• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy

Kacho

But what about Rian "fishbowl head" Johnson?

btw there will be books written on the mismanagement of this franchise in a few years. The incompetence on display is fascinating.

sol_bad

Rise of Nostalgia is on track to be the lowest grossing entry in the sequel trilogy. They know streaming tv is where the money is. “They” being both these guys and the company doing Star Wars.

Mandalorian won't give Disney 1 billion dollars, no TV show ever will.

NickFire

I really wish they would stop all plans related to a post-Skywalker era. Instead of screwing up the existing lore any more, start over and return to the roots of Sith v. Jedi. Explore the war that ultimately lead to the rule of 2, and put the writing firmly in the hands of life long fanboys / fangirls who appreciate the lore many of us have spent 20-45 years enjoying before Disney let their marketing people ruin the series.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I need to watch it first so I can develop my own thoughts about the movie before hearing anyone else's. That way I can be sure I'm not simply parroting someone else's opinion.
the first sentence is literally impossible. already your opinion has been influenced by years of discussion and now months of leaks and stuff. nobody exists in a vacuum. especially given the world's most famous and most discussed IP of the past 50 years.

besides, im confident enough in my own opinions. it's not like if i watch a video then it imprints the views of Jay and Rich over my own. that's silly. a RLM video is not going to turn a good movie into a shitty movie.

already from the footage made available it is not appealing to me. they doubled down on the Prestige TV look, on rehashing old shit, on using "new" planets that are just renamed versions of the old planets. already i have an opinion on this film without it coming out, due to what i have seen of it so far. it looks bad.

Last edited:

Caffeine

i really only want to watch 9 for john williams last score. he's gonna go out with a bang for sure.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
the first sentence is literally impossible.
Nah, it's possible. All you need to do is see the movie before discussing it with friends or reading others' opinions.
already your opinion has been influenced by years of discussion and now months of leaks and stuff.
That would be my opinion of everything up until now. Not the new movie, because I haven't seen it yet. I also haven't read up on the leaks and other things because I hardly give a shit about Star Wars anymore and don't go looking for it.
besides, im confident enough in my own opinions.
Cool, so am I.
it's not like if i watch a video then it imprints the views of Jay and Rich over my own. that's silly.
That would be silly, and that's not what I was implying.
a RLM video is not going to turn a good movie into a shitty movie.
That's also not what I was implying either.
already i have an opinion on this film without it coming out, due to what i have seen of it so far.
Which is just that. An opinion on the film based on the preview stuff. I'm talking about an opinion on the film based on the film itself. These are two different things.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Hate Star Wars and Disney all you want.
But stop living in a fantasy world, Star Wars is still a massive and giant brand name. The new movie will easily make over 1 billion, it will probably make more money than episode 8.
Disney sycophants buying trash is no longer impressive news. We know it will make money

Jon Neu

Banned
After being reeeee'd at by bitter nerds over the crime of making a "bad" season of a television series, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to deal with yet another group of petulant man-children.

One? Season 7 is even worst than the final season. The two last seasons of what could have been the best TV series ever, where the most low quality shit ever. They just didn't even care, or maybe they don't have the capacity to write. Probably both.

Kadayi

Banned
It must warm GRRMs heart to see everyone shitting on Benioff and Weiss all the time, even though when they got into bed with him to make the TV series of Game of Thrones 10 years back they didn't necessarily expect that he wouldn't hold up his end of the bargain as a producer on the series and actually complete the books. Sure, the final couple of series of Game of throne a little rushed and lacking as they were working off an outline, but let's not leave out GRRMs key role in this of being the biggest procrastinator in the world. I mean jeez did we really need 'The World of Ice and Fire' or 'Fire and Blood?' (the latter is some turgid shit of the first order) versus pulling his finger out and bringing the series to a conclusion before the series ended.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MisterHero

What is the name of that strategy where you pretend to value a toxic asset, overinflate its price, then let a competitor buy it for way too much money?
If anything, Star Wars was severely undervalued at $4 billion. No matter what though, Lucas has half of that in Disney stock and it's gonna keep growing. ;)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Final season backlash has made everyone forget history. These dudes still helped create the biggest tv show post Breaking Bad most companies wish they could get a slice of that GOT magic.

Even if they “messed up” the last two seasons beyond watchability, that is still, what, 40+ hours of solid fantasy?

Last edited:

Fbh

Final season backlash has made everyone forget history. These dudes still helped create the biggest tv show post Breaking Bad most companies wish they could get a slice of that GOT magic.

Even if they “messed up” the last two seasons beyond watchability, that is still, what, 40+ hours of solid fantasy?

Sure, but as soon as they no longer had any source material to use the quality of the show started to decline at a steady rate until the shit show that was the final season.

So I'm not sure it's the people you want in charge of creating a whole new Star Wars project, specially with the "just make shit up as we go" mentality that Disney has been using for everything Star Wars related.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah but Star Wars is just about rejuggling already created source content. we have both ROTJ2 and Boba Fett tv show coming out soon, neither of these are wholly original works. plus they own all EU that they pick and choose from at will. so it isn't like they will have to make anything new. even with Old Republic stuff there is tons of pre written KOTOR stories, decades worth, to pick and choose from.

Last edited:

TUROK

Yeah, let's pretend they are the victim here
You're right, they're not the victims. The victims are the fans, the whiny, pathetic fans who have nothing in their lives except their obsessive love for a TV show/book series.

Poor them. Now they have nothing except the will to bitch.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dammit! I wanted to see these hacks fuckup Star Wars even more.

Consider my expectations subverted :messenger_crying:
don't worry, plenty of other hacks on hand to fuck it up!

Netflix just gave them $200M. So it was probably Netflix telling them that if they wanted that money they couldn’t work for Disney.

nah, they are only human. they only have enough time in the day. they will be making a new streaming show, maybe some movies as well, add a full trilogy on top of that, and that's just too much work. there probably literally isn't enough time in the day.

the guys they have now can't make Star Wars work and they are already spending 2 years working just on the movie. imagine how much worse they would be if JJ was also working on tv shows & other movies at the same time. to do streaming and a trilogy at once, that's a big ask.

Last edited:
This is only good news. I will never wish ill will on anyone’s career simply because they just fucked up but these two clowns didn’t give a fuck and rushed something that many many fans loved just because they wanted it to be over.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they can actually make a brand new sci fi universe at Netflix if they want. more importantly, they will own it, the way they kind of owned GOT. over at Disney they would be another cog in the machine, easily fire-able and override-able. by contrast, at Netflix they have a lot more freedom, plus probably a lot more to personally gain from owning a new IP, rather than doing a few entries in one owned by someone else, someone that is famously controlling of their properties. in the long run this may have been the better choice.

plus, if they have been thinking of any characters or settings or anything, they can just use that. they can easily make a sci fi fantasy series on Netflix to rival The Mandalorian. we may end up seeing the stuff they would have done for Star Wars on Netflix instead. without the ratings restrictions and poor management choices. this thing has been known for a while, they must at least have some rough outlines for stories and original characters. i mean, im guessing that in the year or so this has been known, they've sat down and come up with planet and character names at least.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
they can actually make a brand new sci fi universe at Netflix if they want. more importantly, they will own it, the way they kind of owned GOT. over at Disney they would be another cog in the machine, easily fire-able and override-able. by contrast, at Netflix they have a lot more freedom, plus probably a lot more to personally gain from owning a new IP, rather than doing a few entries in one owned by someone else, someone that is famously controlling of their properties. in the long run this may have been the better choice.

plus, if they have been thinking of any characters or settings or anything, they can just use that. they can easily make a sci fi fantasy series on Netflix to rival The Mandalorian. we may end up seeing the stuff they would have done for Star Wars on Netflix instead. without the ratings restrictions and poor management choices. this thing has been known for a while, they must at least have some rough outlines for stories and original characters. i mean, im guessing that in the year or so this has been known, they've sat down and come up with planet and character names at least.

Plus it can be for adults.

Silent Duck

You know a paranoid, conspiracy nut might think it went down like this.

After Disney execs finally watched the last season of Game of Thrones.
giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Plus it can be for adults.
and D&D can own their thing and Netflix can have a sci fi fantasy to compete. its a streaming war thing IMO.

they are rolling out D+, a direct competitor to Netflix, in a matter of weeks. there is a conflicting business interest at hand. regardless of any creative issues, for largely business reasons, this was bound to fail.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If this news is to be taken as face value, then we are now at a point where people are choosing to work on a Netflix TV show over a Star Wars project; which was at one point in time the greatest entertainment intellectual property in the world. Let that sink in for a moment.

Whether they left of their own accord or were given the boot, both explanations can only reflect poorly on the absolute gong show that is Lucasfilm's production team. How is this anything other than a complete and utter embarrassment?

If D&D truly left voluntarily as the article states, then it means that even these clowns don't want anything to do with this hot steaming pile of a franchise, because of the stink associated with it.

Conversely, if they were fired by Lucas or Disney, it would mean yet another change for a project lead during Kathleen Kennedy's tenure as head of Lucasfilm and Star Wars. For those who haven't been keeping score, this woman has so far:

- Fired Colin Trevorrow from Ep. IX, eventually forcing JJ to return to "finish" the trilogy
- Replaced Gareth Edwards with Tony Gilroy to finish Rogue One after principal photography was wrapped
- Fired Lord & Miller after they almost finished Solo, and hired Ron Howard to reshoot a majority of the film, doubling the production costs

Any way you slice it, this can only point to an executive who does the worst possible job of vetting your candidates. You would have to actively try your hardest to fail as spectacularly as this.
It's not a Netflix show. Its total ownership over their output for multiple projects, similar to the deal JJ has been trying to get himself at an extremely high price. It's a new type of mega deal that is happening now with elite content creators as all streaming services continue bidding on content.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Exactly. All they need to do is pick another book.

There's lots of books out there people. These guys aren't talentless. Jesus

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The problem is that they messed up in such a spectacular fashion to completely invalidate your interest and investment in the series up until that point. The way they tried to hastily wrap everything up and just conveniently forget about major plot lines and themes (which are for 8th grade book reports, apparently) in a rush to move the fuck on to other projects was such a horrible injustice to the series and everyone involved in making it successful. The source material is still stellar if you ask me and even the end state we got could have made sense if enough time was spent to get us there, but they just completely fucked it for those last few seasons.

Exactly. All they need to do is pick another book.

There's lots of books out there people. These guys aren't talentless. Jesus
They can adapt material but let’s not play games here. GOT was successful mostly because of the cast, crew, directors, and most importantly George RR. The best seasons were the ones they followed closely to the material and George also co-wrote the episodes. The later seasons exposed them as the mediocre to shit writers they actually are.

Last edited:

sol_bad

John Campea has a point. D&D signed a contract with Disney/Lucasfilm to make a trilogy.
You don't and can't just walk away from a signed contract. The contractors can generally walk away but not the contractees.
He also talks about all the other people that have walked away from Star Wars and Kathleen Kennedy.

JimiNutz

Banned
Disney saw an easy way out I think.
I'm sure Disney are powerful and legally savy enough to ensure that D&D fulfilled their contract if they really wanted them.

John Campea has a point. D&D signed a contract with Disney/Lucasfilm to make a trilogy.
You don't and can't just walk away from a signed contract. The contractors can generally walk away but not the contractees.
He also talks about all the other people that have walked away from Star Wars and Kathleen Kennedy.

These asshats ruined GOT for Star Wars and now they have the gal to just leave. I don’t know all of the behind scenes facts but it’s shitty to know GOT was ruined for nothing now

Top Bottom