• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million people and 40+ world leaders to march against terror in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilly

Banned
Gemüsepizza;147351770 said:
Probably old, but haven't seen it here:

Yeah those world leaders surely marched with the people. At least they were in the same city, I guess.

This was already explained.

Alx

Gemüsepizza;147351770 said:
Probably old, but haven't seen it here:

Yeah those world leaders surely marched with the people. At least they were in the same city, I guess.

Did you expect them to be in the middle of a crowd of 1-2 millions ? They were marching a few meters ahead of everybody, and a few meters behind of the families, friends and colleagues of the victims. And it was probably enough of a logistic nightmare for the security staff that way.
The whole thing was broadcasted live anyway...

Who said the world leaders would be in the same group as the rest of the people?

There weren't two groups. There was one group which marched. And there was this photo op. Most pictures and videos from this photo op were carefully shot at such an angle, that it would seem like they would lead the march. And, at least in Germany, many press sites also made it seem like they were leading the march. Which was obviously not the case. They wanted to deceive the public.

Eh, I can understand not having very important people right next to a big crowd after a terrorist attack, you can see the rest of the crowd behind them on the picture anyway.

Those are police men.

Did you expect them to be in the middle of a crowd of 1-2 millions ? They were marching a few meters ahead of everybody, and a few meters behind of the families, friends and colleagues of the victims. And it was probably enough of a logistic nightmare for the security staff that way.
The whole thing was broadcasted live anyway...

In the middle of the crowd? No. But they made it look like they were leading this march. They didn't do anything. They were walking a few steps on a closed off street and turned their heads to the houses on the side, like there were any people there.

I understand that there are security concerns. But then they should just say it and not try to fool us.

Gemüsepizza;147352505 said:
There weren't two groups. There was one group which marched. And there was this photo op. Most pictures and videos from this photo op were carefully shot at such an angle, that it would seem like they would lead the march. And, at least in Germany, many press sites also made it seem like they were leading the march. Which was obviously not the case. They wanted to deceive the public.

We have ourselves a mind reader!

Alx

Gemüsepizza;147352505 said:
In the middle of the crowd? No. But they made it look like they were leading this march. They didn't do anything. They were walking a few steps on a closed off street and turned their heads to the houses on the side, like there were any people there.

I understand that there are security concerns. But then they should just say it and not try to fool us.

Closed off street, right...

see that picture ?

france2dirigeants.png

It's at 81 boulevard Voltaire, the main road between République and Nation. The street was closed because there was a friggin march going through it.

We have ourselves a mind reader!

Just look at the press material. Most pictures only show specific angles, to give a certain impression. No mind reading needed here. Just common sense.

Closed off street, right...

see that picture ?

http://rue89.nouvelobs.com/sites/news/files/assets/image/2015/01/france2dirigeants.png[IMG]

It's at [URL="https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Vidy'l/@48.8602,2.3760928,3a,75y,220.37h,86.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sbZ_3G_N6nqiK0iQjWJ-z9w!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x47e66df983e7f159:0x22b19c82bc4e72f9"]81 boulevard Voltaire[/URL], the main road between République and Nation. The street was closed [B]because there was a friggin march going through it[/B].[/QUOTE]

The street was closed behind them. Just look at the videos, they walked a few steps, then stopped to take pictures. Great march.

Someone has obviously not been watching BFMTV. They explained every single detail of the march and showed it with different camera angles. Whoever thought there was a conspiracy to make it seem the world leaders were among the other people hasn't been paying attention.

I wonder how we managed to reach place de la Nation if the street was closed, then...

Well I guess the photo op only took a few minutes. After our dear leaders drove away with their busses, there was probably no need to keep the street closed.

Someone has obviously not been watching BFMTV. They explained every single detail of the march and showed it with different camera angles. Whoever thought there was a conspiracy to make it seem the world leaders were among the other people hasn't been paying attention.

No I did not watch BFMTV. I only watched local videos from my country, and the impression given there was very specific. And I wouldn't exactly call this a "conspiracy". It's just shitty PR tactics by shitty politicians.

Irminsul

Gemüsepizza;147353480 said:
No I did not watch BFMTV. I only watched local videos from my country, and the impression given there was very specific.
I hope your user name isn't a clue to your country, because the view seen in the second photo was also shown on German TV.

I hope your user name isn't a clue to your country, because the view seen in the second photo was also shown on German TV.

Well I did not see it, at least not when the actual march took place. Right now there are a few articles in the press about this little controversy.

Like I said: I would hardly call this a "conspiracy". But even if they showed this picture, it seems like they did this without commenting it, and their other reporting gave the impression that the politicians would actually lead the march. Why didn't they say that this was just a photo op? Why is stuff like this even necessary?

Alx

Gemüsepizza;147354269 said:
. Why didn't they say that this was just a photo op? Why is stuff like this even necessary?

Because it wasn't ? Why do you cling to that theory based on a single photo when the whole thing could be watched live on TV ?

Joni

Gemüsepizza;147354269 said:
Like I said: I would hardly call this a "conspiracy". But even if they showed this picture, it seems like they did this without commenting it, and their other reporting gave the impression that the politicians would actually lead the march. Why didn't they say that this was just a photo op? Why is stuff like this even necessary?
Because it is really difficult to get all the reporters on the right location to make photos if it is in the middle of a 2+ million march.

Alx

I still don't understand what kind of issue is tried to be raised here. The world leaders were on the path of the march (boulevard Voltaire), behind the "true" head of the march (vicitms' families) and in front of the main crowd of the march. We can locate them at one point of the avenue (81/94 boulevard Voltaire), here they are further down the road :

10005141-les-chefs-d-etat-en-tete-de-cortege.jpg

That's 126 boulevard Voltaire. So they obviously didn't just hop out of the bus for a quick photoshoot.

What more do people need to believe that they were marching ? Don't you even realize why some people are casting those doubts and trying to diminish the importance of the event ?

Raist

Banned
Gemüsepizza;147353156 said:
Just look at the press material. Most pictures only show specific angles, to give a certain impression. No mind reading needed here. Just common sense.

The street was closed behind them. Just look at the videos, they walked a few steps, then stopped to take pictures. Great march.

Yes. It's all a conspiracy to let us think everyone is united while what actually happened is that the powerful were once again separated from the peasants.

Or you know, maybe only shooting vids and pics from 50m away and 20 meters above isn't really gonna tell and show everyone who was there amongst world politicians.

I still don't understand what kind of issue is tried to be raised here. The world leaders were on the path of the march (boulevard Voltaire), behind the "true" head of the march (vicitms' families) and in front of the main crowd of the march. We can locate them at one point of the avenue (81/94 boulevard Voltaire), here they are further down the road :

http://i-cms.journaldesfemmes.com/image_cms/750/10005141-les-chefs-d-etat-en-tete-de-cortege.jpg[IMG]
[URL="https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.858436,2.379018,3a,24.9y,239.68h,87.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sy-ejLJM1MwkShpAN7fEnZg!2e0!6m1!1e1"]That's 126 boulevard Voltaire.[/URL] So they obviously didn't just hop out of the bus for a quick photoshoot.

What more do people need to believe that they were marching ? Don't you even realize [U]why[/U] some people are casting those doubts and trying to diminish the importance of the event ?[/QUOTE]

The march was still portrayed in a different way in German state TV, which was what I criticised. And excuse me, but what the fuck do you mean with the last part? And about what "importance" are you talking? Because those politicians certainly don't give a fuck about freedom or peace:

[url]https://storify.com/tometty/staunch-defenders-of-free-press-attend-solidarity[/url]

[url]http://en.rsf.org/rwb-condemns-presence-of-predators-11-01-2015,47472.html[/url]

There was even an alleged war criminal walking in the first line who slaughtered over 2000 people a few months ago. This doesn't mean anything. It's just PR for them.

Gemüsepizza;147357362 said:
The march was still portrayed in a different way in German state TV, which was what I criticised. And excuse me, but what the fuck do you mean with the last part? And about what "importance" are you talking? Because those politicians certainly don't give a fuck about freedom or peace:

https://storify.com/tometty/staunch-defenders-of-free-press-attend-solidarity

http://en.rsf.org/rwb-condemns-presence-of-predators-11-01-2015,47472.html

There was even an alleged war criminal walking in the first line who slaughtered over 2000 people a few months ago. This doesn't mean anything. It's just PR for them.

Why are you trying to stir up some sort of controversy over these 40 people, when there were 3.7 million people marching? These 40 people (who happen to be "world leaders") are just a minor aspect of that day's march. By focusing on them you are missing the actual point and significance of that march.

Alx

Gemüsepizza;147357362 said:
And excuse me, but what the fuck do you mean with the last part? And about what "importance" are you talking?

It means exactly what it says : why do you think some people are casting some doubt on the veracity of the participation of the heads of state, when there are hard proofs that they were there and did march ?
We've seen a lot of media manipulation about those events. Extremist circles tried to launch the rumour that the videos of the Charlie attacks were fake. Fake BBC pages were published with conspiracy theories. Russian newspapers are claiming that the USA are behind those attacks. And now random twitter messages try to claim that the international support "was just a photoshoot".
Well it wasn't. And by claiming that it might be manipulation, maybe you're being manipulated yourself.
And the fact that none of those heads of states are angels, some even less than others, doesn't change the fact that this gathering was historically important, especially because of all the differences between participants, and the security issues that it involved.

StayDead

Why are you trying to stir up some sort of controversy over these 40 people, when there were 3.7 million people marching? These 40 people (who happen to be "world leaders") are just a minor aspect of that day's march. By focusing on them you are missing the actual point and significance of that march.

The problem is and one I can somewhat understand is the media circus in many cases focused a lot on the world leaders that were there. I understand why they did it, but this day should've been mainly about the families of the people who were killed and the other millions of people marching, not the powerful people who were happy enough to go to get some good publicity.

You can say what you want about the reasons for them being there, yes they may have marched but when most of them are incredibly hypocritical about their stances on free speech, which was what the entire focus of the march was then you should probably be able to understand why people might be miffed that a large amount of the press focused on them. At the end of the day they're all still the same species as us, and they all bleed the same blood. It shouldn't matter who the hell they are. It should be about humanity, not the people who are sat up at the top who care very little about a large majority of the people who were actually marching with them and what they want.

I'm very happy that so many people turned out and marched, I just somewhat wish in a way that the "world leaders" who care very little about their own populations were not there or they atleast believed what they were marching for. I have a very hard time respecting hypocrites and them being there was nothing but in most cases hypocrisy. Most of them are happy enough to quell protests in their own coutries and also have journalists beaten, jailed and killed. Honestly I'm finding it hard to believe they were there to support the march. Most of them were there for themselves and it's a disgrace. Thankfully the other people that march atleast give me some form of hope for humanity. A hope that there are some people in this world who believe that we should be one humanity and don't care very much for differing skin colours, accents, races and borders. We're all one and we all want and deserve the same rights and freedoms, and I just wish the world leaders there believed the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom