• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werner Herzog watched 30 minutes of 'Barbie'

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"
Legendary director Werner Herzog was asked by Piers Morgan on the latter’s “Uncensored” talk show to weigh in on the “Barbenheimer” phenomenon, but Herzog was no expert on the matter. The “Grizzly Man” and “Aguirre, the Wrath of God” filmmaker never got around to seeing Christopher Nolan’s atomic bomb epic, and he seemed to be chilled to the bone after watching only 30 minutes of Greta Gerwig’s blockbuster Mattel comedy.

“I have not seen ‘Oppenheimer’ yet, but I will do it. ‘Barbie,’ I managed to see the first half-hour,” Herzog said. “I was curious and I wanted to watch it because I was curious. And I still don’t have an answer, but I have a suspicion – could it be that the world of Barbie is sheer hell? For a movie ticket, as an audience, you can witness sheer hell, as close as it gets.”
"

(timecoded)

Saber

Gold Member
Barbie was the kind of movie that bait lot of little girls into watching because it's Barbie, so obviously is silly and funny, and best of all safe even in the eyes of parents. And thats it, its a travesty social garbage disguised as Barbie.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think a lot of people (women?) watch The Masked Singer which is also sheer hell so he may be onto something.

cow-ne-yo-masked-singer-122023-f75a2ab86c2c4eaa958ffc2280b2ccd1.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Werner has made a lot of stuff I enjoy. I think his take is that the barbie world is like hell.

I wonder if after 30 minutes he just said turn it off I can’t handle the hell.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I've also grown curious and want to see it, but I doubt I'll get past the first 10 mins, let alone half an hour.

Barbie was ok, I didn't hate it. Don't really care to ever watch it again, but it was alright/10. The only reason I even watched it was that it was quasi-acceptable to have it playing around a 3 y/o.

I still have yet to see Oppenheimer, I want to, but when I find I have the time, I kind of want to spend it trying to catch up on my backlog of games or spending that limited time with my wife. One day.

Vick

Perhaps one day I'll try to watch it too.

That would be especially hilarious coming from a man who was once hit by a bullet in the middle of an interview and just sort of shrugged it off.

Man these were amazing, never seen those. Each day is harder for me to grasp how can someone be such a comedic genius while having the guts to claim he doesn't understand irony.

Never heard him speak italian and he's been here countless times, very curious now especially because of how humble he is. Wonder if it's at least a tenth as good as Kinski's:

Neon Xenon

I thought I hadn't seen anything from Werner Herzog until I remembered Grizzly Man. Which I liked (and is still unintentionally funny to me, looking back at it). I should sit down and watch more from him.

Werner Herzog himself seems seems like a funny, smart guy. I'd rather listen to him talk about Barbie instead of watching it myself.

RedC

I still haven't seen Barbie, but I will be mentally prepared for hell when I do.

Coincidentally enough, I just saw a script consultant, who happens to be an African American woman who still has her Barbies from childhood, recently watched Barbie and commented it was "silly, on-the-nose, and forced the theme of patriarchy and girl power down our throats in a very inauthentic way".

I'm curious to see If I agree with that assessment after I finally watch it.

Last edited:
He made it further than I did, turned the movie off after 15 minutes (too much pink). Watched a supercut of Michael Cera cameos though, those were fun.

Also, just recently watch Oppenheimer, it was pretty good. Would recommend

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Herzog is a treasure. His perspective on life is that of a profound and suffering artist. Brilliantly creative with hints of violent derangement. Not a single moment is mundane.

My dude, that's not a paragraph I expect to precede a video of an old dude talking about hypnotizing chickens behind a Vice royalty free pop track

Top Bottom