• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 Month Later, Halo: MCC is still broken

Can't fault people for wanting to get a refund, but it just seems so weird to do it now. Like the game is seeing definite improvements.

everybody should get a refund. it's downright unplayable and you can still buy it back when they make it work.

Out of curiosity, why would you bother trying to get a refund when your intention is to buy it back later once they iron out all the bugs?

Wouldn't it make more sense and be easier to just be patient?

Pez

I'm still disappointed by the campaigns somewhat. I haven't tried split-screen, but the pop-in on Halo 3 and 4 is just...ugh. I understand these limitations on the Xbox 360, but you'd think they could increase the draw distance for these new next gen systems a bit.

Sucks seeing a flurry of grass pop up some 10 feet in front of you as you progress through a level.

Halo 4 definitely has some of the worst geometry pop-up in the collection, near Halo 2 on the original Xbox bad. I can't believe they didn't fix this, especially for all the MP maps. Sucks having huge untextured meshes right in your face in 1080p.

Jomjom

Banned
Can't fault people for wanting to get a refund, but it just seems so weird to do it now. Like the game is seeing definite improvements.

Well I mean there is that guy who hasn't even been able to get into a single game.

Also after waiting for so long, sometimes the desire to play the game is just gone. At that point why keep the game? If they want to revisit it again, they can just pick it up when it goes down to $19.99 or sometime.

Out of curiosity, why would you bother trying to get a refund when your intention is to buy it back later once they iron out all the bugs?

Because you'll probably save $20?

joecanada

This thread is a shit show and I honestly don't know who's serious.

If I learned anything from bf4 threads its that if you don't have the game yet don't buy until 90 % of the posts say its good... I kept going back into bf4 month after month from that thread only to find it was the same....
there's a lot of defenders in these type of threads, buying a game widely accepted as broken is rolling the dice. the bf4 people would shout you down until you posted video and then suddenly they would disappear .

that share feature is paying for itself on these consoles!!

Pez

So which game had a worse launch?

This, Driveclub, or Assassin's Creed Unity?

I would say Ubisoft made right by the fans by making the DLC free. I can't think of anything 343 has that they can bring to the table.

I'd kill for a port of ODST to the MCC, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen for free.

If anything, maybe a discount on Halo 5? Can't say that really does it for me, either.

1. we don't know if they ever do that (although probable)
2. if it happens it might be in january or february or even later and i don't want it anymore / my friends don't want it anymore making it a less attractive game
3. i might get it for half price then
4. i can use the money to buy and play a game that actually works now
5. principle, sends a message yadda yadda.

there are no drawbacks getting my money back now and then decide later if i still want it.

I would say Ubisoft made right by the fans by making the DLC free. I can't think of anything 343 has that they can bring to the table.

I'd kill for a port of ODST to the MCC, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen for free.

If anything, maybe a discount on Halo 5? Can't say that really does it for me, either.

They have said they will make it up somehow ... Let's wait and see

lewisgone

I'll just post my transcript. Why not? My patience grew fairly thin since this is my second time attempting this and I was promised one the first time I did.

tl;dr:
-Promised a refund by a previous agent, he had said that there was an issue with the system but that I could get one once they fixed it
-Contacted support again
-Blamed 343, said I need to ask them for a refund
-After showing the NeoGAF post from Frankie, still no refund
-Said even though the previous agent promised one, still no refund
-Doesn't know how much a PS4 runs

I edited it out for length, but they also claimed phone support follows the same guidelines and wouldn't be able to give me a refund.

Way to be an asshole, no wonder you didn't get anywhere. And there isn't a "single part" where you are "slightly" rude, your second line is saying "that's bullshit" and it only gets worse from there.

Also, laughing at you namedropping Frankie O-Connor like you know him personally or something, or poor Regina should be dropping all her guidelines and protocols over a GAF post by someone she likely has never heard of with the username "Stinkles". He isn't a celebrity or anything..."an official Halo dev. Kinda the major one. Like, kind of a well known guy" maybe inside certain videogame circles, but why should some lady working in support know him?

If you try and bully your way through these kinds of things you're never going to have people TRY and help you. If Regina's prompt sheet say's she can't refund you, she can't. If you are friendly, clear and persistent about the fact you have been offered a refund previously, she may feel compelled to go and investigate the situation with her supervisor as MCC refunds must be a hot issue in the support center right now and as other people have been issued refunds an exception may be being made that she is unaware of. All a guess of course but there's more probable reasons to Regina not issuing you a refund other than just to be difficult. Of course, maybe she feels compelled to be difficult after you act like a total jerk from line 2.

Grow up, keep calm, be nice, stop swearing at the drop of a hat to service representatives and maybe, just maybe, you might come off as a nice enough person that someone might want to help willingly. You should be embarrassed, having posted that chat log. Being in the right doesn't give you a free pass to act like a prick.

Try switching the xbox to powersaving instead of sleep and then completely power cycle it. This has worked for others. Everyone who has not tried this and can't get into games should try it. I am baffled as to why that even matters but it worked for me.
Just tried this, and sure enough I got into a Halo 2: Anniversary game for the first time in 2 weeks. Thanks. Pretty weird that this was necessary, apparently. I wonder if they can force whatever that did in a patch.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This seemed to be their ultimate weapon for the holidays. I'm shocked that they've let it get botched.

HORRORSHØW

a shame for halo fans and those who bought a system specifically for this game. and shame on the "journalists" who couldn't be bothered to report on this mishap; what a disservice to your readership.

GavinGT

Banned
Try switching the xbox to powersaving instead of sleep and then completely power cycle it. This has worked for others. Everyone who has not tried this and can't get into games should try it. I am baffled as to why that even matters but it worked for me.

I wonder if a hard reset somehow doesn't fully clear the cache. Multiple people have said to hard reset by actually unplugging the power cord.

Also, after yesterday's update, I had to hard reset twice (first by holding down the power button, then from the settings menu) before I got the "downloading matchmaking data" message and the "message from 343" screen. If anybody has updated and not gotten either of these, you should keep trying various hard reset methods until you do. As soon as I got those, I was finding games like crazy.

Just tried this, and sure enough I got into a Halo 2: Anniversary game for the first time in 2 weeks. Thanks. Pretty weird that this was necessary, apparently. I wonder if they can force whatever that did in a patch.

I know right? Like what does that even do to make it work?

Qblivion

I bought the game for single player and single player only. Game only crashed on me once. I got my $60 worth for 4 games and I am a happy customer.

I am part of the problem, aren't I :p

Blues1990

I'm glad that I was able to tell my friend the slew of matchmaking & game-breaking problems this collection of games currently have, as he has a low tolerance for this sort of thing. I love the whole idea behind this bundle, but in retrospect, this is something that should have been in the development cooking pot for at least next summer, given it's scope.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I thinking calling it broken is an embellishment after the patches.

No, it's not perfect yet, but it is hardly broken either.

The power cycling helps because it forces the X1 to reset its ports and such from your router. I don't know the technical details, but it's in another thread about X1 and NAT. Basically a console staying in low-power mode never re-news leases of ports and a NAT can go from open to closed without knowing because the X1 caches the NAT type too.

I bought the game for single player and single player only. Game only crashed on me once. I got my $60 worth for 4 games and I am a happy customer.

I am part of the problem, aren't I :p

Don't forget Spartan Ops whenever that comes out (though the first half of it is eh)

It's basically a clear cache.

Ah that makes sense. That isn't available on the console as a menu item like it was on 360 is it?

It could have been avoided with a release delay.

Understandable. I'm not defending them at all, but Frankie has said numerous times this was something that was only found out when the game was in the hands of consumers. I don't know if I completely buy that but if that's the case...

I thinking calling it broken is an embellishment after the patches.

No, it's not perfect yet, but it is hardly broken either.

The power cycling helps because it forces the X1 to reset its ports and such from your router. I don't know the technical details, but it's in another thread about X1 and NAT. Basically a console staying in low-power mode never re-news leases of ports and a NAT can go from open to closed without knowing because the X1 caches the NAT type too.

This. I find when I leave my box in the low power state my NAT goes to moderate or strict, but when I completely power it down (or hard reset) it goes to Open.

Jomjom

Banned
Grimløck;142420897 said:
a shame for halo fans and those who bought a system specifically for this game. and shame on the "journalists" who couldn't be bothered to report on this mishap; what a disservice to your readership.

Have there even been articles written afterward highlighting these issues? I remember Driveclub had a bunch of these articles written well after the reviews.

It's probably just me only hearing of articles via GAF, but I haven't seen any articles on MCC's issues.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
It should also be noted the NAT issues are new to the X1 since the 360 was always power cycled. Perhaps a system update is in order to resolve it.

GavinGT

Banned
Have there even been articles written afterward highlighting these issues? I remember Driveclub had a bunch of these articles written well after the reviews.

It's probably just me only hearing of articles via GAF, but I haven't seen any articles on MCC's issues.

You mean like the ones in the OP?

Vinc

So do we expect this to be fixed by the time Halo 5's beta comes out?

It'd be weird if the beta/demo worked better than a final product.

timlot

Banned
Game has been working fine for me. Granted I mainly play the campaigns. What defines a broken game? Every game that I have ever played has glitches in form or another. This reminded of people calling BF4, and while it did have major issues at release, people who seem to just take message board comments as gospel instead of actually playing the game still to this day think its "broken".

Hubble

I bought the game and it just stays in my dashboard being too frustrated by its issues when playing. Absolutely horseshit. Waste of money.

Jomjom

Banned
You mean like the ones in the OP?

Hmmm just from Kotaku it seems? But like I said, I really only learn of articles through Twitter, my RSS reader of various blogs, and here on GAF, so I fully made for the possibility that I could have just missed them. From my feeds I seem to have seen way more articles about DC than MCC is all I'm saying.

Hmmm just from Kotaku it seems? But like I said, I really only learn of articles through Twitter, my RSS reader of various blogs, and here on GAF, so I fully made for the possibility that I could have just missed them. From my feeds I seem to have seen way more articles about DC than MCC is all I'm saying.

I think it is more forgiven given the amount of content/quality of the game when working. Not that this means the issues are any more inexcusable.

The way to get a refund is to persevere and keep taking up the CS rep's time. Most companies have a sort of policy where they don't want to spend past a certain amount of time on any one customer and any one issue. At some point they've expended more time dealing with you than it's worth and that is costing them more than simply refunding you.

If you keep bugging them (making sure to reference the same case # if you were given one) they'll eventually give in.

Why do you need to keep hassling them? The game is still broken and Frankie make it clear anyone who wanted a refund could get one.

Lemondish

So which game had a worse launch?

This, Driveclub, or Assassin's Creed Unity?

I'd say MCC. It's a much more hyped console exclusive than DC ever could be simply by being Halo, folks aren't so much surprised by Ubi shenanigans anymore, and the problems have plagued both single and multiplayer content.

It nearly convinced me when it launched. I missed out on Halo last gen, so catching up with with the collection sounded brilliant. With the fire sale price and tons of gift cards and extra games, it seemed like a good time. These problems have me pause, so now I'm thankful I didn't. Maybe next November when even better deals show up and there a definite future for exclusives outlined.

arevin01

I have lost faith in 343 as game developers and not plan on buying Halo 5 at launch or if ever if the same problems occur. Sold off my copy of MCC.

Top Bottom