on the way but hopefully they'll perform poorly and a new age of cinema can begin.

jason10mm

Gold Member
honestly, I don't think it's even a matter or going woke or not. it's just bad story writing. even if it's changed to a god son instead of daughter, and keep the rest of the details, it'll still be shit. what a waste of the cast.
I dunno, I can see where they could have kept 85-95% of the script as written but changed the PWB character to a male co-star with some actual action film cred (or hell, just brought back Ke Huy Quan as Short Round) and they would have gotten another 200-300 mill at the BO, minimum.

A 400 mill budget for Indy (or any film really, not called Avatar) is fucking dumb but the bizarre choice to pair him with a profoundly unlikable woman character deep sixed the film from the very start.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Can't wait to find out what The Marvels and Wish lost. Wonder how long it takes for them to turn a profit on disc, TV, and streaming.
The Wandering Earth II released the same year, and had the most stunning de-aging effects I've ever seen. Even better than those face swaps at the start of Dark Fate.

Ulysses 31

The financial statements do not show the marketing costs for the movie and, on the other hand, the box office share isn't the studio's only return as it also receives revenue from merchandise and DVD or Blu Ray sales.
Likely the losses are over 200 Million, all things considered.

Saber

Gold Member
And some people were like "no it's not a bad movie and yes, they still happen to make money out of it".

I honestly hope theres more cases like that you know. Yes, keep damaging and destroying well know franchises, that will work out. Hope Star Wars is next.

honestly, I don't think it's even a matter or going woke or not. it's just bad story writing.

The problem is that its aways because it's a "bad movie", every single time. Same thing was said about Buzzlighter.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Crystal Skull in 2008 was bad enough. Harrison ford was already an old man who could barely move and speak.

But they milked it hoping for one last hurrah with an 80 year old Ford.
Yeah after Crystal Skull I was done. Haven't seen this new one and I doubt I will ever bother.

Oberstein

And to think that the license was hugely popular in the 80s and 90s, what a shame. If, back then, we'd been told we'd be getting an Indiana 4, it would have been an outburst of joy.

Now the new generations don't give a damn, and the old fans hate - and rightly so - the new films. As for the Picard series with Patrick Stewart, the actor is too old and it's just sad to watch. Not to mention the quality of the writing, which has gone to shit.

Sometimes it's better to leave memories where they are.

Mistake

Crystal Skull was a bad movie.

Dial of Destiny was an insulting modern slacktivist take on the franchise done to shit on its lead character and promote how better the new generation is and how strong and independent the lead female character is.
Girl boss movies and shows do get watched by women, but the problem is that it comes at the expense of a male audience. If my gf didn't take me to this movie, I wouldn't have bothered.

Also, the female lead in this movie came off as a huge cunt, with little redemption

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Crystal Skull was a bad movie.

Dial of Destiny was an insulting modern slacktivist take on the franchise done to shit on its lead character and promote how better the new generation is and how strong and independent the lead female character is.
I still haven’t seen dial of destiny but for laughs maybe I’ll find a copy on my stream box.

nkarafo

As it should.

And no, Crystal Skull was not good. It just looks decent now after this one. Kinda like how the Star Wars prequels are now remembered more fondly because of the Disney ones.

This is how the standards get lower.

The Stig

And to think that the license was hugely popular in the 80s and 90s, what a shame. If, back then, we'd been told we'd be getting an Indiana 4, it would have been an outburst of joy.

Now the new generations don't give a damn, and the old fans hate - and rightly so - the new films. As for the Picard series with Patrick Stewart, the actor is too old and it's just sad to watch. Not to mention the quality of the writing, which has gone to shit.

Sometimes it's better to leave memories where they are.
arrest-him.gif

intbal

Microsoft shouldn't worry about their upcoming game, though.
I've heard that gamers are much more tolerant than the general public of ugly aggro-feminists who show up the male protagonist in their games.

Br1REQq.jpg

Nydius

Younger generations don't care about Indiana Jones movies. Those are their parents or grandparents movies. Shoving in "for modern audiences" social justice stuff isn't going to make an octogenarian playing action hero any more appealing to younger audiences; Conversely, shoving that stuff in will push away the very demographics who would be nostalgic for Indiana Jones.

Hollywood needs to understand that not every successful former franchise needs to be continued or rebooted.
Sometimes their popularity is due to the time they were originally made, and those variables can't be recreated.

Edit:
Why? He's not wrong. Like Harrison Ford, Patrick Stewart is barely "acting" at this point anymore due to age.
For all three seasons, Stewart was arguably the worst actor in the show named after his character.

Last edited:

Pejo

My gf bugged and bugged me to go see it at the theater with her, despite my insistence that it was gonna be a shit movie that has modern Panderverse Disney slop shat out all over it.

Turns out she fell asleep around the the boat part and didn't even watch the last section, in the theater.

Utter contrived pandering shit. I didn't particularly like Crystal Skull either, I don't even know which of the two was worse. At least Crystal Skull gave me this cinema magic:
anigif_sub-buzz-994-1674605732-3.gif

T-0800

The movie should have been old Indy telling his students about an adventure he had when he was younger. Then cut to the younger Indy we got in the opening for the remainder of the movie until the very end which then goes back to him in his class now only talking to a handful of students because the rest left believing he was making it all up. "Did that really happen SIr' says a curious student. "That's how I remember it kid'. Fade to black.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Within a generation Disney might just collapse enough for a total overhaul, mass firing of execs, and rebirth. Doubtful, but a man can dream.

They should have stopped after the original trilogy, but they also should have stopped making Terminator and Alien films after the first 2 and well Hollywood can't help themselves

They also should have stopped making Pirates of the Caribbean films after the original trilogy too, Disney just doesn't know when to stop

Also the Disney Star Wars Trilogy was absolute flaming dogshit and almost killed that whole franchise which is an admirable accomplishment if you think about how culturally iconic Star Wars is

Last edited:

Braag

Disney has nothing that interests me these days, which is weird cause I like Star Wars and some of the marvel characters. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna watch the trash they put out currently.
Acolyte looks completely insufferable and their marvel movies have been tiresome for a while now. Shogun looks good though, I might check that out eventually.

Top Bottom