• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In February (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I'm from Cedar Rapids, and while the aerial shots were actually CR, the movie was not filmed here. At least the majority of it.

I want to see how the movie depicts the city.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I love historical epics, but I'm pretty skeptical about The Eagle if it's gonna be featuring Channing Tatum and his Vanilla Ice accent.

Seda said:
I'm from Cedar Rapids, and while the aerial shots were actually CR, the movie was not filmed here. At least the majority of it.

You don't see much of the city in the film. It is all about the conference aside from a few trips outside, which is kind of odd considering the title.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
cedar_rapids.jpg

Is that Clay "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt" Davis?

JdFoX187

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
As this is a Magnet release, it's been on all the 'on demand' channels and download services for over a month.
Oh shit, just noticed it'll be on HD Net movies in two weeks. Thanks for the infos.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Seda said:

No shit. I bet they don't even depict the boring ass city its name is based on.....it's just a fucking name.

Noshino

Expendable. said:
Dude, have you seen the trailer?!?

He makes three direct references to The Wire in the film...it is fantastic.

Ok, I hadn't even heard of this movie til you mentioned this...

and holy shit, I want to see this! Not only Whitlock is on it making hilarious references to The Wire, but that chick does not look like Anne Heche at all! Hell, I even though that looked like Julianne Moore...

Munin

Carancho is fantastic and Ricardo Darin is the best actor to come out of Latin America in a while (see also: The Aura, Secret in their Eyes).

The Eagle can only be better than the mindboggingly retarded trash that was Centurion.

Talon

Solo said:
I would see The Eagle if not for Channing Tatum. Seriously, what the fuck is with Hollywood and casting this guy? He has no talent, he has no charisma, and while neither is required to be a big Hollywood star, he is not even (in my comfortable-with-my-sexuality opinion) good-looking. One of those three things is generally required, and he possesses none. Why is he getting work? Every time I see him attached to something it instantly turns me off from it. /rant
Step Up was exquisite.

Seda

Pelydr said:
No shit. I bet they don't even depict the boring ass city its name is based on.....it's just a fucking name.

Am I supposed to apologize for living there or something? I don't understand the hostility...

It's not like I'm arguing it should have been filmed here, most of the people around here are like

"A movie called Cedar Rapids? wtf is with that and why? what about? huh? why here?"

not

"A movie called Cedar Rapids? bout friggin time"

WrikaWrek

Banned
Solo said:
I would see The Eagle if not for Channing Tatum. Seriously, what the fuck is with Hollywood and casting this guy? He has no talent, he has no charisma, and while neither is required to be a big Hollywood star, he is not even (in my comfortable-with-my-sexuality opinion) good-looking. One of those three things is generally required, and he possesses none. Why is he getting work? Every time I see him attached to something it instantly turns me off from it. /rant

Motherfucker looks like John Cena.

Is Channing Tatum really that bad? Aside from his name (fairly douchey) I haven't seen any of his movies.

Was kinda looking forward to another roman era epic like The Eagle after seeing Centurion and Spartacus B&S...

INPAQ

Neo Member
Nothing really stands out, but I might fuck with Driving Angry, IN4 and Vanishing (expecting massive disappointments though..)

ryutaro's mama said:
Vanishing looks like a predictable Twilight Zone wannabe.

My prediction:
You're wrong.

Vanishing has been available as an On Demand rental through Comcast/X-Finity for awhile now. My wife and I rented it a few weeks ago and thought it was /ok/. The acting is borderline at times and the pacing drags but it's worth a viewing. As to the plot, think more
Roanoke
than your Twilight Zone scenario.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only one that looks interesting is the 5 Animated Short Films... loved Day and Night!

The whole thing about Cedar Rapids is hilarious. They were originally planning on filming the entire thing in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, but apparently they got there and said "yeah fuck this place" and went to some other Midwestern city. As a Cedar Rapids native, I totally agree with their decision.

Talon

wayward archer said:
Is Channing Tatum really that bad? Aside from his name (fairly douchey) I haven't seen any of his movies.

Was kinda looking forward to another roman era epic like The Eagle after seeing Centurion and Spartacus B&S...
He's not terribad, but he's a meathead in every sense of the word.

im surprised so many people want to see the eagle lol

the trailer is awful

terrible month, etc.

whats the deal with the way back? is it expanding this month?

Solo said:
He has to be sucking some producer's dick to get all these roles.

MAYBE I'll see True Grit or The Fighter. Black Swan was fucking awesome but I think I'm done with award season stuff. Nah, March is where it's at. Sucker Punch AND Battle LA? squee

Saw Black Swan and 127 Hours in January, doubt much awards stuff is going to open here in February, although it would be great if Blue Valentine, The Illusionist, or Rabbit Hole did.
Don't really know what to make of the next few months. Maybe on Unknown, The Adjustment Bureau, Hanna, and Source Code, and that's about it.

Drewsky

lordoftherink said:
Saw Black Swan and 127 Hours in January, doubt much awards stuff is going to open here in February, although it would be great if Blue Valentine, The Illusionist, or Rabbit Hole did.
Don't really know what to make of the next few months. Maybe on Unknown, The Adjustment Bureau, Hanna, and Source Code, and that's about it.
This is how it is where I live. In a small city, stuff never opens until months after it's supposed to, unless it's Twilight 4 or something in which case it opens right on time. I just saw 127 Hours last week, I'm just hoping Blue Valentine or Beutiful(sp?) opens up sometime soon.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Munin said:
Carancho is fantastic and Ricardo Darin is the best actor to come out of Latin America in a while (see also: The Aura, Secret in their Eyes).
Carancho was pretty good. Didn't work for me on the level that Secret in Their Eyes did, but good nonetheless

Biutiful and Another Year opened here this week, so planning to catch those

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I can do a pretty convincing Omar from the HBO programme The Wire!

I'll rent Cedar, but that's about it. Great thread as usual though, always appreciated.

Blader

HiResDes said:
OH MY GOD didn't know that was Channing Tatum, the guy makes Sam Worthington look like Daniel Day Lewis.

:lol

Damn you, I'm sick, don't make me laugh like that. :lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son is at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Only 11 reviews though, and one of them says it's the best in the "Big Momma" series.

Wes

venison crêpe
Of Gods and Men got rave reviews over here but it was such a limited release I didn't get to see it :(

HiResDes

Expendable. said:
Martin Lawrence hasn't had a "fresh" movie on Rotten Tomatoes in 21 years - http://imgur.com/a/JmUNc
Okay I have to say this just shows how big of discrepancy there is between what black people think of as good entertainment and everybody else...

Blue Streak, Life, Bad Boys, You So Crazy, and Boomerang are all good to great IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom