• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In May (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

attack the block and 13 assassins i think. would love to see tree of life this month too but i think the uk release has been screwed for a bit by the legal dispute between the rights holders.

.la1n

Kung Fu Panda 2 after having not given the first movie it's proper dues. Other than that I'll see Attack the Block. The rest can wait for rental status.

Solo said:
I would say Tree of Life but lolololol limited releases. Ill catch it in about August.

same....:/

If it's in some artsy theater here though I'm checking it out asap.

Other than the movie of the forever I'd see Pirates 4, Thor and Beaver.

I only wanted to see Beaver for Mel Gibson's performance and going by the reviews it's getting a lot of praise (aside from being a mediocre movie). So yeah definitely month one for me.

Blader5489 said:
It'll be on bluray in July. :lol

Actually found this:

THIS IS AN ERROR : the French law imposes a minimum four months delay between the theatrical release and the home-video release (with the exception of 3 months if the movie sells less than 200 tickets nationwide during its fourth week of theatrical release).

Thus "The Tree of Life" won't be available in France on blu-ray before September 18th 2011.

big ander

Discotheque said:
same....:/

If it's in some artsy theater here though I'm checking it out asap.

Other than the movie of the forever I'd see Pirates 4, Thor and Beaver.

I only wanted to see Beaver for Mel Gibson's performance and going by the reviews it's getting a lot of praise (aside from being a mediocre movie). So yeah definitely month one for me.
Actually, Kyle Killen's script has always been a big factor in praise for Beaver. His script is supposed to be excellent.

big ander said:
Actually, Kyle Killen's script has always been a big factor in praise for Beaver. His script is supposed to be excellent.

Yeah, it was #1 on the Black List. Then again, Cop Out and Law Abiding Citizen were also on the list and we all now how that turned out. :)

I'm seeing The Beaver tonight though, so I'll create an OT since I'm sure there is a lot to discuss.

Robot 492

Banned
Will definitely see:

Thor
The Hangover Part II
Pirates of the Caribbean 4
The Tree of Life (whenever it releases wide)

Might see:

Priest
Midnight in Paris
Kung Fu Panda 2

Raxus

"I'm Thor bitch!"

Thor and Kung Fu Panda 2 are my must see's.

Might see: Pirates 4 and The Hangover 2.

Kill it with Fire: Beaver and Priest.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lots of good stuff. I will definitely try to see Hangover II, Tree of Life and Bridesmaids at some point.

First I've heard of Everything Must Go but it sounds great. For some reason I'm always interested in movies with comics taking on a serious role.

Looks like mostly boring trash, but its a matter of opinion of course.

I typically hate comedies, dramas, and love stories. It's often worse when they combine two out of three of those things. I prefer action movies, especially if I am going to pay the retarded ticket prices. You can keep your movies that are supposed to teach life lessons too.

That said, if reviews are decent and I feel like I can budget it in;

Pirates: Assuming it gets a warm reception I will probably go see this with my mom.

Thor: I might go see this on my own, mainly just to get out of the house as I haven't seen a film since october or so.

Priest: I assume it's going to suck, so maybe it will get a netflix when it heads that way.

big ander

Expendable. said:
Yeah, it was #1 on the Black List. Then again, Cop Out and Law Abiding Citizen were also on the list and we all now how that turned out. :)

I'm seeing The Beaver tonight though, so I'll create an OT since I'm sure there is a lot to discuss.
I have faith in Killen's writing. LoneStar was the best written new drama of the fall and his script for the sci-fi pilot REM is getting rave reviews. I'd be willing to bet that, regardless of the quality of the film, his script is great.
Talkin about Killen is making me want to see The Beaver :p

big ander said:
I have faith in Killen's writing. LoneStar was the best written new drama of the fall and his script for the sci-fi pilot REM is getting rave reviews. I'd be willing to bet that, regardless of the quality of the film, his script is great.
Talkin about Killen is making me want to see The Beaver :p

I'm sure it's a good script, but most of the review blurbs are talking about the performance more than anything, and kinda bashing Jodie Foster's directing. But yeah hopefully this is a success because sadly he flopped on tv.

Anyways Pirates 4 easy box office winner this month (I would assume)

kaskade

Thor is staying up there. I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Hangover 2 is going to be a fun one to go to.

Arnie

Tree of Life and The Beaver look great, will watch them both. Will maybe watch Pirates as I'm sure a good swathe of my friends will be rushing to see it.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
You do know that The Death of Mr. Lazarescu had a heavy handed political message about medical practices in Romania right? I wouldn't call Four Months, Three Weeks, and Two Days a political film for it doesn't preach about what is right or what is wrong but is more about living through a few moments in reality hell.

geeko

Hangover 2, possibly Pirates 4, and maybe Kung Fu Panda.

BTW these threads are great Expendable, and I really look forward to them every month.
Just don't talk bad about Sly or we will beat you!

Replicant

I've seen Thor. Tickets price here in Australia is too expensive to see anything that is not blockbuster-ish so I'll just see anything Sci-fi/Action/Adventure/Horror, which means Pirates 4 and Priest.

big ander

Replicant said:
I've seen Thor. Tickets price here in Australia is too expensive to see anything that is not blockbuster-ish so I'll just see anything Sci-fi/Action/Adventure/Horror, which means Pirates 4 and Priest.
Hm, are ticket prices more for non-blockbusters? If not, that doesn't make sense to me because I don't think blockbusters have a better chance of being better movies.

Replicant

big ander said:
Hm, are ticket prices more for non-blockbusters? If not, that doesn't make sense to me because I don't think blockbusters have a better chance of being better movies.

No, no, I meant in terms of bang for money. I know it's ridiculous but I have no way of measuring whether or not a movie is good or not, even after reading reviews. Most of the time something will be well-reviewed and I still don't like it. Unless it's something that's extremely well-praised like "The Social Network", I often choose not to see drama films in cinemas.

I know being blockbuster doesn't mean the film will be good. But most blockbuster films are the kind of films that I enjoy watching on big screens (action, adventures, horror - my crack, sci-fi, etc). So when push comes to shove (ie. now that I don't have much money), I relegate everything else to DVD rental while I only go to cinemas for blockbuster stuff.

MrPliskin

Banned
Will watch Last Night (Knightley's smile has powers over me) and On Stranger Tides. Don't have money for anything else :(

Damn, wasn't a fan of The Beaver. Gibson nearly saves it, but the big tonal shifts and the dry, serious approach to the screenplay hurts it. Some parts honestly felt like a Lifetime movie. I really hate to say that, because I really dug the trailer and was hoping for the best. It's still worth seeing I suppose, Anton Yelchin does a good job as well as Jennifer Lawrence. Their characters are quite cliche though and it seems to go through a lot of "indie movie" tropes.

C+

Kraftwerk said:
If you are part of the human race, it is your duty to watch The Tree Of Life.

i sure hope it doesn't suck

apparently people have already made up their mind that it's the greatest thing ever

brianjones said:
i sure hope it doesn't suck

apparently people have already made up their mind that it's the greatest thing ever

It is this summer's Movie of the Forever, of course. I think so many people are going to be disappointed. I've heard many reports that there is barely a narrative. I can't wait though.

Snuggler said:
So it'll be just like all of Malick's other films?

Eh, I'd argue all of his other films have, at the very least, a clear beginning and ending. This seems like vignettes on life and capturing specific emotions.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Expendable. said:
Eh, I'd argue all of his other films have, at the very least, a clear beginning and ending. This seems like vignettes on life and capturing specific emotions.
To be fair I've seen people describing his other films as being "light" on "narrative" when that's not completely accurate at all, I'd expect it to be the same Tree of life.

Then again the kind of film you described, sounds exactly like something I'd love. (especially if it's malick).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom