• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 more day till DAoC Catacombs Release!

My druid stands ready for upgrade!

o1tlevel39.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
Belfast said:
Yeah but we're not playing a retarded King Arthur simulator!

I heard the movie sucked

The environments receieve a healthy upgrade in this patch or whatever...but the characters still look and move like asspoles

wipeout364

I am surprised at how bad the character models are. Is that being upgraded in catacombs? I might be spoiled by looking at WOW and Final Fantasy.

ManaByte

wipeout364 said:
I am surprised at how bad the character models are. Is that being upgraded in catacombs? I might be spoiled by looking at WOW and Final Fantasy.

Yes, that's the big draw of Catacombs.

Bristow

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Yes, because WoW's character models are soooo very nice.

They are actually. They have alot of PYRABOOBZ AND OMGBBQ EDGY to them, whereas DAOC's are as generic as they come.

I cancelled DAoC just 2 weeks ago after being subscribed to it for well over a year.

That said, please keep me up to date with some impressions of Catacombs. The full works like impressions on the instances, char models, game performance (framerate), new items, etc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm curious to hear about this since I am relatively new to the MMO thing and lately have taken strides to absorb information about the competition like a soggy sponge(WoW and FFXI is all I've played).

Though the infantile rhetoric being spewed from Doug and Ryan in each of these threads is like being thwomped over the head with a giant nerd stick. Irritating, embarrassing, and desperate to defend their old champion from the obvious influx of shiny new competition. I think I finally understand why they have it in for N-bots.

I warned you tools; now a few of you get a week off. Don't push your luck.

I'm giving Folken a warning, here, since he's generally a good poster; you can wax priapic over Wow character designs all you like in WoW threads, but I made it pretty clear that this thread was for Catacombs discussion, not WoW pimpage.

However, Folken, I'd love for you to find one instance of my "championing" of DAoC -- it has a whole host of problems in my eyes, but the people on the DAoC servers are quite a bit more mature and a sore sight better than what you get on WoW. I think this thread demonstrates THAT to a frickin' T.

And I'm curious why you think me and MAF are making "infantile" posts on the topic of DAoC when you have the antics of the WoW crowd above.

Brandon F

Actually my post didn't have anything to do with debating or promoting WoW in this thread, but if you want me to help balance out the universe, I'll be sure to go post "Dork Age of Cummalot! Hurf Durf" ad nauseum in the next WoW thread.

I'm mostly just fascinated at how the two of you have become so enamored by DAOC (a part of a genre you once were so vocally against) to the point of becoming crusading zealots for it's share of forum estate. What is the hook? A rounded PVP game surely can't be it...?

Post history lately assumes a desperate stance against WoW et al. Hell MAF has been on the offensive in WoW threads since it launched. Though occasionnally he does slip a neat argumentative piece in between the Blizzard attacks.

By the by, a week of WoW under the belt and not a single "kekekekeke" just a lot of questing and looting.

How am I enamored of it? Show me where I've posted about it outside of this thread. I don't recall crusading for it OR criticizing WoW, ever.

I have a bunch of friends playing it, including MAF, my brother, and a coworker. They're a riot to play with and could make even Everquest fun. Catacombs will make it prettier to look at and give me instanced dungeons; hence, it's a great purchase for me. That's IT. It doesn't make me an MMORPG fan.

As for MAF, he's only against WoW because of the Nintendo-style idiots you see above pimping WoW. He thinks it's funny to pimp a much less popular game that admittedly stands up to -some- criticism and comparison well, giving them a taste of their own medicine. And it *is* funny -- as an army of one, he's certainly gotten YOUR attention.

ManaByte

If I can track down a copy today (the gamestop across the street from me are pre-order Nazi's and won't sell you something on launch day if you didn't pre-order even if they have 2,000 copies), I'll polish off my 31 Thane.

The only disappointment for me with the expansion is they didn't add new animation for the new models. At least it looks that way from the videos that are out there. They use the same animation from the old models.

ManaByte

Drinky Crow said:
How am I enamored of it? Show me where I've posted about it outside of this thread. I don't recall crusading for it OR criticizing WoW, ever.

Exactly. They have only really posted any comments about DAOC in DAOC threads as opposed to the WoW kiddies who troll DAOC, FFXI, EQ, EQ2, and COH threads with blind praise.

Brandon F

Fair enough, I'll concede.

I certainly understand your reasonings, I only really bought into FFXI because of our own Alex(pissed he jumped ship from the GA server so early on to join his old Beta troupe). With WoW(well I really am having a blast), I have two real life friends of my own playing side by side with a handful of personable GA folk, which makes the experience that much more rich.

Don't get me wrong, here. I don't think DAoC is the end-all, be-all of MMORPGs; in fact, it suffers from most of the problems endemic to the genre.

However, until MAF, my brother, and my other friends move to WoW, I'm keepin' my butt firmly planted in DAoC. It may not be the OMG BEST, but it's damn well good enough compared to the competition, and in spades.

Brandon F

Yea, yea, just be sure to post comparison shots of the Catacombs upgrade when you get it. Kinda curious how DX9 does benefit such an old game.

Id go get my copy, but EB is all NOT OUT TILL TOMORROW and im LIKE I PREPAID I HEARD REDMOND GOT IT! And they're all like NO NOT TILL TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuckers.

Plus traffic is a fucking bear tonight and I just got off work and i have to still clean my apartment. blah.

ManaByte

Gamespot across the street got it today, but they refused to sell me a copy because I didn't pre-order it even though they had no other pre-orders. Fuck em. I'll buy it at Fry's.

Redmond EB was sellin' em today, but Lynnwood EB -- where I preordered -- was being a cock about it. Ah well, me and MAF mucked around with Midgard for a bit and had fun, but I WANT THEM SEXY GRAPHICS dammit.

Also, Thanes kick ass.

ill pick mine up tomorrow, if there were only giving pre-orders they could have asked if I did. EB's so hard to deal with these days. Oh well, ill be in first thing tomorrow to get it. When does lynnwood mall open I wonder.

Top Bottom